Perimeter Walls

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

Most everyone seems to have hollow block walls around their property. We have a 1,500 sqm lot on Panglao, around which we want a wall and gate. A neighbor claims to have experience building such walls. He wants to dig 1 meter below ground level and lay hollow blocks until the wall is 2 meters above ground level.  We want decorative wrought iron on the top. Dimensions of the lot are approximately 24m x 62.5m. We want the wall for noise abatement as well as security.

The price would be P1.1 million. That seems like it may be too much. Should we get another estimate of costs? I want to know why it would be necessary to dig 1 meter below ground level. Is that standard practice? If so, why? Digging down from 16 to 30 cm would be sufficient, in my opinion.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Yes. The quoted price seems excessive. It may include the anticipated, "tawad" or "discount" price to be negotiated. 

I have seen some nice properties with a one meter above ground concrete wall. The remaining height, about two additional meters, is bamboo poles. The wall provides security, noise abatement and it is visually pleasing. Much better looking than the all concrete wall with broken glass or barbed wire on top.

• Like 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

Very interesting. That's valuable info, thank you very much. I presume the bamboo poles are set very close together or overlapping. Unique designs would be easy to do.

I only noticed one house on the island with the barbed wire and broken glass. I met the owners and they  looked to be easily intimidated. I think it's a low-crime area, by PI standards. Very touristy. What we want from a wall is noise abatement and privacy.

Thomas
Posted
Posted
He wants to dig 1 meter below ground level and lay hollow blocks until the wall is 2 meters above ground level. We want decorative wrought iron on the top. Dimensions of the lot are approximately 24m x 62.5m. We want the wall for noise abatement as well as security.
That's over 400 sqm wall side if dig it down, so iẗ́'s a lot of hollowblocks.

Not so good looking, but specialy if the ground is soft, it's stronger to build a compact concrete bottom and put the fence on it. No diggig needed then, I suppouse.   (I did build the ground to my house extension like that, after the ground was flatened.)

The remaining height, about two additional meters, is bamboo poles. The wall provides security, noise abatement and it is visually pleasing. Much better looking than the all concrete wall with broken glass or barbed wire on top.
Yes, better looking, but If it's to easy to climb over, but stop neighbours from see burglars, would REDUCE the security (except for heavy objects as e g motorbikes and fast run and grab things outside the house) because then can burglars make brake ins without being noticed...

Thomas
Posted
Posted
We have a 1,500 sqm lot on Panglao,
I think it's a low-crime area, by PI standards. Very touristy.
Well. One, who did live at Panglao not far from tourist places, sold very cheap because one of his neighbours was to noicy at nights. He told he didn't need any garbage service, because he just put out the garbage in a bag, then it was stolen  :hystery:

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
Yes, better looking, but If it's to easy to climb over, but stop neighbours from see burglars, would REDUCE the security (except for heavy objects as e g motorbikes and fast run and grab things outside the house) because then can burglars make brake ins without being noticed...

I disagree on the reduced security. Burglars would be reluctant to climb over a bamboo wall because they don't know the actual strength. The bamboo wall could topple over them and make a lot of noise.  It could also fall forward if they place a ladder against it. They don't have a problem if the wall is all concrete. Barbed wire or broken glass on the top is easy to overcome. You just need thick cardboard or a blanket for protection. 

If you pass the home of the US Ambassador to the Philippines in Forbes Park, the top of the perimeter fencing is bamboo. Of course, the total height is more than 10 meters to prevent someone from throwing objects over the fence. The compound is likewise well guarded.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)

That does sound high.  We put our fence around a 1240 square meter lot.  Rear fence was solid block, with rebar, to 8 feet.  Sides were hollow block 1/2 way up, then iron bars.  Front was all iron bars with gate.  The footer was dug about 18-20 inch (best guess), but the hole under the columns was quite a bit deeper.  We also had them run wire to each post in case we decide to add lights later.  Not sure what labor cost in your area is but ours was as follows;

1 - Lead man - 300 peso/day

3 - masons - 250 peso/day

6 - labor/assistant to masons - 200 peso/day

In addition we fed them lunch and two light snacks.

All in, I think the total cost came to about $10,000 US.  Not sure what the current price for block, cement, iron, etc are now.  I will try to figure out how to post a picture in the gallery.

Regards,

Mike

Was able to post a picture - "The Driveway"  Also forgot to mention that we had the interior of the wall skim coated so it is nice and smooth.

Edited by Mike J

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
I have seen some nice properties with a one meter above ground concrete wall. The remaining height, about two additional meters, is bamboo poles.

We're about to replace the wire with bamboo on the top of ours.  Aesthetically  more pleasing but I believe the long term upkeep will be a little more expensive. 

billygoat993
Posted
Posted (edited)

The price is too high. Ask for other bidder/contactors. Usually they would dig until they hit the rock/adobe. It depends on your place if its a previous ricefield and would require a deeper digging. Otherwise the 1 meter is too deep since its just a 2 meter fence around. Usually one meter or more is required if its a footing. Since your lot is big the contarctor should space the post properly and not just a few like what others do.

Edited by billygoat993

Americano
Posted
Posted

The bamboo idea sounds good but wouldn't it be easy to cut 2 or 3 bamboo poles and step right in?  All a burglar would need is a small hand saw available at Citi Hardware for only P399. I bought one today and cut through a lot of very hard coconut trees wood with it. Maybe a better idea would be a high concrete wall with bamboo on top.