Does She Really,really Love You ?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I have said before, most Filipina that I have met, who after leaving the Philippines seem to change, they loose all the best qualities of being a Filipina.

Papa Carl

So true as I know from my experience., part of the reason we are moving back to the Philippines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see the same thing here in the States.

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted

I have said before, most Filipina that I have met, who after leaving the Philippines seem to change, they loose all the best qualities of being a Filipina.

I for one would never consider taking my future wife to live any where other than here in the Philippines.

It have heard that statement enough that I'm starting to really believe it. And if it was just me and the future wife, I would be more than happy to move to PI very soon and stay there until my death. But what makes it really difficult to decide is the kids. We are expecting our first one now, and have plans for 1 or 2 more. Being a dual citizen myself (USA and EU) we have more options for our future location than most others in this world. This will be the first child for both the wife and I, and we both are more or less thinking that we should make our future plans giving the kids' future the first priority. Now, what does that mean?

Just thinking about education, some of the best public schools would be in Scandinavia, where they also have some fairly good state universities that do not charge tuition. In the USA, acceptable schools can be found but typically for a very high cost. All I hear about Philippines school system is that it is pretty decent for a 3rd world country, but not up to western expectations.

The other important part is the safety and culture to raise children. Frankly, for that all the options make me little nervous, so pretty clueless about that.

The money factor is not unimportant either. If I was to live in the Philippines for the rest of my life, I could retire now. If I was to pay for private school and university tuitions in the USA, I would have to work for 10 to 15 more years in my current job in the USA. The various European options are somewhere in between.

Then we get back to the various cultural issues, most importantly the scare of losing the sweetest person I have ever met in my life (future wife) through her becoming westernized and an entirely different person, and who knows what happens after that.

Sorry about being way off the topic there for a while, but at least I circled back in the end, right?

I think your post was on target for one of the greatest concerns, child education. A diploma and an education are two different things. You want your children to graduate from a recognized college but that does not mean that they must be educated in a first world school before college, but I think you may need to be somewhat more involved in your childs education in the RP. A book is a book no matter where you read it, comprehension is what matters. If your children are up to the standards for entry to a given college, I think they will be able to enter. Book learning, scientific theory, logic, reading the classics can take you quite far. In my opinion learning how to learn is as important and possibly more important than bulk storage of knowledge, provided you can make the scores to get accepted to college in the first place. :)

• Like 5

Classic Dry
Posted
Posted (edited)

I linked this thread to the Short Angry One, she just about wet herself laughing.  She then said "You're smarter than that aren't you?"

"...."

I like this ............I think ?  :unsure:  mmmm

Edited by Classic Dry
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I for one would never consider taking my future wife to live any where other than here in the Philippines.

It have heard that statement enough that I'm starting to really believe it. And if it was just me and the future wife, I would be more than happy to move to PI very soon and stay there until my death. But what makes it really difficult to decide is the kids. We are expecting our first one now, and have plans for 1 or 2 more. Being a dual citizen myself (USA and EU) we have more options for our future location than most others in this world. This will be the first child for both the wife and I, and we both are more or less thinking that we should make our future plans giving the kids' future the first priority. Now, what does that mean?

Just thinking about education, some of the best public schools would be in Scandinavia, where they also have some fairly good state universities that do not charge tuition. In the USA, acceptable schools can be found but typically for a very high cost. All I hear about Philippines school system is that it is pretty decent for a 3rd world country, but not up to western expectations.

The other important part is the safety and culture to raise children. Frankly, for that all the options make me little nervous, so pretty clueless about that.

The money factor is not unimportant either. If I was to live in the Philippines for the rest of my life, I could retire now. If I was to pay for private school and university tuitions in the USA, I would have to work for 10 to 15 more years in my current job in the USA. The various European options are somewhere in between.

Then we get back to the various cultural issues, most importantly the scare of losing the sweetest person I have ever met in my life (future wife) through her becoming westernized and an entirely different person, and who knows what happens after that.

Sorry about being way off the topic there for a while, but at least I circled back in the end, right?

Your observation is spot on topic and and well stated. 

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Being a dual citizen myself (USA and EU) we have more options for our future location than most others in this world.
I don't know for Finnland, but kids to me as Swedish can get Swedish citizenship just by sending documents.
Just thinking about education, some of the best public schools would be in Scandinavia, where they also have some fairly good state universities that do not charge tuition. In the USA, acceptable schools can be found but typically for a very high cost.
Yes, but most of them aren't good either...  :)  

I plan to solve it by homeschooling 1-2 days per week, if I don't settle close to Tubigon, Bohol, where there is a good small elementary school, which started as homeschooling !    for own kids plus a few more by the parents thinking similar as I, but the baranggay found it so good so they promoted it without asking the parents !!! So now it has grown to 75 students :)  :dance: of which owner let 15 poor go for free. I don't know the fee, but I believe it's low, because owner lose money at the school, but don't bother much, because she get enough from a widow pension from her now dead husband.

I think your post was on target for one of the greatest concerns, child education. A diploma and an education are two different things. You want your children to graduate from a recognized college but that does not mean that they must be educated in a first world school before college, but I think you may need to be somewhat more involved in your childs education in the RP. A book is a book no matter where you read it, comprehension is what matters. If your children are up to the standards for entry to a given college, I think they will be able to enter. Book learning, scientific theory, logic, reading the classics can take you quite far. In my opinion learning how to learn is as important and possibly more important than bulk storage of knowledge, provided you can make the scores to get accepted to college in the first place. :)
Yes, IF exam is needed. I SKIPED Swedish college/university, because I found them teaching old much less good methods - and teaching to slow  :)      So I have studied myself and made tests direct, WITHOUT having tutor/teacher, when I have wanted document proving my knowledge. The employers, which I count as good, bother more about capacity than exams anyway...  (I mean for jobs where exams aren't demanded by officials as e g for doctors.)

(I have got high leading positions anyway by the first employment I started at low level and they saw my skills, plus later from references. And if starting own business, then no exam is needed either to get the general manager position  :)

It worry me some too, but I know some Swedes, who have settled in villages AMONG FILIPINS, with NO GUARDS and have no problem - except one got sound problem by neighbour started karaoke business  :hystery:
That's a VERY important part, so why haven't you moved yet? :)
  • Like 1

Pettersson
Posted
Posted (edited)

If the education here in the Philippines is so bad then how is it that Filipinos do so well in other countries after they graduate here and then go to other countries. A simple google search of famous Filipino Chemist, Biologists, Chefs, Inventors, etc. will provide lists of people who were educated here and then became famous for their work.

One of the reasons I made the decision to keep my family here, was not only because of my wife, but also because of my daughter. Having worked with the education system in Canada and in the UK, and having participated in reciprocal education programs with the US, and other European countries, I saw something here I did not see there.

Children want to learn here! They want to go to school! The will walk for miles to go to school. (at least they did at the school I helped to build in Negros Oriental, even when you bought them new shoes, the walked barefoot, until they got to the school and then put them on)

Teachers make good learning, not government programs, and I believe most of the teachers here, work hard to help the children.

I know there are good and bad in all countries, but I believe along with home schooling my daughter is better off here.

Then once she is old enough, (because I hold a British and Canadian Passport, and I can get my Australian passport again), then it will be up to my daughter where she wants to go to college or university. She will be registered as my daughter in the UK, and Canada so if she wants to go to Canada or Europe she can.

I know from experience, that just because the parent wants something for the child, does not mean that the child wants the same thing, and that is definitely a waste of money.

Just my thoughts,

Papa Carl

Thanks for your thoughts Carl.  I truly appreciate your observations as you have been "on the ground" with a similar situation for a while now. I did not realize there are so many internationally successful Filipions with training solely from Filipino universities. I have just thought myself that considering the huge number of Filipino expatriates in the world there is amazingly small number of them in high positions in big companies or in the academia, compared to for example Indians, Chinese, or South Americans.  But this is just a personal observation, not based on any solid factual data so I could be way off too.

My kids will also have triple citizenships, and will have options to go study (or work) anywhere in the USA or within Schengen countries in Europe, but that wil certainly require a strong financial plan from my part if I honestly want to make a university education outside of the Philippines a real option.  Even if my kids chose a country where tuitions are very low, the cost of travel and living in that country for the number of years it takes to get a university degree will be significant.  Also, having never lived in that country before, language and cultural differences may become a huge issue.

Your comments about Filipino school kids and teachers are truly heart warming.  Coming from a family of teachers myself, I know how big difference a dedicated teacher or mentor can make in kids' lives.

Lastly, it is obvious that a highly driven and exceptionally talented individual will always do well, regardless of their country of birth or quality of education or diplomas. But for the rest of us, I believe a  university degree from a reputable institution will tremendously improve our chances for a financially secure future.  At the end, like you said, it is the kids who will make the choices and often those choices are made with little concern of the parents preferences. But what the parents can try to do is keep as many options as possible open for the kids to choose from.

As far as my own situation goes, my current thinking is to continue in my job perhaps until the end of the next year, then join my family in the Philippines permanently. If I manage to keep our spending level low enough, I may have sufficient savings available for sending to kids to university outside of the Philippines as well, if they so chooose.  But if the budgeting that way does not work, I am still young enough to get a decent job in the USA or Europe a few years later, so there is the Plan B.  Whatever I end up doing, after we finally are together for good, I never want to be separated from my family for long periods of time again.

Edited by Pettersson
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
MacBubba
Posted
Posted

I believe that the quality of education in the Philippines runs the full gamut.  Speaking for Manila alone, you can't go wrong with UP, Ateneo and La Salle at the university level.  As for grade school and high school for boys, Ateneo, La Salle and Xavier are topnotch.  For girls, you have Assumption, Miriam (formerly Maryknoll) and St. Theresa's.  I am sure there are more than the ones I've just mentioned.

• Like 1