Ready To Start My New Life...then Why So Nervous Mike!

tiger31
Posted
Posted

I don,t think selling up completly is a wise idea myself,i,ve been here 18 months and very bored .I am keeping my house as a safety net just in case things go wrong ,as i rent out the rooms it provides income for me to live here.one thing i get frustrated about is not being able to speak the language ,yes lots of locals speak some english but when your in there company they always talk in there native tongue so you can,t get involved in a good ol chin wag . well i,ll keep going for the time being and see where life takes me

• Like 4

Dr. Cockroach
Posted
Posted

Tiger31,

I owned a condo once, but found it to be a stupid idea so I sold it. It acted like an anchor and I am not one who likes to be forced on staying in a place just because! So, I rented ever since.

The selling I was talking about is pretty much my belongings. Car, TV, furniture, my comfy life, etc. Things I got used to have.

I used to say, if it fits in my SUV, I will get it otherwise, I will rent it! So I am kind of used to it.

As far as getting bored is concerned, luckily for me, I can do without people. Give me a book and forget about me :) Develop some habit that you can control.

Kuya,

Regarding residency regulations, yes. They could change when it comes to foreigners but hey, why speculate? I could get hit by a bus if I go out. Does that mean I should always stay home?

If you get married to a native though, you will have more chances of staying. The main thing is, you be happy with it!

Zanby.

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I don,t think selling up completly is a wise idea myself,i,ve been here 18 months and very bored .I am keeping my house as a safety net just in case things go wrong ,as i rent out the rooms it provides income for me to live here.one thing i get frustrated about is not being able to speak the language ,yes lots of locals speak some english but when your in there company they always talk in there native tongue so you can,t get involved in a good ol chin wag . well i,ll keep going for the time being and see where life takes me

Well. Perhaps good doing as you say, if having loads of money,

but money from living place in the old place can be needed to start up in the new place :)

(I have moved longer distances two times so far, and got rid of all living places allways (appartment/villa, even vacation house because no need of any if living in nice such place all the time :) I will need money to start up a company too, because no hurry but in the long run I will become out of money if I never will earn any more money.)

"in there company". You mean "be in their company" ? You don't have any work or such? If you are short of hobbies, perhaps you better get something more to do?

Have you started learning the local language?

(That will be one of my main priorities after I have moved there. I'm not aiming at being any good at it, but enough to manage the daily life, so I can manage mostly without English - and wife. And it can be good to understand if they say anything about yourself too :)

• Like 2

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted (edited)
Kuya, Regarding residency regulations, yes. They could change when it comes to foreigners but hey, why speculate? I could get hit by a bus if I go out. Does that mean I should always stay home? If you get married to a native though, you will have more chances of staying. The main thing is, you be happy with it!

Hi Zanby,

Yeah it will probably end up that way ie getting married. I don't consider myself a sexpat. I want one fine lady to stay with for good and I'm ready to marry when I find her. Just don't want to get deported mid way hahaha. Its not clouding my visit in any way so thats ok.

Edited by Kuya Fred

Adventurer
Posted
Posted (edited)

I agree. I would say come and live here for a few months before making long term plans. I have been coming here since 2008 with about 5 trips under my belt and about 1.5 years here.

About 6 months ago I was so excited to come here and finally leave Aussie.

I'm totally bored here at this beautiful beach where I live. I'm going to get married soon to my dream girl but I see our future back in OZ. I would like to go back there and get a good job, work hard for awhile and save to buy our own restaurant there. I hope to get my wife a visa as well but that might take time. We will have children but we want to have them in Aussie with much better medical facilities etc.

We are moving to Cebu city soon and I have lived there before but it will be different now I'm engaged and not single.

Overall though there is good and bad with any country I now realize it's all about what you make of it. The problem i had though is that I had my girlfriend here and I was so looking forward to been with her. Now we are together and in a new stage we see out future more in Australia for the next few years at least but it might be possible we come back here but for now it's time to plan to go back. I also have a lot of stuff I brought over so that's also a bit of an issue.

Edited by Adventurer
  • Like 2

tiger31
Posted
Posted

Well. Perhaps good doing as you say, if having loads of money,

but money from living place in the old place can be needed to start up in the new place :)

(I have moved longer distances two times so far, and got rid of all living places allways (appartment/villa, even vacation house because no need of any if living in nice such place all the time :) I will need money to start up a company too, because no hurry but in the long run I will become out of money if I never will earn any more money.)

"in there company". You mean "be in their company" ? You don't have any work or such? If you are short of hobbies, perhaps you better get something more to do?

Have you started learning the local language?

(That will be one of my main priorities after I have moved there. I'm not aiming at being any good at it, but enough to manage the daily life, so I can manage mostly without English - and wife. And it can be good to understand if they say anything about yourself too :)

no real hobbies as such ,as for the language well nothing registers in my brain lol .my gf spoke very little english when we met but after 18 months living with me she,s done very well and i,m proud of her but as for me learning not much hope i can,t even remember what i had for dinner the previous night lol.
  • Like 1

tiger31
Posted
Posted

I agree. I would say come and live here for a few months before making long term plans. I have been coming here since 2008 with about 5 trips under my belt and about 1.5 years here.

About 6 months ago I was so excited to come here and finally leave Aussie.

I'm totally bored here at this beautiful beach where I live. I'm going to get married soon to my dream girl but I see our future back in OZ. I would like to go back there and get a good job, work hard for awhile and save to buy our own restaurant there. I hope to get my wife a visa as well but that might take time. We will have children but we want to have them in Aussie with much better medical facilities etc.

We are moving to Cebu city soon and I have lived there before but it will be different now I'm engaged and not single.

Overall though there is good and bad with any country I now realize it's all about what you make of it. The problem i had though is that I had my girlfriend here and I was so looking forward to been with her. Now we are together and in a new stage we see out future more in Australia for the next few years at least but it might be possible we come back here but for now it's time to plan to go back. I also have a lot of stuff I brought over so that's also a bit of an issue.

I agree with most of what you say my girl is 40 so she can still earn money back in the u.k which is where i see us going .we might return in a few years time but you never know. The philippines ain,t for everyone some people can adapt ok others will struggle .cutting all ties with your mother country and selling up is still very risky in my view .
  • Like 1

GregZ
Posted
Posted

Lovely topic this one... I never had a doubt about what I set out to do. I've been moving all over the world my adult life though and find new culture and places and people interesting. Once I decided I wanted to be with my girl FOREVER I sold everything I could, stored the rest and moved to Cebu. I was in love with her... now I love her whole family and signed up for the package deal. :540: We are waiting on a visa to go to the USA for a while but I see more future in Cebu & Mindinao than the states.

Noteworthy of my situation is that I had already closed and was liquidating my business before my girl came along. At the time we started talking I was trying to figure out what I wanted when "I grew up" (I'm somewhere around 50 now). I saw a good time doing the full time RV thing, but I would have surely gotten bored by myself after a while. Also, I plan ahead pretty well so have guaranteed income til the end of days. The only thing I was missing was happiness, which material things have NEVER brought me in the past and I expected that to continue. I've found my happiness. :dance:

As far as the couple that expressed language desire... NEVER give up, never surrender.... check out this topic for Cebuano (also called Visayan) and a little Tagalog. I'm still adding flash cards. I am rotten at language myself, but after 5 months I'm beginning to understand and everyone here appreciates my efforts AND A GOOD LAUGH when I mess up. It also makes them feel more comfortable trying English around me. :th_goodidea: :cool_beans:

http://www.philippines-expats.com/index.php/topic/13277-english-cebuano-flash-cards/

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted

no real hobbies as such ,as for the language well nothing registers in my brain lol .my gf spoke very little english when we met but after 18 months living with me she,s done very well and i,m proud of her but as for me learning not much hope i can,t even remember what i had for dinner the previous night lol.

Yes, it's a problem if not remembering anything.

(Until a few years ago I could learn things fast, but then a bloody insect bite me, giving me a virus and brain inflamation. Since then I have a good long memory still, but I'm short of short memory :) Not much use of the long memory for new things, when the short memory is so bad it let very few new things through...)

But why are you short of hobbies???

If you have problem finding any, I can give you some of mine :)

(I have more hobbies than I would have chance to do enough of even if I would have time to spend 24 hours 7 days a week just for hobbies, so I have problem understanding how some can be short of them. (Several sports, nature, and combinations of them as sailing. Chess, poker, computer games. Small children are funny. Music, read and write, research interesting things. Check Filipin culture...)

• Like 1