What Do You Do To Save Money?

Americano
Posted
Posted

Curley,

Do you know if polystyrene is sold in Citi Hardware stores or would I have to go the Ace Hardware in the SM Mall to find it. And, do Filipinos use the same name in the Philippines. I'm asking because I wouldn't know polystyrene if I saw it.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted (edited)

A good trick to keep the heat out of your house where the sun shines on the windows.......... put a sheet of polystyrene on the outside of the glass, it lets in some light but no heat.

Yes, that's both easy and cheap - and make you don't see an UGGLY view  :lol:

But if having a NICE view, I would prefer an other solution.

Have someone tested if it's a difference in heat reduction if using a TRANSPARENT such sheet?

It cost some more to make a simple marquiz, but then seing the view can be kept.

(More expensive, but I "invented" a COMBINATION of sun cover and safety =A shutter with the hinges ABOVE the window instead of in the sides, because then it can be moved to different positions

/full up  = Not used.

/middle  = functions as a Marquiz

/closed and locked  = Window cover instead of ironbars cover.    Ass a chance to get out through the window if the house is on fire. Window glass can't be broken. People can't look in from outside. Dark, which is good or bad depending of what's wanted  :)    But need work to be moved, need to remember to close them when need the security = Risk forgeting or being to lazy to close them  :mocking:

Edited by Thomas
  • Like 2

Curley
Posted
Posted

Curley,

Do you know if polystyrene is sold in Citi Hardware stores or would I have to go the Ace Hardware in the SM Mall to find it. And, do Filipinos use the same name in the Philippines. I'm asking because I wouldn't know polystyrene if I saw it.

I imagine it must be sold in the Phils, used in building insulation as well as packing for electrical goods. Google result  https://www.google.com/search?q=polystyrene+sheets&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=OKAHUrjWIsbA7AbI04CoBQ&ved=0CDgQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=809

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Curley,

I imagine it must be sold in the Phils, used in building insulation as well as packing for electrical goods. Google result  https://www.google.com/search?q=polystyrene+sheets&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=OKAHUrjWIsbA7AbI04CoBQ&ved=0CDgQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=809

I don't know if it's polystyrene or some other plastic, but rather many Pinoys put up some type of plastic sheets to reduce heat both at windows, porches - and pigsties :mocking:

(I suppouse it's more common in province where people live some less close, and where people know each other. There they have better chance to keep it, because not a good idea to thieve it in villages where the owner will recognice it, if put it up in a neighbour house  :lol:

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

I remembered what it is when I saw the sheets of styrofoam which uses air as an insulator.  Static air is one of the best insulators.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

A good trick to keep the heat out of your house where the sun shines on the windows.......... put a sheet of polystyrene on the outside of the glass, it lets in some light but no heat.

You have glass?  Show off!  :tiphat:

• Like 4

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

2 girls?  Don't I wish!  That is another money saving tip... only 1 girlfriend... at a time.

• Like 3

Curley
Posted
Posted

2 girls?  Don't I wish!  That is another money saving tip... only 1 girlfriend... at a time.

I thought you said in another thread that you always took her cousin with you to eat out etc. I assumed it was the one in the green dress at the underground river.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Yes ha ha only 1 girlfrend.  Just cousin and traveling companion for my girlfriend...

To save money I should only take my girlfriend with me (see... still on topic...)   :tiphat:

• Like 1