Best Of Filipino Foods

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Sorry Tom but it has to be said. Maybe I will just shut the door, on my way out.

Have you ever tried the ignore button?

Does anyone know how hard it is to please everyone? The funniest part is that a few members complaining about a certain member but they keep reading and replying to what is said.

Member Bruce was another although there are many that used to get me complaints but some loved him and some hated him so what do we do? make it a private club? do as I see here and attack members just because you or someone do not agree? 

Or do we all grow balls and realize life is not perfect, forums are not perfect and members are not always perfect.

I am sick to death of this and its one reason this forum never grows is because members who have been here a long time want no one else's opinion unless its their own and then kick up a stink when they think someone else may have a different view.

Its not a private club its a damn forum, cyber space to be exact. Do we all want to have a vote on who is a member? Perhaps paid membership only with voting rights is the way to go or perhaps we all chill out and just get on with it.

What are we going to do when the next member is not accepted into the group? When someone visits a bar and they don't like the guy five stools down they ignore him, not so hard to do.

I've seen some shit, been harassed and threatened over the years of running this forum but at the end of the day I know that no matter what I do to please some, next week there will be another drama or problem which most members do not even know that is going on so if the members decide that this is not the forum for then well I guess good luck to all because the same shit happens in all forums.

• Like 5

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Understood, You'r the Boss.          post-2148-0-72576600-1402657015.jpg

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Another great Filipino staple is Pancit....................Pancit Canton is one of my favorites,,,wife doesn't feel like cooking, quick run across the street to the panicteria,,,,,,,,,,and im all set,,,enough for 2 P86

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

And now to further carry on with the proper subject...  BEST OF FILIPINO FOODS     right, guys and gals?

i am bob
Posted
Posted

There are quite a few Filipino dishes that I thought would totally gross me out...  Balut, Sisig, all those - ugh - wonderful dishes...

Well, a few months ago, i finally got up the courage (liquid) to try Sisig...  Also known by it's English name of Pig's Face Soup.  Other than the eyeballs floating in my bowl,  I have to admit it was sssooooommmmmeeee goooooooooooodddd!!!!   Kind of rich but not too rich...  A pork flavor that I can't quite match in a regular pork dish and one that I liked better too!  I will try it again one of these days and without the liquid courage to see if it was as good as I think I thought it was and let you know.

Incidentally, a friend told me after that he thinks the eye balls were added for my benefit...  He's never had them in his Sisig...   Then again he was born here in Canada and has only been "home" with his mom during summer vacation.

• Like 2

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
it is nothing to do with any of that. How come Thai people or even Italian people for that matter, can manage to make their restaurants pay, which they do. It is because people who are not Thai, and not Italian, who have never been to Thailand or Italy, and who have never shared a bed with a Thai or Italian woman or ever even dreamt of doing so, are nevertheless still interested in Thai and Italian food. They think Thai and Italian food is good regardless. Whereas almost nobody is interested in Filipino food. You can't sell Filipino food easily, no matter what your childcare arrangements are, whether you have a maid, or what.

Here in Toronto, it is not uncommon for workplaces to hold potluck affairs.  Now, Toronto is very multicultural.  Given a spread of Italian, Chinese, Indian, North American and what have you, the Filipino lumpia and pancit will be the first dishes finished.  And, what follows is the barrage of questions - where can we buy these, how are these made?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Americano
Posted
Posted

it is nothing to do with any of that. How come Thai people or even Italian people for that matter, can manage to make their restaurants pay, which they do. It is because people who are not Thai, and not Italian, who have never been to Thailand or Italy, and who have never shared a bed with a Thai or Italian woman or ever even dreamt of doing so, are nevertheless still interested in Thai and Italian food. They think Thai and Italian food is good regardless. Whereas almost nobody is interested in Filipino food. You can't sell Filipino food easily, no matter what your childcare arrangements are, whether you have a maid, or what.

Here in Toronto, it is not uncommon for workplaces to hold potluck affairs.  Now, Toronto is very multicultural.  Given a spread of Italian, Chinese, Indian, North American and what have you, the Filipino lumpia and pancit will be the first dishes finished.  And, what follows is the barrage of questions - where can we buy these, how are these made?

Of course the lumpia will be finished first because people who love Chinese food think those are Chinese Egg Rolls.  They never heard of lumpia unless they spent some time in the Philippines or are a Filipino.

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have been living in the Philippines for almost 5 years now but I can't think of one Filipino dish that I eat. My wife still eats some of the seafood crap sometimes and pork that is all fat but I don't.  Sometimes I ask her, "Where did all the meat go why is it only fat, did the butcher get it?"  Why would someone like to eat just pork fat and rice?  My wife has learned to make Western dishes and when we travel we eat at restaurants that serve Western food. The only thing I like in Jollybees is the fried chicken but even then very often its undercooked with blood still in it.

I eat my wife's cooking and very few others in the Philippines.  LBM is only one bite away.

Edited by Americano

crad
Posted
Posted

Filipino food is not bad if you can get good ingredients and if it is cooked well. I have learned how to cook Filipino food and know how to make a decent meal as well or better than most of them. The problem is that too often they just don't care about how their food is prepared and will eat any old garbage. Though even when it is done well, Filipino food just doesn't compare with the many other national cuisines it is surrounded by that are just superior. It is the same in Europe. Some cuisines are just better than others on the whole. Polish and Czech food is not so bad, but how many people would actually say that it is better than French or Italian?

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
Of course the lumpia will be finished first because people who love Chinese food think those are Chinese Egg Rolls. They never heard of lumpia unless they spent some time in the Philippines or are a Filipino.

I am sure that logic holds up some of the time, but the point is, when they realize that it is not Chinese,  they go back for more!

I say some of the time because at times, they know who brought what.  Either there was a list that people filled up to say what it is they are bringing, or the dishes have tags beside them so people know who brought it and what it is that they are eating.

• Like 1