Ready To Start My New Life...then Why So Nervous Mike!

Mike from BDA
Posted
Posted

Jack...its unbearable here now..especially with the time fast approaching..

yesterday i took off and had a great time having a few beers and playing cards and dominioes with friends. i think that a much better use of my time then being here. :dance:

yes my head is spinning all the time...how can it not i guess ..for such a huge life-changing decision!

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I can relate to this. I have about 6 weeks left until my last day worked before I retire. Every day it gets harder and harder to stay focused on getting the job done. Especially since a great deal of my work is self initiated and I don't really want to get too involved in projects that will go beyond my last day worked.

One disappointment is that a major project I pushed for and am managing will not be completed before I leave. It should already be done but delay after delay outside of my control makes it look like it won't be completed until after I retire. I briefly considered delaying my retirement until this big project is done... then realized that life at work will go on without me and I would rather be starting the next chapter in my life in the Philippines.

• Like 3

Mike from BDA
Posted
Posted

yes exactly earthdome, trying to do the bare minimum here as well and staying well away from any projects. In fact i have told my bosses here that the best i can do for them now is train my replacement!!

I am not sweating much more over it because, as you rightly said, "life at work will go on without me and I would rather be starting the next chapter in my life in the Philippines."

Cheers

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

yes exactly earthdome, trying to do the bare minimum here as well and staying well away from any projects. In fact i have told my bosses here that the best i can do for them now is train my replacement!!

I am not sweating much more over it because, as you rightly said, "life at work will go on without me and I would rather be starting the next chapter in my life in the Philippines."

Cheers

Hello Mike from Bermuda,

A major life changing event such as this could give you many sleepless nights and anxiety attacks. I would say it's

part of life having some speed bumps along the way. You ain't human if you don't feel any anxious moments in life.

We do however, sincerely hope that you would find some lessons learn from this wonderful forum. OCT 24 is just

around the corner. May I suggest that you carefully review your things to do list and start re-prioritizing more vital

items before the chit hits the fan. I would hate to arrive at the airport in panic because I forgot to take care of my

dog I left behind. The attack of the spinning head will do this to you.....he, he.

I also think it would be prudent to have an exit plan if things don't work out in the Philippines. Not necessarily go

back home but perhaps exploring other regions. Depending on your finances, you can budget the first two weeks

as a tourist (wine and dine, various beach resorts, etc) and then get down to business of actually living on the local

economy.

From here on out, you are stepping forward into a new and exciting adventure. I'm really excited for you! Thank

you for sharing your thoughts. I'm sure other members following your footsteps will learn from you as well.

Respectfully -- Jake

Edited by Jake
spill chek
  • Like 2

Mike from BDA
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the comments Jake,

I beleive I have done as much planning as I can do. I joined this board a few months ago, and while I do not post much, i am constantly reading through the various forums and getting as much information as possible. and I must say this is a GREAT SITE for gathering intel...so a big thanks to all the contributors out there. :thumbsup:

so far my only exit plan is a return trip back home with some small savings stashed away in order to help get restarted. Havent thought about other places as yet...but who knows?? I hear on this forum somewhere that Thailand is nice...in fact in doing my research i understand that I will required to exit and re-enter the Philippines at some point in the future, so that may present a perfect opportunity to go there and check it out first hand.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

7 weeks to go for me! It does get harder everyday ha ha

• Like 1

Dr. Cockroach
Posted
Posted

I was planning on sending my resignation in December, while in the RP, but then I said, why wait!?

So, I resigned this Monday. What a relief I am jobless and no more work !!! :cheersty:

5 weeks to go!!

• Like 1

ibemarshall
Posted
Posted

Light at the end of the tunnel is turning out to be the EXIT light for you Bob, Earthdome, Tuka and Zanby...and not the headlight of a Freight Train as is so often imagined!

I for one, with many many others who visit this forum, appreciate you all sharing your thoughts, feelings and experiences as it provides great "food for thought" and insight that we... who are looking to jump the oceans to participate in all things Philippines....are hungry to devore!

If you get to LAX area and have some time, be sure to message me so we can meet up...

Best Of Luck :attention: Cheers~~ :cheersty:

• Like 3

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I went through the same thing but now that I've made the move and lived here a while I've found that I miss the challenge of my job quite a bit. It seems completely nuts the petty things that I let bother me. Nothing

puts things in clearer perspective then hindsight.

• Like 4

Dr. Cockroach
Posted
Posted

Actually, I did retire couple of times before but it was here in the US. However, I got bored of doing nothing and just travel so, I went back to work.

I did 3 different companies (consulting) but then it hit me again. Employees these days worry about keeping their jobs rather than doing it! So, you see them busy pretending and kissing asses coz they wouldn't know how to do things and they need to keep that pay check coming!

And when you end up pretty much doing their work coz yours depends on it you endup saying, to hell... I am going to the beach :cheersty:

• Like 2