Best Of Filipino Foods

gaga4
Posted
Posted

Try making sinigang with miso. Very good.

Inihaw na panga ng tuna... to die for.

• 4 months later...
sunrise7bi
Posted
Posted

One of the best Filipino food is Adobo, it's very famous. My boyfriend taught me how to cook it. It taste so good. Whenever I came home my grandma always served Adobo in our lunch :)

I should try this!

jon1
Posted
Posted

i prefer the kinilaw (tuna, shrimp or dory), Laing (taro leaves, coconut milk, fish, chili peppers), and of course pancit bihon (rice noodles, chicken, vegetables). Luckily for me my wife is an excellent cook and makes awesome prawns among other things. 

• Like 2

Malcolm Graham
Posted
Posted

ginataang gulay is an amazing dish but then so is bistek tagalog, gambus and of course bangus sisig

• Like 2

gaga4
Posted
Posted (edited)

we can go on all day on Filipino food... and I believe they are all good - except for those that are not too healthy to eat. Lechon is great but its cholesterol and fat city. The healthy foods (like in any other country) are the vegetable and fish dishes. Filipinos are not usually in to fresh veges or salads but the cooked ones are great. Each region has their version of healthy food. Starting from the dinengdeng in the Ilocos to the Utan in the Visayas. The Visayans and the Bicolanos tend to put coconut milk in their Utans a they taste great.

There were 2 recently honored veterans in the Philippines who are over 100 years old who hail from the Ilocos. I believe they have lived this long because of their healthy eating habits.

Fish dishes are great too. Anything grilled and stuffed with tomatoes and onions are fantastic. The more recent ones I've had that are so good are grilled tuna jaw marinated in lime and soy sauce. I always look for that when I visit.

If you are ever driving to the north, try to stop by Rosario, La Union. There is a very nice cafe called SOUL (Spice of Urban Life) Cafe along the hiway that serves the best dinengdeng and papait I have ever had. If I recall correctly its just before the fork going to Baguio.

Edited by gaga4
  • Like 1

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

I am a fan of sisig, but could not believe how much I enjoyed the crocodile sisig I had in Palawan at Kinabuchs (sp?)!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Veverly10
Posted
Posted

sounds yum! where can i find recipes for philippino food?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

sounds yum! where can i find recipes for philippino food?

Hmm well you list your country of birth as Philippines, surely you know someone who has a recipe?  :)

• Like 1

crad
Posted
Posted

recipe for Adobo is whatever you have, it doesn't matter what it is, as long as you do it in soy sauce and vinegar. It can be anything.

Filipino cuisine is just not all that great although it doesn't deserve the panning it can get, as it is not too bad. But it is nevertheless not brilliant. There is a reason why you never see ready made Adobo sauce on sale outside the Philippines, like you do Italian Bolognese sauce, Thai green or Indian type curries, and so on in every supermarket. Nobody wants to know

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
There is a reason why you never see ready made Adobo sauce on sale outside the Philippines

Boy, they have packs of Adobo mix all over San Diego at seafood city, vons even at the Navy commissary. Most likely because of the large Filipino community there.

• Like 1