Perimeter Walls

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)
Was able to post a picture - "The Driveway"

So, for your driveway you bought big bags of rocks and had guys spread it around. Looks like one man is holding a hammer. Was that to break up the larger rocks?

I plan to have electronic perimeter security. Motion detectors and tiny battery powered cameras are cheap. You can get a flash-drive sized motion detector/camera for $10 on ebay. I imagine the average thief in the PI would be quickly deterred by a motion-activated light.

Thanks to everyone for participating!

Edited by Guy F.
  • Like 5

jon1
Posted
Posted

About 5 years ago I built a perimeter wall to close in our plot in Zamboanga. It was a 3M block wall with footings every 4M (1M down and across). I had two metal vehicle gates and 1 pedestrian gate installed. The gates cost me 90,000p and total bill for the wall was 200,000p. It was 30M long (I already had 3 existing walls on the other boundaries). I also installed spikes on the wall and lights on each post. The spikes I had electrified with a 16V AC generator. Just enought to give someone notice to let go and not bother trying to jump it. 

In short I would get another estimate or two.

post-3196-0-40032700-1399855269_thumb.jp

• Like 5

Jake
Posted
Posted

About 5 years ago I built a perimeter wall to close in our plot in Zamboanga. It was a 3M block wall with footings every 4M (1M down and across). I had two metal vehicle gates and 1 pedestrian gate installed. The gates cost me 90,000p and total bill for the wall was 200,000p. It was 30M long (I already had 3 existing walls on the other boundaries). I also installed spikes on the wall and lights on each post. The spikes I had electrified with a 16V AC generator. Just enought to give someone notice to let go and not bother trying to jump it. 

In short I would get another estimate or two.

Dang Jon, that is your primary defense -- I would hate to imagine your primary offense if someone stupid

enough to step foot inside.  He would probably be facing attack dogs and some assault weapons of your

spec ops friends.....he, he.  Hell, you probably have a shooting range inside.

Way to go, my friend -- Jake

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
The spikes I had electrified with a 16V
Why not 16 000V?  Then I suppouse no criminal would come back to you   :)

sjp52
Posted
Posted

I was just wondering why no one ever paints their fence. Well very few do

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm sure Jon has his own reasons but allow me to take a crack at your question.  First thing comes to mind is frying

a local bad guy on your fence.  Will you be charged (foreigner) with reckless imprudence, even though you can

justify protection of life and property?  The other point is economics -- the voltage that Jon is using: 16V AC with a

couple amps should be enough to give you that tingling sensation, just enough to let go and throw you off balance.  

I have gotten bit (slightly electrocuted) working around electrons and in most cases, it's the reaction trying to pull

your hand away that hurts the most.  I have cut myself against sharp metal angles and screws and it ain't pretty

trying to clean the blood inside a high power radar system. 

Sure, there are many ways to defeat high voltage perimeter walls.  But I will assume that Jon is well prepared to

counter any intruders, including the use of deadly force in his kill zone.  

Double tap anyone?  

Edited by Jake
spil chek
  • Like 2

jon1
Posted
Posted

I'm sure Jon has his own reasons but allow me to take a crack at your question.  First thing comes to mind is frying

a local bad guy on your fence.  Will you be charged (foreigner) with reckless imprudence, even though you can

justify protection of life and property?  The other point is economics -- the voltage that Jon is using: 16V AC with a

couple amps should be enough to give you that tingling sensation, just enough to let go and throw you off balance.  

I have gotten bit (slightly electrocuted) working around electrons and in most cases, it's the reaction trying to pull

your hand away that hurts the most.  I have cut myself against sharp metal angles and screws and it ain't pretty

trying to clean the blood inside a high power radar system. 

Sure, there are many ways to defect high voltage perimeter walls.  But I will assume that Jon is well prepared to

counter any intruders, including the use of deadly force in his kill zone.  

Double tap anyone?  

That was my intent. Not enough to kill someone but rather deter or throw them off like Jake said. AC (alternating pulse like) gives them the ability to let go. DC would not give them the option and we would have crispy critters on the spikes (kinda like street food?? hahaha).

The wall was 1st line, 2nd line was 2 large german shepherds (80lbs each), final line of defense was a 45 Colt Commander with several magazines alternately loaded with hollow point and teflon tipped. I also trained the Mrs on how to use the 45. So if ever anything did happen, she could use it or I would first and hand it to her when it's all over. That way she would have powder and it would be detected on the parafinn test when (if) the cops would arrive.

Living in that mindset gets old, which is why I am where I am now.

I was just wondering why no one ever paints their fence. Well very few do

We didn't paint ours so it would not attract too much attention. Too nice = too much money = target for robbery or worse

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
the voltage that Jon is using: 16V AC with a couple amps should be enough to give you that tingling sensation, just enough to let go and throw you off balance

How much voltage would you need to give a tingling sensation to someone pissing on your fence?

• Like 2

jon1
Posted
Posted

The cattle fences use 48V. The amperage is what kills. http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~p616/safety/fatal_current.html

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Well given the reputation Zamboanga has Jon, I can't really blame you.  I know when I was with the ex, even in Butuan, if we ventured outside the city limits she'd also insist I carried a weapon. I never did.  Travel and live smart.

• Like 3