What Do You Do To Save Money?

Thomas
Posted
Posted
If you make a threshold for your door Filipinos will trip over it or stump their toes on it. Maybe that comment should have gone in the clean jokes forum because its funny but its not a joke.
I got a new business idea to add to my list with 184

=Thresholds made by soft rubber to save Filipino toes  :lol:

Americano
Posted
Posted

If you make a threshold for your door Filipinos will trip over it or stump their toes on it. Maybe that comment should have gone in the clean jokes forum because its funny but its not a joke.
I got a new business idea to add to my list with 184

=Thresholds made by soft rubber to save Filipino toes  :lol:

Haha, I'm sure you will sell lots of them because no one wants to hurt their toes.

Curley
Posted
Posted

This one is easy to stay on topic we can even talk about beer. That's right I save money by buying beer by the case. A Litro bottle of Red Horse costs P65 so that would be P390 for 6 bottles but if I buy it by the case then its P335. That's a savings of P55  for every 6 beers. I usually buy 2 cases per week so that's a savings of P110. The beer and coke truck drops it off at the sari-sari store across the street so I pay the same price as the store.

Another way to save money is to always unplug everything that you are not using which could be using electricity. Example, flat screen TV's use electric even when turned off.

Save even more by not drinking beer. That's a saving of 670 per week or 34,840 pesos per year.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Save even more by not drinking beer. That's a saving of 670 per week or 34,840 pesos per year.

Aww.... man... let's keep it reasonable ha ha   (I spend p120 a month on Tanduay Ice)

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

This one is easy to stay on topic we can even talk about beer. That's right I save money by buying beer by the case. A Litro bottle of Red Horse costs P65 so that would be P390 for 6 bottles but if I buy it by the case then its P335. That's a savings of P55  for every 6 beers. I usually buy 2 cases per week so that's a savings of P110. The beer and coke truck drops it off at the sari-sari store across the street so I pay the same price as the store.

Another way to save money is to always unplug everything that you are not using which could be using electricity. Example, flat screen TV's use electric even when turned off.

I have thought about stop drinking beer due to the cost but then I think if I don't drink beer what will I drink?  I really like Coke and drink it sometimes. Its just P27 per liter but I believe its worse for someone's health than beer. Other drinks that people mix taste good but they are full of sugar which is not good to drink all the time.  Water from the faucet is polluted so I can't drink it. We buy 5 gallon battles of water which I drink some times but I often wonder how safe it is to drink. I have known some foreigners who get sick but don't know why. Was it the water?  I have been staying health by drinking mostly beer so I'm a little bit afraid to stop.

Here's another way to save some money.  We were cooking with electric which I guess is expensive if you cook a lot and we cook almost every day for 4 people.  Gas may be cheaper but being on the second floor there's no way to put the bottle outside so it would be a big fire hazard having it inside our apartment.  Three weeks ago my wife started cooking with wood using clay cooker pots. Bundles of wood are cheap so we are be saving on our electric bills. I don't know how much we are saving yet because we were gone on a trip for part of the last billing cycle. Another plus is the food tastes better too.

Edited to say:  Using the wood she cooks outside on our 3rd floor terrace. She can even cook dried fish up there without making me feel sick because the wind blows the smell away.

Edited by Americano

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
I have thought about stop drinking beer due to the cost but then I think if I don't drink beer what will I drink?  I really like Coke and drink it sometimes. Its just P27 per liter but I believe its worse for someone's health than beer.

Definitely beer. Even the World Health Organization (WHO) recommends drinking beer from the bottle when the local water source is questionable. Early American Colonials drank a mildly alcoholic version of today's beer rather than water. That includes children. Towns couldn't be chartered until there were a sufficient number of Pubs (Public Houses) producing enough beer for the community.

Coke is just syrup on a carbonated water base. One bottle or can gives you the equivalent of 8 to 12 cubes of sugar. 

• Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted

I have thought about stop drinking beer due to the cost but then I think if I don't drink beer what will I drink?  I really like Coke and drink it sometimes. Its just P27 per liter but I believe its worse for someone's health than beer. Other drinks that people mix taste good but they are full of sugar which is not good to drink all the time.  Water from the faucet is polluted so I can't drink it. We buy 5 gallon battles of water which I drink some times but I often wonder how safe it is to drink. I have known some foreigners who get sick but don't know why. Was it the water?  I have been staying health by drinking mostly beer so I'm a little bit afraid to stop.

Here's another way to save some money.  We were cooking with electric which I guess is expensive if you cook a lot and we cook almost every day for 4 people.  Gas may be cheaper but being on the second floor there's no way to put the bottle outside so it would be a big fire hazard having it inside our apartment.  Three weeks ago my wife started cooking with wood using clay cooker pots. Bundles of wood are cheap so we are be saving on our electric bills. I don't know how much we are saving yet because we were gone on a trip for part of the last billing cycle. Another plus is the food tastes better too.

A reverse osmosis water filter system plumbed into the mains water supply. Pure water at almost zero cost will soon pay for the initial outlay.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I have thought about stop drinking beer due to the cost but then I think if I don't drink beer what will I drink?  I really like Coke and drink it sometimes. Its just P27 per liter but I believe its worse for someone's health than beer.

Definitely beer. Even the World Health Organization (WHO) recommends drinking beer from the bottle when the local water source is questionable. Early American Colonials drank a mildly alcoholic version of today's beer rather than water. That includes children. Towns couldn't be chartered until there were a sufficient number of Pubs (Public Houses) producing enough beer for the community.

Coke is just syrup on a carbonated water base. One bottle or can gives you the equivalent of 8 to 12 cubes of sugar. 

Coke = Strong losening RUST. I admit I like it, but I'm wize enough to keep away from it  :)  to keep my rather good teeth.

Beer = Diuretic, so not so good to avoid dehydration  :)

Water =  Some other can be used to drink too, but when needing much fluid when it's hot, then better the most of it is water (perhaps adding some salt, if not geting such enough during the day anyway.)

Well. I don't trust water deliverers fully either.

I have a small 2 liter water cleaner, which has a replaceable filter with some stuff including coal, but it's some slow, so just get a few liters per day out of it.  Such cost just around 50 USD.

After I have built a house, I plan to install a biger water cleaning, if the own well isn't clean anyway. I will NOT build it the common Pinoy way  :)   but as the one I have in Sweden.

Water can be CLEANED FOR FREE by taking away the labels of plastic bottles, filter away most of the mudd if any just by poring it through cotton cloth, and put filled bottles on a metal roof in the sun for a day. The UV light from sun will kill the bacterias. (I haven't tried it myself, but it's recomended by scientists where it's hard to get clean water as e g in Africa bush.)

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thomas, I suggest you use glass bottles, hot plastic releases chemicals into the water. There are expensive plastic bottles which don't release chemicals when they become hot, but they are not clear and would not let the UV light through, and way more expensive than the plastic in the clear plastic water bottles. Treating water is a good idea and I hope I just made it better for you. :)

Edited by robert k
  • Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Thomas, I suggest you use glass bottles, hot plastic releases chemicals into the water. There are expensive plastic bottles which don't release chemicals when they become hot, but they are not clear and would not let the UV light through, and way more expensive than the plastic in the clear plastic water bottles. Treating water is a good idea and I hope I just made it better for you. :)

Yes. I just copied what they recomended for Africa, and I didn't thought of that.

(Perhaps they have better access to plastic than glas bottles in Africa.)

I promise I will use glas botles  :)  if I will use that method.