Perimeter Walls

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Some things that grow in your home country will grow in the Philippines but will be much smaller. For example, tomatoes and bell peppers are very small here.
For some plants it depend of they don't rain forest type of weather,

BUT in many cases it can just depend of the soil. Much of the Phils soils are exhausted by geting wrong/to litle fertilizer, and the in Phils common red soil type have problem keeping the nutrision even if fertilize it much.

fred
Posted
Posted (edited)
Will those dangerous plants or flowers that some of you are growing in your home country grow in the Philippines and will they grow large enough to be effective against intruders?  Some things that grow in your home country will grow in the Philippines but will be much smaller. For example, tomatoes and bell peppers are very small here.

A lot of it depends on your locations elevation in regards too sea level..

Here`s an example of what they grow in Bukidnon. (Hydroponically)

9cf4.jpg

dacb.jpg

And here are some cucumbers that I grew last year.

P8180171.jpg

Ive lost the pictures of the Beef steak tomatoes that I grew last year but they were huge.. Problem was that the pests got to them before I could eat them so my next lot will be grown in a netted tunnel..Where there`s a will,there`s a way.

Back to the topic though!!..As for bougainvilleas,they grow huge in this climate with no care whatsoever.. Takes about 3 years before you can call it fence worthy though. 

Edited by fred
  • Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

So if having the local mutts drop by bothers you then a more solid perimeter wall is a must.  It does help keep humans out unless they are determined.

Oh Yes Dave I could not agree more, in Fact, while my Night security, were Sleeping and just being idle, I took a few photos to show what we have done, to be a lot more secure. I added a couple to show what we are trying to protect.

A lot of Photos because there is a lot of wall

:tiphat:

post-2148-0-82149700-1402624152_thumb.jp

post-2148-0-21988400-1402624212_thumb.jp

post-2148-0-37604600-1402624230_thumb.jp

post-2148-0-56742500-1402624249_thumb.jp

post-2148-0-38446500-1402624264_thumb.jp

post-2148-0-58380800-1402624281_thumb.jp

post-2148-0-68208100-1402624297_thumb.jp

post-2148-0-88936700-1402624312_thumb.jp

post-2148-0-64652900-1402624328_thumb.jp

post-2148-0-55767400-1402624343_thumb.jp

post-2148-0-56035600-1402624359_thumb.jp

post-2148-0-51664300-1402624389_thumb.jp

post-2148-0-18748000-1402624404_thumb.jp

post-2148-0-01899500-1402624419_thumb.jp

post-2148-0-16546600-1402624434_thumb.jp

post-2148-0-99075200-1402624449_thumb.jp

post-2148-0-01823600-1402624465_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Classic Dry
Posted
Posted
Back to the topic though!!..As for bougainvilleas,they grow huge in this climate with no care whatsoever.. Takes about 3 years before you can call it fence worthy though

Yep, sad to say three years would be about right.

You could build a few walls in that time.

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

Nice wall Jack. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Looks like it will keep out dogs, goats, cows, carabao and old people but I think a young Filipino can climb over the wall faster than he can climb a coconut tree. The cutout places in the concrete wall with the vertical bars are the weak spots. A person can walk up the concrete arch while holding on to the bars and then grab the concrete post in the middle and then step over the bars and walk down the other side or jump down.

The compound I live in has a concrete wall around it. Most of the wall is very secure but it has 2 spots which are easy to climb over. About 3 months ago someone climbed over the wall and tried to steal the speakers from the back of my multicab. He would have stole them but he couldn't remove 2 of the screws. A security wall is only as good as its weakest point. Its similar to a chain which is only as strong as its weakest link.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Nice wall Jack. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Looks like it will keep out dogs, goats, cows, carabao and old people but I think a young Filipino can climb over the wall faster than he can climb a coconut tree. The cutout places in the concrete wall with the vertical bars are the weak spots. A person can walk up the concrete arch while holding on to the bars and then grab the concrete post in the middle and then step over the bars and walk down the other side or jump down.

Thank You for the comments,

Basically, we are aware that the cut outs can be a weak spot, we did it so we can see out and neighbours can see in, also the Dogs can Identify intruders before they get surprised. As it is on the main Barangay Road, there is usually up till 11 pm some one walking that Road.  It is a busy Road at most times of the day. So anyone climbing, would be seen, The Dogs would sort the rest out.

Of course, it remains to be seen what can or will happen. As we have said all along, Thieves will get in if they really want to.

We thought long and hard about what to do, " Damned if you do, Damned if you don't " comes to mind here. 

Any way Done now and "SHE" is Happier, so who am I to disagree :unsure:  

Thank You all for the Interest shown.

JP :tiphat:

• Like 2

fred
Posted
Posted

The compound I live in has a concrete wall around it. Most of the wall is very secure but it has 2 spots which are easy to climb over. About 3 months ago someone climbed over the wall and tried to steal the speakers from the back of my multicab. He would have stole them but he couldn't remove 2 of the screws. A security wall is only as good as its weakest point. Its similar to a chain which is only as strong as its weakest link.

Probably the most effective anti intruder fence Ive seen here is around our Mayors house.. Its a concrete poured wall about 5 ft high with really thick 2" angle iron coming out of it all the way along 4" apart.. The Iron is about 5 ft high and sharpened at the top with no cross members and painted black.

I cant see a safe way for a burglar to get over it? I call it..The impaler!

If it was painted with the non drying burglar paint,I`d call it impenetrable. 

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

"WOW", any chance of a Photo fred?? it sounds very impressive.

fred
Posted
Posted

"WOW", any chance of a Photo fred?? it sounds very impressive.

Jack,like some of humanities best ideas..It`s really rather simple!

I`ll take some pictures when I get the chance and post them for you..

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

Fred,

I would like to see the wall too because I'm still trying to decide how I will build my wall. I want a secure wall around my home but I don't want it to look like a prison. My wife thinks broken glass and razer wire on top of a concrete wall is a good deterrent but razer wire is used on some prison walls. Not having any cross members is very good and angle iron is better than large rebar which some people may be able to climb by pinching it between their toes. The angle iron will also let wind blow through which a solid concrete wall will block. And, if you think someone could still climb up the black angle iron you could put some heavy duty automotive grease on part of each angle iron.

• Like 2