Best Of Filipino Foods

crad
Posted
Posted (edited)

I was taught Filipino cookery years ago by soembody who straight away realised I was pretty good and could cook pretty much the same way she could.

Edited by MikeB
Stick to the topic and watch the personal comments

GregZ
Posted
Posted

http://www.pinoyrecipe.net/filipino-pork-sisig-recipe/

I noted that possibly there was some confusion on sisig.  This recipe is the original dish that I was referring to.  The version that I eat is not made with head parts as the original calls for.  Ours uses body parts that are more mainstream for today's market place.  I am told that to make the authentic version you need to go to a VERY fresh source to get the desired quality.

There was a soup referred to earllier; I am not familiar with the soup. 

• Like 1

crad
Posted
Posted

4 years ago I was staying in Balamban where the place had its own kitchen, ref cooker and so on. This girl game to stay, I cooked all the meals. She was not there to do the cooking, as I can do that just as well as they can and usually with a lot less fuss. So I did all the meals, sinsigang, tinola, pancit, chop suey, lumpia shanghai, rice and so on. She had never been up close to a foreigner before and just thought it was normal. The food was just the same as what she would normally eat, and it did not strike her as strange that a foreigner was cooking it.

in time she went to Lapu Lapu to study and met other foreigners and where she found out that most foreigners are not like that at all. In fact hardly any are. She found out that not only do they not cook Filipino food but often almost never even eat it either. And that they drag girls round to these crappy but expensive western restaurants in the city where the girls have to eat this horrible western food they pretend to like.

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

http://www.pinoyrecipe.net/filipino-pork-sisig-recipe/

I noted that possibly there was some confusion on sisig. This recipe is the original dish that I was referring to. The version that I eat is not made with head parts as the original calls for. Ours uses body parts that are more mainstream for today's market place. I am told that to make the authentic version you need to go to a VERY fresh source to get the desired quality.

There was a soup referred to earllier; I am not familiar with the soup.

One of the things I've noticed by having a bunch of filipino friends from different areas of the Philippines? The name may be the same but the food was completely different sometimes... Sisig was one of those dishes. Even lumpia. But we wouldn't expect, say, chicken soup from Montreal to be the same as the soup you got in Toronto... The same as the soup in Miami... Ranstadtt... Taiwan... And so on.?

Sent from my Samsung Tab 3 while rubbing 2 monkeys together until they create enough smoke to send signals.

• Like 3

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well all that horrible western food these girls do not like, can't be the girls I see packed into Jolibee's or McDonalds when I walk past, as for crap you would go a long way to find something as bad as the so called food served up there.. My filipina g/f likes the western crap food I cook for her so much that now she doesn't eat any rice or filipino food, unless she visits her family, mind you I am no Gordon Ramsey but I haven't poisoned her yet. :hystery: but then again she says I have no taste. :bash:

P. S.Since she has been eating crap western food, she has lost a little weight, her complexion is much better also her hair has more of a shine to it, she also tells me she feels much healthy.

Edited by frosty (chris)
  • Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

I never saw a Filipino restaurant in Alabama but I have eaten Filipino food many times there with Filipinas and with their husbands. There were three things that I noticed were always present at the gatherings, plenty of white rice of course, lumpia, and pancit.  Lumpia and pancit are very good when fresh and the right ingredients are used and they are eaten very shortly after they are cooked.  Two or three day old lumpia or pancit is not too good especially if its left sitting on the kitchen table all that time as many Filipinos do.  Most Filipinos who go to America eventually learn to put left overs in the refrigerator.

• Like 2

Americano
Posted
Posted

What do you mean by, crap Western food?  White rice and 100% pig fat has to be the worse diet anyone could survive on.  Any Western food has to be better than that.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I like the desert made with malunggay. (I have forgot what they call it.)

No problem eating Filipin "simplified risotto" either   (=rice, vegs plus something salt tasty) because I eat similar often in Sweden   :)   (But mine is more healthy by using brown rice instead of white.)

• Like 1

crad
Posted
Posted

lol the same old contradictions coming up again. Filipino women are beautiful and slim but their diet is really unhealthy? That doesn't make sense. And switching to a western diet is not going to make anybody lose weight. Not when the very reason a lot of guys are in the Philippines in the first place, is because western women are such lardasses. Filipino BMI is a small fraction of the American, which at the 8th largest in the world one of the very fattest countries there is.

also Jollibees and Mcdonalds are not 'western' in the Philippines. Not when most of the people inside them are eating chicken and rice and spaghetti. While hardly any, are eating burgers and fries. Except the lard ass foreigners, of course.

in Thailand and Malaysia the fast food places are much more 'western' oriented. They don't serve rice in their Mcdonald's and KFC's like they do in the Philippines, or if they do, they only have recently started doing it.