Best Of Filipino Foods

i am bob
Posted
Posted
As for best Filipino food?  Most will not agree, but I find myself spoiled for choice.  When in Manila, there are just too many good restaurants in Pasay, Makati, The Fort, pockets of QC like Katipunan, Tomas Morato, etc.    OK, right now I am craving mango, so my vote goes to Conti's mango torte.  And, since I always crave chocolate, some divine Toblerone sansrival from a bakery in Greenhills!

What a bully!!!     :mocking:  :thumbsup:

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

:thumbsup: Jack is right, the absolute best Filipino food is what Fe says it is! 

:999:  We just had a Philippine restaurant open in little Port Charlotte I went liked the food, but there were more people in the kitchen than eating in the place.  The only other I have been to was in Chicago, absolutely great Sunday brunch.  :540: 

• Like 1

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
so what. If you have money already, then what is to stop you, from making some more?

Outside of the Philippines, they do not have maids to look after the household and the children.  With work and home demands, they would prefer not to take on the burden of running a business.  You can hire all the help you want to run a store or restaurant, but it will still use up your time and attention. 

When they leave the Philippines, they leave friends and non-immediate family behind.  They try to make up for that by spending as much time with family that they have with them.

Back to the topic of best food - there is a Pampanga dessert called Tibok-Tibok made of carabao milk that true to its name, is close to my heart.  It's a shame it isn't available in Manila.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
It's a shame it isn't available in Manila

Mac brings up a great point, there are so many regional differences that the something with the same name tastes completely different. One of my favorite veggie dishes is Pinakbet, but it really depends on what area the cook is from as to how it tastes.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Mac brings up a great point, there are so many regional differences that the something with the same name tastes completely different. One of my favorite veggie dishes is Pinakbet, but it really depends on what area the cook is from as to how it tastes.

How Very true!

I think you will find that this is another reason, that Filipinos won't open a resto, outside the PI, they know that to get a real Authentic meal, the Cook, the Ingredients have to come from the Area it relates to. We have heard of Authentic foods before. I feel the Pride of the Filipino, Would be hurt to much, if their offerings were not, to their own liking and therefore not to others and they now understand, the meaning of Authentic. IMHO

My wife often asks me Why, call it an "English Breakfast"  when I have made it in Dumaguete and it is to me, only Bacon, egg, Tomatoes and maybe Mushrooms ( If, I can get them) English Style, is not English

:tiphat:   :morning1:  Morning All.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Authentic meal, the Cook, the Ingredients have to come from the Area it relates to

Great point Jack. Now that you mention it during the 18 years we lived in the states, all the best Filipino food we had was in the homes of other Filipinos. They either cook it there or everyone brings something. Having said that a lot of the Filipino resturants were of the Turo-Turo or point point joints. Almost like the little eateries you see here. Chaffing dishes with food in them. Just indoors with restrooms lololol :thumbsup:

• Like 3

crad
Posted
Posted

so what. If you have money already, then what is to stop you, from making some more?

Outside of the Philippines, they do not have maids to look after the household and the children.  With work and home demands, they would prefer not to take on the burden of running a business.  You can hire all the help you want to run a store or restaurant, but it will still use up your time and attention. 

When they leave the Philippines, they leave friends and non-immediate family behind.  They try to make up for that by spending as much time with family that they have with them.

Back to the topic of best food - there is a Pampanga dessert called Tibok-Tibok made of carabao milk that true to its name, is close to my heart.  It's a shame it isn't available in Manila.

it is nothing to do with any of that. How come Thai people or even Italian people for that matter, can manage to make their restaurants pay, which they do. It is because people who are not Thai, and not Italian, who have never been to Thailand or Italy, and who have never shared a bed with a Thai or Italian woman or ever even dreamt of doing so, are nevertheless still interested in Thai and Italian food. They think Thai and Italian food is good regardless. Whereas almost nobody is interested in Filipino food. You can't sell Filipino food easily, no matter what your childcare arrangements are, whether you have a maid, or what.

If Filipinpo food was easy to sell, then you would see as many Filipino restaurants as you do Thai or Italian ones. But because you can't sell Filipino food easily, you don't see them hardly ever if at all.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Whereas almost nobody is interested in Filipino food. You can't sell Filipino food easily

Interesting theory....but bottom line is........who cares? we all have our favorite Filipino foods and our least favorites. I get plenty of home cooked Filipino food right here :tiphat:  Eat what I like and ignore the rest :thumbsup:

• Like 2

crad
Posted
Posted

I think you will find that this is another reason, that Filipinos won't open a resto, outside the PI, they know that to get a real Authentic meal, the Cook, the Ingredients have to come from the Area it relates to.

I don't really agree with that in the sense that a cook or chef, does not have to come from Thailand, Italy or the Philippines themselves to be able to prepare and present the respective cuisines, adequately, to a decent standard. It is their job. A decent cook, with a little trial and error, practice, and effort, should be able to prepare and present ANY cuisine.

but the customers think differently. Having a 'prop' is very important to appeal to them, because the customers are superficial idiots basically. They have it in their heads that just because the cook is Thai or Italian themselves, then the food must necessarily be much better than if they are not. When really a proper professional cook, wherever they come from, should be able to do it just as well.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Whereas almost nobody is interested in Filipino food.  

What, of course there are plenty of us that are interested, why do you think we live here?

You know, you sound just like another, now gone member, I am beginning to think that YOU, have never been to the Philippines. Full of Cut and Paste. No own Opinions and forward thinking just putting down, down, down.

If you had been here and knew anything, at all about the Food, Culture, you would not be talking like you are.

Sorry Tom but it has to be said.

Maybe I will just shut the door, on my way out.

• Like 2