Perimeter Walls

robert k
Posted
Posted

I have read guides written by filipinos who say it's ok to pick fruit from the side of the road, that it's expected. Of course I would never do such a thing.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I have read guides written by filipinos who say it's ok to pick fruit from the side of the road

It is also 'ok' (according to filipinos I have spoken with) to pick flowers, or fruit or trim bushes and branches that are growing on your side of the property line.  Seems that you no longer own anything that strays outside your property boundaries.  In the same way, if their chicken strolls onto your property and your dogs kill it . .  dog food.  If your dog strolls onto their property and kills a chicken . . . chicken food.

• Like 3

Malcolm Graham
Posted
Posted

But surely the bit that is outside your property line is no longer yours. As long as it is outside the property line you can quite legally trim the whole plant or tree back to the property line including roots.  I believe that's also the case in most countries, I know it is in UK.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

For all you folks suggesting that anything outside the property line is up for grabs, you is correct!  

I was planning on eventually getting a bit of land for growing apples on (yes, it's doable!) and have talked to several Filipinos about security for my eventual house.  It's funny but they mostly believe that, if you don't have a fence, your property is not to be taken.  Rich or poor.  If you do have a fence, you're rich and anything that is left within reach is up for grabs.  The ones who had different ideas (you need a fence!) were either from Capitol area or Cebu City area.  My favourite answer was from a young guy who grew up on a small island without television, internet or cell phones...  "Who needs a fence?  My dogs will bite the thieves first!  And then my friends and neighbours will beat them!"

So I guess the answer is that it depends on where you live!

:mocking:

• Like 5

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

Bob raises a good point about dogs.  My parents have bred Rottweilers and English Staffordshire terriers my entire life; not with each other of course (just in case you are unaware, there is not such breed as an American Staffordshire; it's just people dodging the law with regards to Pitt Bulls).  When posted to the Northern Territory of Australia I used to go shooting (hunting for the yanks) feral pigs and buffaloes with "Staffy's" with my brother-in-law.  I saw one of my dogs take down a 150kg pig with no help from my old vintage 303 in Kakadu national park (we were licenced bounty hunters and paid for each snout) with no problems at all and still let my kids drag her around the back yard by her tail when they were under 5 years of age and they all adored each other.  Either breed are one you don't want to mess with if you're not a family member known to them.  Not sure what the costs are of a good dog are in PI but as I'm sure most of you are aware pet ownership teaches your kids responsibility by looking after him/her, a great warning system if you have something smaller of any breed and a loyal companion for life if you treat them right.  

Just as an aside, keep large dogs away from small children while they're larger puppies unsupervised (the larger the dog, the longer you have to do this), they are big, boisterous, playful animals looking for fun and kids may be inadvertently injured. I've been knocked on my arse by a 12 month old Dogge De Bourdeax (Turner and Hooch anyone?) who was just playing (he weighed in at about 60kg not fully grown (120ish lbs)).  There is no such thing as a bad dog, just bad dog owners and the dog, generally speaking, has a very strong protective streak when it comes to their pack i.e. you and your family, if treated right.   

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
here is no such thing as a bad dog, just bad dog owners

Many of the dogs i see 'protecting property' here must have bad owners.  Funny thing is I have never heard anyone say, (about themselves), "I am a bad dog owner", and yet they are there.

So people who plan to get a dog instead of or in addition to other security measures should do a lot of self analysis before choosing that dog.  I like dogs, but the flower power of prickly plants on the perimeter wall appeals to me as less maintenance.

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Not much experience of dogs in PI but I'd imagine the bad dog owners are there, refusing to admit to the fact they are - human nature.

I love dogs, had dogs all my life so not a chore for me.  But yes, you're right Dave, it is a commitment that needs to be thought on very carefully, after all, cute little puppies turn into dogs that require a lifetime of care.

Woof.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

But yes, you're right Dave, it is a commitment that needs to be thought on very carefully, after all, cute little puppies turn into dogs that require a lifetime of care.

Dave will know, that I have recently, done a thread on another Forum, based on this very Subject.

Unfortunate as it is, an awful lot of people here cannot, keep their children, Clean and fed so what chance, has a Dog got.

A hungry animal will revert to instinct. Survival. They can become Hunters, Predators, like most animals, a rouge one is a dangerous one. 

Like everything else here though, it is no ones fault. Just a Bad Dog.

JP :tiphat:

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

So I guess the answer is that it depends on where you live!

:unsure:  I have given this a lot of thought since I read this. Of course this is so very true. We spent a long time  years(4) years in deciding where we should buy, so many options, so many Factors to put into the Equation. As most of us, we did what we thought, was the necessary Homework, we had to think about  Schools, Transport, Shops and all the usual things we should take into account. 

Along with the General area, Cleaner air ( 2km) Outside the City going toward Valencia, Cooler air, generally a lot better Air Quality.

Security was also a Major Factor. The Immediate Area is fairly safe and trouble free. We had Mesh fencing to begin with and the local kids and others were pretty good. However, we had a few problems with Fruit Stealing from bushes and our 2 mango tress that could be reached from outside the Fencing. 

I would have like to have had just an open wrought Iron fencing all around, but it was not going to work. We decided, to have a 2 meter CHB wall built all round. Nope that was not going to work either. Our daughter caught 2 boys ( Unknown) Climbing the Wall.

So recently, we have added height to 3 meters and had it Spiked. So far so Good,

The front and Side has 2 x 3 meter scalloped sections so that we can see, who is about and can be seen from outside.

What we did not realize at the time, is that the road that runs along the side of the House is used by people going as a short cut to the other half of the Barangay. These we find are the main Culprits of any wrong Doing.

So we have now realized, that not all people, stick to any rules of helping themselves. In some areas, if they are not known and can get away with it, They will. 

So whilst I have enjoyed reading this Topic and it gave me a lot of good Ideas, and understanding the nature of the mainly  good people here, We have we feel opted for the safest thing all round.

The Dogs are loose all day and at weekends and Fiesta times at night also.

For us. if you are going to live in an Area that can be accessed by Non locals, a Perimeter Wall it should be.

It keeps people out and our Dogs in.

If a thief wants, to get in, we have to say "Where there is a will, there will be a way"

So yes "Bob" it does depend on where you Live, and take the Actions necessary, to keep what is yours, Yours. 

:tiphat:

• Like 4

Classic Dry
Posted
Posted

I love Bougainvillea (Nature's barbed wire) I have several plants around my yard. Lovely to look at.

They grow like weeds (fast) with no care at all. Put them against a wire fence. By the time they've

pulled the fence down they'll be tough enough to prevent any attempt to cross over them.

I rarely escape being lacerated or punctured even when wearing leather gloves when I'm trying

to cut them back.

The coloured  parts are leaves. The flowers are tiny insignificant things. 

Whoever wants to take some of mine for decoration they're welcome. Bet they can't do it without bleeding.

• Like 3