Problem With Globe Telecom

gaga4
Posted
Posted

We recently subscribed to Globe Unlimited 4g service with a Mobile WiFi device for P1000 per month. At the store they said I should get "up to 15mbps" at the locale I want the fast signal. I doubted that I would get anywhere near 15mbps but who am I to question them.

Turns out our fastest speed was only 1.2 mbps not only in Manila but pretty much everywhere we went. (You can test your speed by using the speedtest.net app)

This is not acceptable. We feel deceived by Globe on this matter. 1.2 mbps is a far cry from 15 mbps. I don't have the ability to go to a Globe store at this time so I tried contacting them online. Their online chat does not work nor did they respond to my email.

In the US, I have 12mbps service with AT&T. I just ran speedtest and it came back with 12.52 mbps on my wifi. My 4g was 6.0 mbps at my location.

A contract is a 2-way agreement as far as I am concerned. I am meeting my part by paying for the service. They on the other hand are not meeting their part.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
A contract is a 2-way agreement as far as I am concerned. I am meeting my part by paying for the service. They on the other hand are not meeting their part.

This is in the Philippines? Welcome to the club. Try returning an item under warranty. 

• Like 1

gaga4
Posted
Posted

We expats have buying power. We need to organize and use it.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Actually you already have the power. Raise the decibel level when you complain and sometimes the store manager becomes more accommodating. The truth is foreigners are accorded greater courtesy than ordinary Filipinos, unless the Filipino walks into a store accompanied by six bodyguards.

• Like 2

gaga4
Posted
Posted

Actually you already have the power. Raise the decibel level when you complain and sometimes the store manager becomes more accommodating. The truth is foreigners are accorded greater courtesy than ordinary Filipinos, unless the Filipino walks into a store accompanied by six bodyguards.

I agree. I do that already and I get results even without raising the decibels :-D

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I'm not familiar enough with the 4g network to know what your problem is but expecting a consistent speed of around 15mbps for p1k a month is not very realistic. Neither is comparing US and Philippine internet providers. I would go back to the store where you purchased it and take it up with them but be sure you read the fine print on the contract first. Raising the decibel level is liable to work against you.

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I'm not familiar enough with the 4g network to know what your problem is but expecting a consistent speed of around 15mbps for p1k a month is not very realistic. Neither is comparing US and Philippine internet providers. I would go back to the store where you purchased it and take it up with them but be sure you read the fine print on the contract first. Raising the decibel level is liable to work against you.

I concur. Globe is stating a theoretical max and not a realistic number. But the monthly price is realistic for the level of service you are getting.

The only thing I see to complain about is that Globe set unrealistic expectations. But you are paying about the right price for the bandwidth you are receiving as compared to other telco's.

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I concur. Globe is stating a theoretical max and not a realistic number. But the monthly price is realistic for the level of service you are getting.

The only thing I see to complain about is that Globe set unrealistic expectations. But you are paying about the right price for the bandwidth you are receiving as compared to other telco's.

Absolutely ..... I pay p1300 for 2Mbps + land-line (no long distance) ..... what ever you do do NOT raise your voice to a Filipino .... your wife or girlfriend can but the best way to get into trouble here is to raise your voice .... if your contract is like mine and most others it simply and clearly states UP TO so technically you don't have a leg to stand on .... depending on the time of day mine will very from 1.5Mbps to 2.2Mbps for a 2Mbps service .... JMHO

:cheersty: 

• Like 3

jpbago
Posted
Posted

This is in the Philippines? Welcome to the club. Try returning an item under warranty. 

If you return it within 3 days, you may get a replacement. On some things, that is the length of the warranty. Others have none.

gaga4
Posted
Posted (edited)

I never said and I have no intention of raising the decibel. I don't operate that way. Knowing the right buttons to press is the key. As I said, I was sold a 4g 15mbps service as plainly advertised in their brochure. There is a big differrence between 1.2mbps and 15mbps.

They obviously knew what the actual speed was going to be when they sell this service. And its nowhere near 15mbps. Bottom line, If they can prove to me that someone is actually getting a speed close to 15mbps I'll be more than happy to keep the service.

I am the payer. I am doing my part by paying for 15mbps service. Therefore they need to do their part.

And guess what I am going to do if they are not meeting their part..... simple as that.

Edited by gaga4
  • Like 1