Perimeter Walls

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I was just wondering why no one ever paints their fence. Well very few do

We didn't paint ours so it would not attract too much attention. Too nice = too much money = target for robbery or worse

I even concider not to paint my HOUSE of that reason   - at the side towards the entrance road   :)   

(I want to build 250 + meters from the public road, so there is chance to avoid they see the sides.)

But perhaps I will have to paint the sunny sides white to reduce the heat.

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

I have worked in electronics most of my life so I can't believe that only 16 vac is enough to scare away a criminal.  A shock from 16 vac would be very small if it could be felt at all. Are you sure its only 16 vac?  Have you checked it with a meter and convinced someone to touch it to see if it really works?  70 vac will give you a good shock if you're grounded but if you're not grounded then its best to be in the thousands of volts if you want to scare away a criminal. Stun guns are in the millions of volts but don't usually kill because the amperage is very small.

Recently my wife shocked a dog that was on our land on his ear with one of our 11 million volt stun guns. He yelped and run away very fast and didn't look back. He took off going South and about 2 hours later she saw him heading North but far away from us. That's been about 2 weeks now and we haven't seen him again. 16 vac? I don't think he would even feel it.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have worked in electronics most of my life so I can't believe that only 16 vac is enough to scare away a criminal.  A shock from 16 vac would be very small if it could be felt at all. Are you sure its only 16 vac?  Have you checked it with a meter and convinced someone to touch it to see if it really works?  70 vac will give you a good shock if you're grounded but if you're not grounded then its best to be in the thousands of volts if you want to scare away a criminal. Stun guns are in the millions of volts but don't usually kill because the amperage is very small.

Recently my wife shocked a dog that was on our land on his ear with one of our 11 million volt stun guns. He yelped and run away very fast and didn't look back. He took off going South and about 2 hours later she saw him heading North but far away from us. That's been about 2 weeks now and we haven't seen him again. 16 vac? I don't think he would even feel it.

Yeah, I hear ya Phillip......I always thought that kilovolts is the best way to fry someone's gonads.  As you look at the basic

formula of Ohm's Law: current (amps) equals voltage divided by ohms (resistance), please allow me to further confuse you,

along with the other members......he, he.

Let's take a standard 12vdc car battery....would you want to place your pee-pee across the positive and negative terminals?  

Why not.....it's only a measly 12 volts DC (it doesn't matter DC/AC for this discussion).  But If you take a look at the other

spec of that battery, the amperes are rated several hundred amps -- the amps pried your little priend, not the voltage.  

Voltage is equivalent to pressure.  It controls how much materials (water, electrons) can pass through a conduit at a given

time and place (pipe, wire, radar wavequide).  In this case, the materials are those electrons, with balls of energy rated at

750 amps coming your way.  It doesn't need higher voltage to escape your control gate (voltage) because your little priend

was that stupid and was already moist to begin with (< resistance).  Give me a break guys, I'm trying real hard to make a

techno babble into a less babble bullchit.

Actually, should stop now.  I could go on about voltage and resistance part of Ohm's Law but I would rather use KISS Law instead.  

At any rate, please read the link provided by Jon1:

post-686-0-71411200-1399926086_thumb.jpg Starting at only .2 amps (200ma), you're beyond dead, you're getting well done......

Here's a trivial question: why does the Philippines employ 220VAC power grid, instead 120VAC?  Let's see

who could Google the answer first -- hint: economics

Edited by Jake
  • Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

Bigger amperage means thicker gauge wire = more expensive mainly to overcome heat induced by the current (amps)

The current I in amps (A) is equal to the power P in watts (W) divided by the voltage V in volts (V):

ipv.gif

Eg:  A 1.5hp air-con runs at about 900watts so divide that figure by 220VAC = 4.1amps.  To run the same AC at 110VAC would require wire rated at 8.2amps.  Lower current (amps) is also a little safer as it doesn't have the same potential to overheat as lower voltage and therefore higher amperage systems do. 

Here's an apple Professor Jake. 

Edit:  It would cost the same to run on either system as we're billed at how many KWh (kilowatt hours, 1000watts = 1KWh) we use. 

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

Bigger amperage means thicker gauge wire = more expensive mainly to overcome heat induced by the current (amps)

The current I in amps (A) is equal to the power P in watts (W) divided by the voltage V in volts (V):

ipv.gif

Eg:  A 1.5hp air-con runs at about 900watts so divide that figure by 220VAC = 4.1amps.  To run the same AC at 110VAC would require wire rated at 8.2amps.  Lower current (amps) is also a little safer as it doesn't have the same potential to overheat as lower voltage and therefore higher amperage systems do. 

Here's an apple Professor Jake. 

Edit:  It would cost the same to run on either system as we're billed at how many KWh (kilowatt hours, 1000watts = 1KWh) we use. 

Dang Brett, forget about that apple.  Let's go to the karaoke bar and sing My Way with our favorite Marine

as our one man fan club salivating at your package -- you certainly earned the bonus point!

Yes indeed, it would be economically cost effective for power grid operators to run their transmission lines

all over PI with a less diameter tension line and of course with less weight.  

Thank you -- Jake

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
Dang Brett, forget about that apple. Let's go to the karaoke bar and sing My Way with our favorite Marine as our one man fan club salivating at your package -- you certainly earned the bonus point!

Think our respective better halves would let us get away with that in Barretto?  :hystery:

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I always thought that kilovolts is the best way to fry someone's gonads. As you look at the basic formula of Ohm's Law: current (amps) equals voltage divided by ohms (resistance), please allow me to further confuse you, along with the other members......he, he.
I GUESS Ohm have something to do too with the pain/fry level, but not in the cable, but in the body. As I suppouse you know, it's a huge difference between

if the power go through the body

or if just toughing.

E g  if toughing a fence for animals, then it's (almost) not feeling at all if having rubber boots on and only tought the wire with one hand, so to test it some farmers put a knife in the ground and tough it with the other hand.

And 220 V is painful, but not dangerous (if not have heart problem) if just toughing it,

but is dangerous for everyone if toughing a pipe or something else grounded with the other hand at the same time.

Perhaps this reduce the confusion a bit   :)  for them who don't know electrics.

• Like 3

Americano
Posted
Posted

Thomas seems to know a lot about the subject of being shocked as I do from many years of actually experiencing electric shock from AC and DC at different volts and amps. Most people only speak from reading the theory of volts and amps and what it could possibly do to a person but I have actually experienced it when working on live circuits from 1965 to 2009.

When I first connected my wall mounted water heater in the CR in Cebu City there was no grounding wire, so between the water coming out of the heater and the water pipes was 70 volts AC, so when taking a shower you could get a good tingling on your ass if it touched one of the pipes but it wasn't enough shock to stop us from taking a shower. I don't like being shocked so I fixed it as soon as possible.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Thomas seems to know a lot about the subject of being shocked as I do from many years of actually experiencing electric shock from AC and DC at different volts and amps.
As I wrote in an other topic, I try to learn by other's mistake, and at least not do same mistakes more than once myself, but I have been a two shocks anyway, but different types of mistakes  :)

/Not counting the farmer's animal fence type, because such is done on purpouse to test if it functions so animals sure will be shocked if they tought it.

/Once I repaired the 220V light, when the electric functioned, but not the light. I THOUGHT I had disconnected the electric, but in the dark I had disconnected an other, so I started repairing with the light still connected to the electric  :)    Such hurt, but just similar to get a punch to the arm  =Get some pain in the arm and it become a bit weaker a while.

/But back when I were kid, and knew less about electric shocks, I THOUGHT I could touch the conection to the sparkplug to a moped during the engine was running, trying to improve the lose contact. That wasn't a good idea   :lol:     It did hurt more than the 220V volt.

• Like 2