What Do You Do To Save Money?

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Drink Tang!  I have not seen it in years in the US but it is everywhere here - and in some great flavors.  It is about p8 a package and makes 2 liters (the instructions say 1 liter but that is too strong).

not as much alcohol as beer or rum... but nobody is perfect  :tiphat:

robert k
Posted
Posted

Drink Tang!  I have not seen it in years in the US but it is everywhere here - and in some great flavors.  It is about p8 a package and makes 2 liters (the instructions say 1 liter but that is too strong).

not as much alcohol as beer or rum... but nobody is perfect  :tiphat:

Good idea, or tea

Paul_QLD
Posted
Posted

I can't say I recall seeing Tang in any Aussie grocery stores either lately and noticed it in Phils on my trips there and it brought back many memories ...

Wonder if there is a (medical) reason the US and Aust dont seem to sell it anymore or just a bad seller????

robert k
Posted
Posted

I can't say I recall seeing Tang in any Aussie grocery stores either lately and noticed it in Phils on my trips there and it brought back many memories ...

Wonder if there is a (medical) reason the US and Aust dont seem to sell it anymore or just a bad seller????

Probably just the soda pop companies bought them out. There is a lot more profit in selling you something that contains carbonated tap water than a drink mix.

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

for my tips,,(get ready to hit the REPORT)

1. i reweigh everything at the store . usually the weight is off , that small amount adds up over the course of the yr

2, when i buy meat products i have it weighed with out the plastic bag , thats anywhere from .50c-1p ,

.50c x 3=1.50 x50=75p

3. when i see the $$ going up. I exchange/withdrawal my funds

4, at some stores I have the "EXACT" change if its 120.35 , i give then the 120.35 ,if i give 50 i may not get the 15c

back,

yes thats only .15 c but over the course of the yr adds up, .15 x 360 =54php

5 when riding the bus my child uses the "Student id" or we ask for the student id discount )12p usually)

6,when I have major purchase i try to wait til the exchange rate is in my favor.

am I being cheap. perhaps but its my money.once its spent i cant get it back.

a saying i heard many years ago," a penny saved is a penny earned,"

and yes I do get extra tissue when i am at jollybee/mc do. so in case.. i saved 4 p

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
am I being cheap. perhaps but its my money.once its spent i cant get it back.
Something similar to one of the most rich, Paul Getty  :)   (or which most rich it was, who tried to cut every penny.)

--

A rich friend of mine cut very hard on food, but smoke for more than I need to eat healthy food  :hystery:

Americano
Posted
Posted

A friend of mine who was living in the Philippines and didn't plan to ever leave was saving money by drinking water from the faucet or tap. He developed small bumps on his head that itched so much that he lost most of his hair by scratching his head all the time. And he begin having loose bowl movements, bloating and gas so bad that he had to stay at home most of the time. He went to a few doctors but none of them knew why he had the problems or how to heal them so after one year of being sick he went back to America to see if a doctor there could get him well. He's still there now.  So the end result was drinking tap water didn't save him money it cost him a lot of money in doctor fees, medicine and plane tickets. He could have been drinking purified water for only P25 per 5 gallons and maybe he wouldn't have gotten sick.  Sometimes you need to spend a little money to save money.

The same is true when buying meat.  You can buy meat cheaper that is laying out in the hot sun with flies on it than you can inside a cooler in a grocery store, but do you want to take the chance of getting sick which could cost you a lot more than buying fresh meat in the first place.

• Like 5

i am bob
Posted
Posted

A friend of mine who was living in the Philippines and didn't plan to ever leave was saving money by drinking water from the faucet or tap. He developed small bumps on his head that itched so much that he lost most of his hair by scratching his head all the time. And he begin having loose bowl movements, bloating and gas so bad that he had to stay at home most of the time. He went to a few doctors but none of them knew why he had the problems or how to heal them so after one year of being sick he went back to America to see if a doctor there could get him well. He's still there now. So the end result was drinking tap water didn't save him money it cost him a lot of money in doctor fees, medicine and plane tickets. He could have been drinking purified water for only P25 per 5 gallons and maybe he wouldn't have gotten sick. Sometimes you need to spend a little money to save money.

The same is true when buying meat. You can buy meat cheaper that is laying out in the hot sun with flies on it than you can inside a cooler in a grocery store, but do you want to take the chance of getting sick which could cost you a lot more than buying fresh meat in the first place.

I'm not saying it wasn't the water but I would think that somebody else would have had the same problem...?

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Even the locals around here won't drink the water!  Down in Antique when I am in the province we drink the well water - but not up here near the city.

And I always buy my meat at the grocery store.  It may not be any better... but at least it is refrigerated when I buy it  :tiphat:

earthdome
Posted
Posted

A bit off topic but I saw a few minutes of a Philippine cooking show about adobo. They specifically mentioned that the way adobo is cooked allows you to store it without refrigeration for many days and it will still be safe to eat.