Problem With Globe Telecom

Americano
Posted
Posted

Most Filipinos think its normal for the electric, phone, Internet, and water to go off regularly. That's why most of them don't complain about the poor service. Its the way they grew up and haven't experienced how much better services are in other countries. Maybe if all the OFW's came home at the same time then things would change but that isn't going to happen. Service providers see foreigners as just big complainers because they don't know how poor their service is compared to other countries.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

Most Filipinos think its normal for the electric, phone, Internet, and water to go off regularly. That's why most of them don't complain about the poor service. Its the way they grew up and haven't experienced how much better services are in other countries. Maybe if all the OFW's came home at the same time then things would change but that isn't going to happen. Service providers see foreigners as just big complainers because they don't know how poor their service is compared to other countries.

Right on Americano!  Most Filipinos that travel, work and live abroad finally realize the typical Filipino social

behavior needs drastic improvements.  For example -- table manners, work ethics and common courtesy are

severely lacking in today's Filipino society.  

From my experience dealing with toll free call centers (Paypal, Vonage, TW, Geico), I was pleasantly surprised

to actually talk to a Filipina based in either Cebu or Manila.  All of them were very helpful and had my problems

solved immediately.  I would assume these call centers have western style management and training.  Perhaps

Papa Carl would chime in about the inner workings of the BPO interview, training and management.

In my opinion, even if the whole communications and power infrastructure was designed, built, operated and

then transfer (BOT) to the Filipino work force or government, many products or services will soon deteriorate.  

Is there hope for 2014 and beyond?  Not in my lifetime........

Respectfully -- Jake

• Like 4

gaga4
Posted
Posted

Just because its that way does not mean I will tuck my tails between my legs and go to the corner. Its a problem when people become complacent.

My point is we - Expats, OFW, etc - have the means to pay for services. The Philippines runs on money. People live off it. Expat, OFW ot whoever who has $$$ or PHP have some type of 'power' to influence change. It would be tragic to have a complacent or 'go-with-the-flow' attitude in situations where action is necessary.

No effense but I don't buy the "its that way in the Philippines" comment. Its that way because people let them get away with it.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

• Like 3

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Just because its that way does not mean I will tuck my tails between my legs and go to the corner. Its a problem when people become complacent.

My point is we - Expats, OFW, etc - have the means to pay for services. The Philippines runs on money. People live off it. Expat, OFW ot whoever who has $$$ or PHP have some type of 'power' to influence change. It would be tragic to have a complacent or 'go-with-the-flow' attitude in situations where action is necessary.

No effense but I don't buy the "its that way in the Philippines" comment. Its that way because people let them get away with it.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

With all due respect, I am afraid that is the way it is.....I have been coming and going for 25 years, and have seen no changes. The only way real change will occur is if either the government steps up, and starts honestly representing the people....if that happened, I beleive the locals would then step up as well, and have a voice in what is happening in the country. However, I can't see this happening in the near future. You only have to look at the millions of dollars that have been donated post Yolanda. It has been several weeks since the typhoon, and the money is still not going where it should.

• Like 4

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I agree you should get what you pay for. In your opening post you said, "At the store they said I should get "up to 15mbps". Later you found you were getting much less. In an earlier post I wrote that you should check your contract, it has the Service-Level Agreement between you and Globe. That's all that matters, not what the store employees told you. I think you will find that Globe has covered themselves. 

• Like 1

gaga4
Posted
Posted

I agree you should get what you pay for. In your opening post you said, "At the store they said I should get "up to 15mbps". Later you found you were getting much less. In an earlier post I wrote that you should check your contract, it has the Service-Level Agreement between you and Globe. That's all that matters, not what the store employees told you. I think you will find that Globe has covered themselves. 

Thanks, Mike. Not worried about it. Its actually in big bold letters in their brochure. I know how to handle the situation.

However, part of my point is the informing the Expat Members of the what transpired. What people do with the information is up to them. They can go and get suckered or be smart about it.

gaga4
Posted
Posted

As the old saying goes, there are 3 kinds of people: those that make things happen, those that watch things happen and, those that ask - what happened?

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted (edited)
Maybe if all the OFW's came home at the same time then things would change but that isn't going to happen.

I joked to my partner that when her sister returned from 5 years straight in Japan as an OFW,  she would have trouble re-adjusting to the Philippine way of life, I was amazed when she just slipped back in as if she had never left. Don't hold your breath...

Edited by Fred & Mimi
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
i am bob
Posted
Posted

As the old saying goes, there are 3 kinds of people: those that make things happen, those that watch things happen and, those that ask - what happened?

You are quite correct - there are 3 types of people. Those who make things happen are the wealthy Filipino. Those that watch things happen are the regular folks in the Philippines and the smart ex-pat... Because the ones who ask and ask and ask are the one who find themselves deported because they are now considered "undesirables".

I don't want to pick any one person out and i have been catching up on over 300 posts but i keep seeing one reoccurring theme... People expect the Philippines to be just like home! Ain't gonna happen! In all my years of travel, I have learned to treat other countries and the people there as if I was inserted into the movie "The Wizard Of Oz"... You're gonna meet that cowardly lion... The rusty old tin man... Some old wizard who is great at con jobs... Beautiful women... And some evil "ladies" who want nothing better then to use you and then toss you away... A person could just scream but it's best not to... Why? Those flying monkeys hurt when they bite so it's best to not piss them off! In other words, we aren't at home any more, are we? What was reasonable and expected at home is not the same as what is offered as reasonable and expected in the Philippines. To a Filipino, the rhum is great (agree), the beef is great (we know it's really really tough), and cellphones and WiFi work perfectly fine as advertised (0.1 does fall under the category of "up to15") - we just have different standards in our home countries than what is considered the norm in the Philippines. We just need to remember we aren't in Kansas anymore. And now my rant is done... Oh, wait... Did anyone see Toto? He's what? Lunch for... ?

Sent by using a very long piece of string, a couple tin cans, 2 gaseous monkeys, Tapatalk and my Nexus 4

• Like 1

gaga4
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks Bob. We are all entitled to our own opinion.

Just a bit of levity I guess this means the Philippines will never become the 51st US State that many Pinoys would so much love to be, right? I mean the culture you describe will never adapt.... lol.

I realize you think you know the Philippines very well. Not to argue but my only response to what you said is one can only try. In all cases, one must know when to draw the line - one way or the other.

Oh.... and btw, its more like those who have the mullah can make things happen.... therefore, theres no reason why expats can't be part of that.... but thats your choice...

Edited by gaga4
  • Like 1