Best Of Filipino Foods

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Pretty well all the large grocery stores in Canada carry Adobo sauce in powder or premade as well.

• Like 1

crad
Posted
Posted

you will not see anything Filipino in just about any UK supermarket or even in a grocery store in an area with a lot of ethnic minorities and where you might see stuff like big 50 kilo sacks of Thai rice. Well I have not seen anything, though sometimes I see south east Asian brands like Singapore Tiger Beer I have not seen anything Filipino at all. No Red Horse. No San Miguel. No nothing. I have not seen anything Filipino in any Asian stores either, though they are mostly Chinese oriented, not south east Asian, i have seen Thai brands in those places like fish sauce I recognised from Thailand. Nothing Filipino though. And this is when the UK has much more Filipinos than any other country in Europe, in fact almost double the number of the next one behind, Italy.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

you will not see anything Filipino in just about any UK supermarket or even in a grocery store in an area with a lot of ethnic minorities and where you might see stuff like big 50 kilo sacks of Thai rice. Well I have not seen anything, though sometimes I see south east Asian brands like Singapore Tiger Beer I have not seen anything Filipino at all. No Red Horse. No San Miguel. No nothing. I have not seen anything Filipino in any Asian stores either, though they are mostly Chinese oriented, not south east Asian, i have seen Thai brands in those places like fish sauce I recognised from Thailand. Nothing Filipino though. And this is when the UK has much more Filipinos than any other country in Europe, in fact almost double the number of the next one behind, Italy.

Thanks for that comment frankly its hard to understand why. Maybe the only stock is found in a very few Filipino owned specialty shops?

The area we live also has a large Filipino American population and Filipino canned bottled items can be found in many stores. On the other hand there are very few Filipino stores mostly like what you see in UK the other Asian ones.

crad
Posted
Posted

the Filipinos are clearly talented because they have got invisibility down to a fine art. For a nation state of its large size (12th largest in the world), and with a considerable number of working age OFW's to boot working overseas, then it is nothing short of ridiculous that they have managed to pull off this incredible feat, or invisibility and disguise. Obviously if you sleep with a Filipino, it is like driving in traffic and you only see the one in front. To everybody else, hardly any of whom are ever going, or could possibly want to sleep with Filipinos, then the Phlippines and Filipinos are de facto invisible,

MikeB
Posted
Posted

The topic is "Best of Filipino Foods". 

• Like 1

crad
Posted
Posted

of course it is but why does nobody know about any of these 'best Filipino foods'. Why are are Filipinos and their food invisible on the international stage. Despite being such a populous country and not only that, but with a large proportion of their working age population overseas too. There are lots of Filipinos overseas but there are no visible Filipino commodities overseas. Nobody ever sees any advertisement, attempting to persuade them to buy a Filipino meal, or go to the Philippines on vacation. When Thailand and Malaysia, not only place advertisements in newspapers, but can advertise on the side of buses. Increasingly I am seeing package - type vacations advertised where potential customers are asked to consider taking visits to more than one south east Asian country i.e. the 'Mekong Experience' where, if they agree to part with a few thousand dollars, then they can get on this plane in London and go for this 20 day tour round Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam, stay in nice hotels, go on these boats down the river, see all these people in traditional dress and Buddhist temples, and eat really groovy oriental meals. Even Burma/Myanmar are starting to get into these advertisements now, but the Philippines is continuing to get totally ignored. Apart from apparently the USA, where some of the posters here have reported that there are loads of them, like one on every corner, I have never seen one, not one, Filipino restaurant outside the Philippines in 25 years of world travel. No Filipino goods, branded or otherwise, on supermarket shelves. No exports that anybody associates with the Philippines, like you might associate Thailand with fish sauce or rice, how could you not when you can walk into a grocery store 6000 miles away from Thailand and see these big sacks, marked THAI RICE. Nobody who isn't Filipino themselves, or romantically involved with one, can name a single Filipino dish, or commodity. Take a look at a list of the most 15 populous countries in the world, of which the Philippines, is #12. The only one on that list, that rivals the Philippines, for low profile/total invisibility, is Bangladesh.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I have never seen one, not one, Filipino restaurant outside the Philippines in 25 years of world travel.

A simple Google search of "Filipino restaurants UK" brought up quiet a few results, can go further by changing the location to like Manchester or London etc or even try your luck with "Filipino food in Italy" as another world location but the one thing I see is world travelers should visit home more often  :)

Here is the menu of one such resturaunt in London , http://www.kalesa.co.uk/menu/4579681391

Then there are news stories of supermarkets in the UK stocking Filipino foods,  http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/global-filipino/10/02/12/bagoong-chicharon-now-sold-uk-supermarket-chain

crad
Posted
Posted

oh come on. Why don't you try searching for Chinese, Indian, Vietnamese and especially Thai restaurants in the UK, and see how many come up by comparison with Filipino ones. When there are only 50,000 Thais in the UK compared to 200,000 Filipinos. If you were to ask any ordinary person in the UK, who maybe eats out once in a restaurant once a month, or once every couple of months, if they have ever seen a Filipino restaurant, and the answer you will get will be a totally resounding NO. They will not have seen a single Filipino restaurant, unless they have some link with the Philippines. And even then, probably only if they live in London will they have seen a Filipino restaurant. I have been coming to the Philippines for almost fifteen years. I eat Asian food in the UK often. And I have never seen one. Though I have never bothered to look for a Filipino restaurant, that doesn't matter. I have never bothered to look for a Thai or Vietnamese restaurant either. However I still have seen many of them.

• Like 1

crad
Posted
Posted

take this well known London dining guide London-eating.com http://www.london-eating.co.uk/

put Filipino into the quick search, and you get 2 results.

put Thai into the quick searchm and you get hundreds. When there are 4 TIMES more Filipinos, than Thais in Britain.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

take this well known London dining guide London-eating.com http://www.london-eating.co.uk/

put Filipino into the quick search, and you get 2 results.

put Thai into the quick searchm and you get hundreds. When there are 4 TIMES more Filipinos, than Thais in Britain.

So whats your point? Do you think that there has always been a Chinese takeaway on every corner or a pizza shop in every country in the world? I'm sure at one time there wasn't.