Posted

Drink Red Horse instead of San Mig. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Hey Senior Chief,

Another outstanding field report regarding home building with some western improvements.  One question popped in my

mind is about your solar panels.  Obviously, you're gonna mount the structure on your roof and not easily accessible to

your neighbors who may want to tap into it.....he, he.  I have no idea how to storm-typhoon proof a structure supporting

solar panels.  

I have already marked your place on Google Map -- you're about 100 miles north of Dumaguete.  The way you think like

a bushman, I expect that town to be like an Australian outback soon.....he, he.  Layed back and just chillin'......

attachicon.gifAustralian Bushman.jpg

Good on ya Mate -- Jake

Well we're securing the panels the same way they do in the cyclone prone areas here in Aust; no guarantee but you can only do what you can do. As for the neighbours... That's brother and his wife with a lot of nieces and nephews, the other side is her uncle and family, we scored Momma (double-edged sword but I love the old girl) as there's only myself, Aines, her 16yo daughter Johnna and her younger brother in what will effectively be a 5 bedroom house by the time we're done.  Layed back and chillin' for sure!  Can't wait to sit on the balcony in the afternoon, with a San Magoo watching the ocean when it's all done.  You'll have to move your butt out of SoCal you old retrobate and come and have a few mate!

My Filipina and I plan to save money in the long run by buying land and building a house in a farming area outside of the metro areas which I'm doing now in the mountains 14km outside of Argao Cebu. Land is dirt cheap (50P per sqm) and the wages bill is lower due to the locals not being greedy like their city relatives. It is a vegetable growing area and so purchases of rice and corn rice can be had for much less than in the city eg 27p per kg for white quality corn rice bought direct from the mill. We also intend to plant all our 1.3 hectares with corn in May 2014. We can get pawned land too if we need to expand which is way better than buying or leasing it. We can buy vegies from our neighbours for wholesale price and they sell with pleasure as it saves them a trip into the town market to offload their stuff. We graze goats and intend to build up a herd of them...two became four recently. We bought a cow and intend to breed her too once there is enough grass growing and finally we plan to start a piggery for sale and food. Outside of the animal farming, my partner's brother farms vegetables on the land as he is unemployable in the city. 

With so much going on there is always a job for someone to do so no one gets a free ride. If anyone tries they are bitched about by the others and if that doesn't help, sent home. It's easy to see who wants to live in the Kano's pocket so we sort out the rice from the chaff. We have a room for her Mum and Dad so they can be looked after without the need of money.

And finally living away from the city, there is little time for retail therapy so weekly trips to the parlours and malls don't happen

Prevention is better than the cure I always say lol

LOL same here Fred, Guihulngan is a city of about 100k people according the wiki, they must be hiding them somewhere because I can't see it!  No mall that I've found but a very busy CDB with most of what we need.  As Jake said, it's only a two hour bus trip to Dumaguete, faster in a car, so anything else needed isn't really that far away.  I haven't done much research into what grows best vs our needs in PI yet so if you're that far into it give me a hoy :)  Oh yeah, forgot to mention, we too are getting a cow. 

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

My Filipina and I plan to save money in the long run by buying land and building a house in a farming area outside of the metro areas which I'm doing now in the mountains 14km outside of Argao Cebu. Land is dirt cheap (50P per sqm) and the wages bill is lower due to the locals not being greedy like their city relatives. It is a vegetable growing area and so purchases of rice and corn rice can be had for much less than in the city eg 27p per kg for white quality corn rice bought direct from the mill. We also intend to plant all our 1.3 hectares with corn in May 2014. We can get pawned land too if we need to expand which is way better than buying or leasing it. We can buy vegies from our neighbours for wholesale price and they sell with pleasure as it saves them a trip into the town market to offload their stuff. We graze goats and intend to build up a herd of them...two became four recently. We bought a cow and intend to breed her too once there is enough grass growing and finally we plan to start a piggery for sale and food. Outside of the animal farming, my partner's brother farms vegetables on the land as he is unemployable in the city. 

With so much going on there is always a job for someone to do so no one gets a free ride. If anyone tries they are bitched about by the others and if that doesn't help, sent home. It's easy to see who wants to live in the Kano's pocket so we sort out the rice from the chaff. We have a room for her Mum and Dad so they can be looked after without the need of money.

And finally living away from the city, there is little time for retail therapy so weekly trips to the parlours and malls don't happen

Prevention is better than the cure I always say lol

I aim at something similar, but

much more specialiced

and no one living close except my wife and kids. Surely no live in family.

The CLOSEST will be one house for some others where my land connect to public (baranggay) road, while I live in the far end  :)  at least 250 meters or so away from any other.

• Like 1