Perimeter Walls

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
By the time they've pulled the fence down they'll be tough enough to prevent any attempt to cross over them.

That does remind me of one thing.  After the original wire fence has been rusted and stretched by those plants, all the local dogs will have figured a way to get through.  So if having the local mutts drop by bothers you then a more solid perimeter wall is a must.  It does help keep humans out unless they are determined.

• Like 3

Classic Dry
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well, Dave, I'd like to see a dog get through mine. Jump over it maybe, but get through it, never !

Those long, hard, multiple thorns are truly unforgiving.

I think a determined thief with thick leather gloves and a decent pair of secateurs would stand

more chance. Could probably cut a path through in less than half an hour 

Edited by Classic Dry
  • Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted

For all you folks suggesting that anything outside the property line is up for grabs, you is correct!  

I was planning on eventually getting a bit of land for growing apples on (yes, it's doable!) and have talked to several Filipinos about security for my eventual house.  It's funny but they mostly believe that, if you don't have a fence, your property is not to be taken.  Rich or poor.  If you do have a fence, you're rich and anything that is left within reach is up for grabs.  The ones who had different ideas (you need a fence!) were either from Capitol area or Cebu City area.  My favourite answer was from a young guy who grew up on a small island without television, internet or cell phones...  "Who needs a fence?  My dogs will bite the thieves first!  And then my friends and neighbours will beat them!"

So I guess the answer is that it depends on where you live!

:mocking:

Yes. In some parts of Sweden, the owners are even FORCED to trim hedges part so they are inside the property.

---

Yes, sure much depending of where you live.

It's much harder to be a thief at a lawful small island anyway, because not so good to be thief, if being cought every time  :lol:

I don't know if it's true, I have never been there, but the rather small island Marinduque claim they have very litle crime.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

here is no such thing as a bad dog, just bad dog owners

Many of the dogs i see 'protecting property' here must have bad owners.  Funny thing is I have never heard anyone say, (about themselves), "I am a bad dog owner", and yet they are there.

So people who plan to get a dog instead of or in addition to other security measures should do a lot of self analysis before choosing that dog.  I like dogs, but the flower power of prickly plants on the perimeter wall appeals to me as less maintenance.

I have thought some about having watch dogs, but I see many problems with it.

Possible it can be good IF it's to protects a SMALL yard or such, perhaps locking them in during daytime,

BUT if having them running around at a biger property during daytime too, would be much to risky they hurt/kill someone, who is NOT a serious criminal, perhaps even an unanunced VISITOR to us, e g some friend to our kids (future) so I don't know when to go and meet them at the end of the property.  :unsure:  It would be much time wasting too even when anounced, because I can need to stay there waiting for hours because of "Filipin time"   :)

I have good hand with almost all dogs, BUT concerning watch dogs, they are suppoused to be more aggresive. Much harder/impossible to teach watch dogs to judge THEMSELVES, who is criminal and who is OK to let in, when no human leader owner is there. 

To get good watch dogs, they need to be tought too to NEVER eat anything from any other than the owners (because otherwice it's easy for criminals to poison the watch dogs to get in...)

So it much harder to teach a dog to be a good watch dog, when being away from the leader, than teach a family dog to behave good.

NOT Philippine related, but it's funny so I tell it anyway  :)

In the neighbour village to where my grandfather lived, a family are disliked, because some of them are very greedy. They owned the gas station/kiosk.

One of the naughty teenagers made friend with their watch dog.  He made break ins in their ALARMED and watch dog guarded kiosk now and then, NOT to realy steal, just to ANNOY the greedy family, forcing them to go there at night time. Once he provoced them extra by on purpouse WAIT there for them, siting BESIDE their watch dog, feeding their dog with THEIR candy  :lol:   

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Not trained watch dogs Thomas, just something that looks mean.  Rottweilers are a perfect example of this.  They're a great, loving family dog if your kids are older but because of their undeserved reputation they scare the sh** of people :thumbsup: .  Dogs are also a great excuse to get me exercising, I'm always at my fittest when I have dogs  :cheers:

I guess at the end of the day, security means having something harder to get at than any of your neighbours.  Just be one step higher than them with how hard your place looks to crack, and you become the less attractive target than they are.   :cheersty:

• Like 4

fred
Posted
Posted (edited)
I think a determined thief with thick leather gloves and a decent pair of secateurs would stand more chance. Could probably cut a path through in less than half an hour 

In just a few seconds of those 30 minutes our dogs would give the potential intruder fair warning..And us resident humans too of his intent!

That said,our fence is not yet finished and in 7 years we have had no problems whatsoever.. Not one.

I often wonder if I will ever actually finish building the fence as the longer we are here the less I feel a need to..

Might just plant more pretty flowers!

Edited by fred
  • Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I think Fred just let us know...   No matter where we are, each property will be different than the others.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Not trained watch dogs Thomas, just something that looks mean. Rottweilers are a perfect example of this. They're a great, loving family dog if your kids are older but because of their undeserved reputation they scare the sh** of people :thumbsup: .
Well. To be good watch dogs, they need to be trained to NEVER eat anything they get from other than the owner, because otherwice can a burgler just poison them very easy.

Yes, I know (most of) them are friendly.  One such have delayed my move to Phils by twisting my bad knee by leaning on me, when he wanted to be scratched   :)

• Like 2

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

Most of you don't seem to know that if you own a Rottweiler, Doberman, German Shepard, Pit Bull or other attack dog that you can go to prison if your dog attacks a Filipino and you do not have a license to own that dog. An attack dog must be registered just as an firearm in your home must be registered. An attack dog is considered a dangerous weapon. I can't provide a link to the law right now but I have read it in the past. Maybe you can find it with a search.

Will those dangerous plants or flowers that some of you are growing in your home country grow in the Philippines and will they grow large enough to be effective against intruders?  Some things that grow in your home country will grow in the Philippines but will be much smaller. For example, tomatoes and bell peppers are very small here.

Edited by Americano
  • Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

How about poison ivy? At least you could identify the trespassers by the rash. Probably no repeat customers either.

• Like 5