Perimeter Walls

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

In Hawaii, someone had a similar flower fence. The buses filled with Japanese tourists stopped for picture taking. The neighbors complained. In the Philippines, it would be difficult to have a fence with cascading flowers. The neighbors would help themselves to the flowers. Some will knock on your door to ask for permission. Most won't bother asking.

• Like 3

fred
Posted
Posted (edited)

In Hawaii, someone had a similar flower fence. The buses filled with Japanese tourists stopped for picture taking. The neighbors complained. In the Philippines, it would be difficult to have a fence with cascading flowers. The neighbors would help themselves to the flowers. Some will knock on your door to ask for permission. Most won't bother asking.

The whole point of the posts and barbed wire and thorny plants is that the neighbours cant get in!!

One thing worth adding.. These plants grow large and the climbers can get to 4" thick.. The concrete posts need to be strong as the plant can eventually snap them in half.. 

Its like something out of Day of the triffids!

Edited by fred
  • Like 3

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)

That's beautiful, fred! How long does it take to grow something like that?

Did you have barbed wire when I was there? I can't remember. The only place I recall seeing barbed wire and broken glass was near the bridges.

For my wall I am leaning toward 2 meters of hollow blocks topped with 1 to 2 meters of bamboo. Something decorative could be done. Maybe closely spaced bamboo poles of ramdomly varying lengths between 1 and 2 meters, with the poles being thin enough that climbing over them would be risky. Bamboo poles can be made pointy, I believe.

Would noise reduction be improved if the hollow blocks were filled with something such as sand or dirt?

Edited by Guy F.
  • Like 2

fred
Posted
Posted
That's beautiful, fred! How long does it take to grow something like that?

Guy..

We buy ours in pots from the locals for about 100.00 Pesos each..The ones we have planted out have got about that high in just 2 years..

I have a friend from the US here that has them right round his property and they are huge!! 

Did you have barbed wire when I was there? I can't remember. The only place I recall seeing barbed wire and broken glass was near the bridges.

Only on 3 sides of the property as of now Guy.. Because of the project we have going on in Panglao we have had to put things at home on the back burner..That said we have never had any issues from the few neighbours we have..Wonderful people! Couldnt wish to live anywhere more peaceful.

For my wall I am leaning toward 2 meters of hollow blocks topped with 1 to 2 meters of bamboo. Something decorative could be done. Maybe closely spaced bamboo poles of ramdomly varying lengths between 1 and 2 meters, with the poles being thin enough that climbing over them would be risky. Bamboo poles can be made pointy, I believe

The wall sounds good but personally I wouldn't use bamboo as it does`t last that long outside without strict maintenance and pest control.

Been there..Done that!  What about angle iron instead?

Would noise reduction be improved if the hollow blocks were filled with something such as sand or dirt?

Your hollow block wall will be reinforced with 10/12 mm rebar..This goes horizontally (every 3rd block) and vertically inside the hollow section and must be completely encased with cement.. Solid mass like a CHB wall gives the best kind of noise insulation as opposed to anything else.. I know this as I helped a mate design a Karaoke room and had to do a load of research on acoustics.. 

That said,I doubt any type of perimeter fence can defend against Karaoke!!

Cheers,

Fred.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hey Fred,

Regarding perimeter wall for noise abatement, may I suggest mounting 1000 watt speakers aimed toward

the source and feed it back to them.  The US Army has similar tactics for psychological warfare.  Blast

your enemy at high intensity and focused music of punk rock.  Even the stray dogs will run to the next

province.....he, he.

Good luck in all your projects -- Jake 

• Like 5

fred
Posted
Posted

Hey Fred,

Regarding perimeter wall for noise abatement, may I suggest mounting 1000 watt speakers aimed toward

the source and feed it back to them.  The US Army has similar tactics for psychological warfare.  Blast

your enemy at high intensity and focused music of punk rock.  Even the stray dogs will run to the next

province.....he, he.

Good luck in all your projects -- Jake 

Ha ha!! Nice one!

• 2 weeks later...
Americano
Posted
Posted

Bamboo on a perimeter wall may look good but won't necessarily keep criminals out unless you put something like rebar or concrete inside the bamboo. I have a very small hand saw that I can cut through 2 large bamboo in about 30 seconds. There's no need to climb over the bamboo when it can easily be cut.

The flower fence looks great but good luck on keeping a fence like that in the Philippines. As someone said, people will take your flowers and most will not even ask your permission. When my relatives visited recently no one knew what steal means so I told them its taking something without the owner's permission. They all looked surprise because they had never heard that before. Why isn't it taught by parents and in school, because they don't know either is my guess. Whatever you can grab without someone complaining is yours. That's the way they do it on the lot my wife and I own too. We don't have to harvest the coconuts and bananas, someone always does it for us when we are not present. Thieves are everywhere in the Philippines so you think they won't steal your beautiful flowers?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Thats a very negative point of view, Americano, so to counter that perspective let me tell you of the 3 years i spent on Biliran island, living in a barangay of the town of Naval.

The property was 3,000 sm.  There was a small gate and fence for show at the driveway.  The rest of the property had no fence, or bits of bamboo in places, or bits of rusty barbed wire that only served to trap my dog one day when he was being chased by another dog.

Point is, in 3 years all the neighbors respected the property line and did not cross without asking, exception being the creek that ran through the property and once in a while the DENR would walk the creek bed checking for who knows what (they said flood prevention).  Nothing I left lying around there was ever stolen. No fruit was ever taken from the trees without permission.

So I have to conclude you are in a bad area if this is happening to you.

• Like 5

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

Having the Bouganvillea on the inner side of the wall would not attract attention from passersby and would still make climbing over the wall painful.

• Like 3