What Do You Do To Save Money?

MikeB
Posted
Posted
They specifically mentioned that the way adobo is cooked allows you to store it without refrigeration for many days and it will still be safe to eat.

It's the vinegar.

• Like 2

Americano
Posted
Posted

A friend of mine who was living in the Philippines and didn't plan to ever leave was saving money by drinking water from the faucet or tap. He developed small bumps on his head that itched so much that he lost most of his hair by scratching his head all the time. And he begin having loose bowl movements, bloating and gas so bad that he had to stay at home most of the time. He went to a few doctors but none of them knew why he had the problems or how to heal them so after one year of being sick he went back to America to see if a doctor there could get him well. He's still there now. So the end result was drinking tap water didn't save him money it cost him a lot of money in doctor fees, medicine and plane tickets. He could have been drinking purified water for only P25 per 5 gallons and maybe he wouldn't have gotten sick. Sometimes you need to spend a little money to save money.

The same is true when buying meat. You can buy meat cheaper that is laying out in the hot sun with flies on it than you can inside a cooler in a grocery store, but do you want to take the chance of getting sick which could cost you a lot more than buying fresh meat in the first place.

I'm not saying it wasn't the water but I would think that somebody else would have had the same problem...?

My friend is in his 70's so maybe you could say it was due to his age but his wife's niece who is in her 20's and was living with them had the same problem. The only difference was she just endured the problem without going to a doctor.  I'm not sure it was the water but over the past few years I have read on forums and signs in hotel rooms warning that the water is not safe to drink. My friend doesn't use the Internet so he has never read about the dangers of drinking tap water.  And, I didn't know he was until shortly before he left for the USA.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

A friend of mine who was living in the Philippines and didn't plan to ever leave was saving money by drinking water from the faucet or tap. He developed small bumps on his head that itched so much that he lost most of his hair by scratching his head all the time. And he begin having loose bowl movements, bloating and gas so bad that he had to stay at home most of the time. He went to a few doctors but none of them knew why he had the problems or how to heal them so after one year of being sick he went back to America to see if a doctor there could get him well. He's still there now. So the end result was drinking tap water didn't save him money it cost him a lot of money in doctor fees, medicine and plane tickets. He could have been drinking purified water for only P25 per 5 gallons and maybe he wouldn't have gotten sick. Sometimes you need to spend a little money to save money.

The same is true when buying meat. You can buy meat cheaper that is laying out in the hot sun with flies on it than you can inside a cooler in a grocery store, but do you want to take the chance of getting sick which could cost you a lot more than buying fresh meat in the first place.

I'm not saying it wasn't the water but I would think that somebody else would have had the same problem...?

My friend is in his 70's so maybe you could say it was due to his age but his wife's niece who is in her 20's and was living with them had the same problem. The only difference was she just endured the problem without going to a doctor. I'm not sure it was the water but over the past few years I have read on forums and signs in hotel rooms warning that the water is not safe to drink. My friend doesn't use the Internet so he has never read about the dangers of drinking tap water. And, I didn't know he was until shortly before he left for the USA.

Just wondering... Were they on a well?

With the 2 of them having the same problem, then I believe you are right,.. The water is most likely the problem. But neither of them seeing a GOOD doctor once they started having problems... This should have been something easy to diagnose and cure even in the very beginning.

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

They were on city water which I guess is not safe to drink in any city. In the Business Hotel in down town Cebu City there are signs near the sink in rooms that warn not to drink the water. I guess its too expensive for a city to purify the water. Most people, including Filipinos, drink bottled water or some other liquid.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

A friend of mine who was living in the Philippines and didn't plan to ever leave was saving money by drinking water from the faucet or tap. He developed small bumps on his head that itched so much that he lost most of his hair by scratching his head all the time. And he begin having loose bowl movements, bloating and gas so bad that he had to stay at home most of the time. He went to a few doctors but none of them knew why he had the problems or how to heal them so after one year of being sick he went back to America to see if a doctor there could get him well. He's still there now.  So the end result was drinking tap water didn't save him money it cost him a lot of money in doctor fees, medicine and plane tickets. He could have been drinking purified water for only P25 per 5 gallons and maybe he wouldn't have gotten sick.  Sometimes you need to spend a little money to save money.

The same is true when buying meat.  You can buy meat cheaper that is laying out in the hot sun with flies on it than you can inside a cooler in a grocery store, but do you want to take the chance of getting sick which could cost you a lot more than buying fresh meat in the first place.

Given the symptoms above, can I safely assume that your friend played as a juicy host for millions of live

parasites that was consuming his body and brain?

Drinking unsafe tap water just to save a few centavos is a sure fire way to get real sick, real fast.  Here is

a National Geographic documentary about parasites in humans (not for the weak stomach):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx9WXwsGfQA

• Like 2

Americano
Posted
Posted

Jake,

That's a scary video. I'm afraid to eat, drink or go anywhere now.  I believe while there is some truth to this video there is also a lot of exaggeration in it because they are trying to sell something.  They want to scare you into buying their product.

In the Philippines the Department of Education reports that 40% of school age kids have worms.  And one of the requirements to receive monthly government assistance to attend school is each child must be de-wormed 2 times each school year.  I told this to my friend and suggested he try taking the medicine to see if it would improved his condition. He said he would but I don't know if he did.

My wife, her brother, 1st cousin and I who all live together took the de-worm medicine a few months ago but none of us had any side effects so don't know if we had worms or not.  I gave de-worm medicine to a puppy in the USA and he had worms coming out of both ends for 2 or 3 days, not a pretty sight.  The medicine used here is Mebendazole Antiox.  One 500mg tablet is one dose. I forgot how much it cost but it wasn't much.  We even bought two extra tablets.  I should give one to a local dog to see what happens but I don't want to kill him.  Some of the dogs in my neighborhood look like they have every parasite and disease known to man.

Staying on topic of saving money in the Philippines, taking de-worm medicine once a year could save money on medicine and medical bills.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
threadstone
Posted
Posted

To save money, dont consider shopping a hobby.  Be wise in spending money, minimize buying uneccessary needs.  Invest your money on the bank so that your money will grow.   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

Ok, as most you people know that have been around a while I'm a bit of a greenie (tree hugger - ok big greenie, I admit it).  The improvements that we're making to the residence that SAO and I are rebuilding are being done with that in mind with cost savings and typhoon preparation all in mind.  

Solar panels - we basically won't be paying for electricity.  Initially we wouldn't be paying  on sunny days but after much research deep cycle batteries are now not as expensive as they used to be.  Yes I've done this research in the last couple of days since I mentioned it in another thread.  My only concern is the danger with regards to battery "gassing" but with my career on diesel/electric submarines I think I have more than a good understanding of that and think I can handle it due to having to live with it every day in a prior life.  Yes the initial investment is not small but it will pay for itself in about 3-4 years.  Add to this the fact we'll have power in times of brown outs, severe weather (assuming the bunker I'm planning for storage of all things typhoon isn't taken out, nor the panels on the roof) I think it's worth the investment. Not really looking forward to the first contact with the local electric provider after I instigate this and they still try to charge us for the fact the service is there (think phone line rental for internet even if you don't use it).

Water filtration - rain water tanks with in line filters at the the point of delivery.  I know this is now known as grey water but I grew up in outback Australia (Moree, Narrabri, Glenn Innes) and you know what? We never did a thing to our water out of the tanks that we drank with, cooked or whatever with, there was no "town" water - business selling us sh** we don't need?  You be the judge.  Everyone in my town of 20,000 are still kicking.  I'd like to temper that with don't drink the tap water in PI unless you're confident of the source. I will be in a household of 5 and they go through about 4-5 bottles of "blue" water a week at about 40php/bottle so this will pay itself off very quickly even with the filter changes every 3 months.

I eat like a local, stir fry whatever and seafood is dirt cheap where I'll be living.  I don't eat red meat (health issues) which is extremely expensive in PI  but occasional dead pig  and SAO always has 3-4 pigs on the trot but I'm basically a vegetarian (not by choice I promise you). She has "goats" (Shhh Master Chief :P) as well.  Laying chooks running around, it's not that hard really.  I came from a generation of country lads that all this was normal on a quarter acre block, as well as the vege patch out the back. I like gardening - not the mow the lawn grow pretty stuff sh**, but sustainable stuff that will be practical (I did a permaculture course last year - yep, greenie ;) )

As for those western luxuries you just gotta pay for it.  I'm an internet gamer, love my cricket, rugby and Aussie rules football,  so I'll be paying for that.  Getting my family to send me stuff every now and then (Vegemite!!!) is going to cost too.  I like to go out to dinner once a week, have a few drinks and I smoke (40p a pack in PI vs 800p here - SAO is not a fan but hey, gotta have a vice).

She goes shopping without me in sight.  Trust me, this will save you a fortune. 

I guess the big difference from many of the questions asked here in this forum is that I've found my lady, have long term plans which we've discussed many times and agree on.  She's educated, comparatively well off and a bit of a spend thrift without being mean about it all at the same time.  

*Edit: learning the local dialect will get you a long way too.  Yes you still have $$$ stamped on your forehead but it's amazing the difference it makes.

Life is good

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hey Senior Chief,

Another outstanding field report regarding home building with some western improvements.  One question popped in my

mind is about your solar panels.  Obviously, you're gonna mount the structure on your roof and not easily accessible to

your neighbors who may want to tap into it.....he, he.  I have no idea how to storm-typhoon proof a structure supporting

solar panels.  

I have already marked your place on Google Map -- you're about 100 miles north of Dumaguete.  The way you think like

a bushman, I expect that town to be like an Australian outback soon.....he, he.  Layed back and just chillin'......

post-686-0-51119000-1385055096_thumb.jpg

Good on ya Mate -- Jake

• Like 1

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted (edited)

My Filipina and I plan to save money in the long run by buying land and building a house in a farming area outside of the metro areas which I'm doing now in the mountains 14km outside of Argao Cebu. Land is dirt cheap (50P per sqm) and the wages bill is lower due to the locals not being greedy like their city relatives. It is a vegetable growing area and so purchases of rice and corn rice can be had for much less than in the city eg 27p per kg for white quality corn rice bought direct from the mill. We also intend to plant all our 1.3 hectares with corn in May 2014. We can get pawned land too if we need to expand which is way better than buying or leasing it. We can buy vegies from our neighbours for wholesale price and they sell with pleasure as it saves them a trip into the town market to offload their stuff. We graze goats and intend to build up a herd of them...two became four recently. We bought a cow and intend to breed her too once there is enough grass growing and finally we plan to start a piggery for sale and food. Outside of the animal farming, my partner's brother farms vegetables on the land as he is unemployable in the city. 

With so much going on there is always a job for someone to do so no one gets a free ride. If anyone tries they are bitched about by the others and if that doesn't help, sent home. It's easy to see who wants to live in the Kano's pocket so we sort out the rice from the chaff. We have a room for her Mum and Dad so they can be looked after without the need of money.

And finally living away from the city, there is little time for retail therapy so weekly trips to the parlours and malls don't happen

Prevention is better than the cure I always say lol

Edited by Fred & Mimi
  • Like 4