What Do You Do To Save Money?

Americano
Posted
Posted

This one is easy to stay on topic we can even talk about beer. That's right I save money by buying beer by the case. A Litro bottle of Red Horse costs P65 so that would be P390 for 6 bottles but if I buy it by the case then its P335. That's a savings of P55  for every 6 beers. I usually buy 2 cases per week so that's a savings of P110. The beer and coke truck drops it off at the sari-sari store across the street so I pay the same price as the store.

Another way to save money is to always unplug everything that you are not using which could be using electricity. Example, flat screen TV's use electric even when turned off.

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted (edited)

Another reason to unplug electronics is due to ungrounded electrical systems. Don't want sensitive electronics damaged by a lightning strike.

My new apartment in Baguio has a real grounded electrical system and I use surge protectors so I no longer feel the need to unplug things during a storm. And I have had lightning strike very close to the apartment.

Edited by earthdome
  • Like 4

sjp52
Posted
Posted

Another reason to unplug electronics is due to ungrounded electrical systems. Don't want sensitive electronics damaged by a lightning strike.

My new apartment in Baguio has a real grounded electrical system and I use surge protectors so I no longer feel the need to unplug things during a storm. And I have had lightning strike very close to the apartment.

How did you make out with that storm. I heard Baguio got hit pretty good

• Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted

I installed LED lights in all of my light fixtures. I also use the photosensing light bulbs outside in my carport and porch for security at night. I leave the switch on and the bulb turns on when it gets dark. 

Also, newer more efficient appliances pay for themselves in the long run. I too keep on top of my A/C filters and have heavy curtains installed within the windows that face the sun. I also put insulation under my rear porch roof which also blocks afternoon sun coming in (reduced the temperatures in the house by 10-15 degrees). Another energy saver is screens for your windows and get cross flow going to keep your place cool enough where an electric fan is all that you may need.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

How did you make out with that storm. I heard Baguio got hit pretty good

I got along just fine. I stayed home and just made one short trip to the sari sari store less than a block away.

There was heavy rain and strong wind gusts. The wind pushed water about 6 inches in under my balcony door.

My apartment is in a good location so no concern about flooding or landslides. I lost electric for 30-40 minutes.

From the news I saw one person died from a small landslide in Baguio and Kennon Rd. was closed for a while from a landslide. Someone else posted a picture of flooding in one area of Baguio but I didn't see it.

I wouldn't try to travel out of Baguio on those narrow winding mountain roads during a typhoon due to rock falls and landslides.

• Like 2

Bundy
Posted
Posted

#1 Stop thinking about $ and start to think Pesos only. It's amazing how this helps when you start

thinking like a Filipino.

#2 When someone calls you "My Friend"............RUN

#3 Stay away from the "inlaws" as much as possible.

#4 When you find yourself in a situation where you have lots of "Hangers on"..........RUN

#5 Tell everyone you own nothing and you're paying everything off.

• Like 4

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Dude, I haven't seen a dollar in 5 months and all I think now is pesos.  It is amazing how cheap you become ha ha!  I was arguing with a jeepney driver over 3 pesos (that is MY change dammit - not a tip)  :tiphat:

• Like 1

Bundy
Posted
Posted

Dude, I haven't seen a dollar in 5 months and all I think now is pesos.  It is amazing how cheap you become ha ha!  I was arguing with a jeepney driver over 3 pesos (that is MY change dammit - not a tip)  :tiphat:

Mate, I've done similar things. But as the saying goes..........(When in Rome........)

Sometimes later at night I think to myself....."did I really do that?" But, what the hell, if you live here you're supposed to blend in right.

Americano
Posted
Posted

#1 Stop thinking about $ and start to think Pesos only. It's amazing how this helps when you start

thinking like a Filipino.

#2 When someone calls you "My Friend"............RUN

#3 Stay away from the "inlaws" as much as possible.

#4 When you find yourself in a situation where you have lots of "Hangers on"..........RUN

#5 Tell everyone you own nothing and you're paying everything off.

When someone starts talking about money and think they will get some of yours ..... RUN

RUN Forest RUN !!!!

In other words don't stay around people or relatives who think they can get money from you because you are rich, an ATM or a money tree. The answer is always the same RUN !!!

Thomas
Posted
Posted
In other words don't stay around people or relatives who think they can get money from you
I have told them I will not assist them, except perhaps to do some "Help-to-self-help" IF they show good work attitude, so I believe it isn't wasted... (And if it will be, I will give them a small one to test with.) Aiming at they will manage themselves, if I give them start money to some small business.

And as long as they afford cigarets and alcohol, I see it as they don't need my assistance :mocking:

And I will repeet it before marriage, so they surely have understood, so they don't have to high expectations.

(But it's a problem if some with good attitide live together with some with bad attitude, because then it's hard to avoid the lazy ones sneak get some too.)

• Like 3