Colonoscopy

Shol
Posted
Posted

Was your stool light colored also ?

After the first day or two it turned to light yellow, yes.  I believe that is just because the crap is going through you so fast.  Anyway, I have only that one experience to give you, Medic Mike is the educated one.  If he is not suggesting that the treatment I suggest is going to hurt you then it is the cheapest fix to try.  If it works, great.  If it does not, what's the downside?

Yeah you have the same as I did... I can give it a shot I don't think it will hurt although he's recommending a different diet for a week... might try that. Just get a bit scared because it's going on for so long worried about long term damage...

thanks..

BTW - this doctor when he prescibed it did he do any other tests on you first ? or was this his initial prescription...

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

If it is bascterial gastro, this will not go away by itself. On going diahorea can have other consequences for your health. So you need to get it sorted quick smart. Without personally examing you myself, I have a feeling it sounds like a case of simple bacterial gastro which should be resolve quickly with the right ABs. Colonscopy is kind of hitting it with a big hammer, but it is your call. After change of diet, course of ABs, colonscopy would be a last resort of having a look to see if there is any abnormal inflamation, etc etc.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
was this his initial prescription...

'She' diagnosed it on one visit and said it would not go away by itself because (paraphrasing from memory)  the bad bugs have killed off all the good bugs so you need to kill off the bad ones and replace them with good bacteria.

Of course she was talking to me like I was a child but doctors often do that and I don't mind as these are words I can understand, even if a professional would take issue with them.  Take that for what it is worth to you, its all I can tell you.

Shol
Posted
Posted

If it is bascterial gastro, this will not go away by itself. On going diahorea can have other consequences for your health. So you need to get it sorted quick smart. Without personally examing you myself, I have a feeling it sounds like a case of simple bacterial gastro which should be resolve quickly with the right ABs. Colonscopy is kind of hitting it with a big hammer, but it is your call. After change of diet, course of ABs, colonscopy would be a last resort of having a look to see if there is any abnormal inflamation, etc etc.

Would you recommend the ones that was prescribed to Dave or something else.  I was given metronidazole but did not take it as of yet based on the doctors here so far...

Just let me know your opinion :)

Thanks!

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted (edited)

Would you recommend the ones that was prescribed to Dave or something else.  I was given metronidazole but did not take it as of yet based on the doctors here so far...

Thanks!

metronidazole is ok, however it is kind of a broad spectrum bacterial AB, if it was me, I would have perscribed something more selective for the GI tract.

Edited by Medic Mike

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF02756213

Eighty-one children with giardiasis have been studied clinically and the response to treatment with metronidazole (Flagyl) and furazolidine (Furoxone) has been evaluated. Success rate with Flagyl was 95.6 per cent and with Furoxone 94.4 per cent. Apart from nausea or vomiting in a few cases no significant side-effect was noted.

Doctor Google tells me its 6 of 1 or half dozen of the other.

Shol
Posted
Posted

Eighty-one children with giardiasis have been studied clinically and the response to treatment with metronidazole (Flagyl) and furazolidine (Furoxone) has been evaluated. Success rate with Flagyl was 95.6 per cent and with Furoxone 94.4 per cent. Apart from nausea or vomiting in a few cases no significant side-effect was noted.

Dave do you remember your dosage with

furazolidone ?

I can't read it it stated 1 tablet of 100 MG every 8 hours or more ?  I am reading online they recommend average is 3-4 a day but perhaps that is not required. Just want to make sure and see if you remember what she prescribed you.

Shol
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks!

metronidazole is ok, however it is kind of a broad spectrum bacterial AB, if it was me, I would have perscribed something more selective for the GI tract.

Ok po thanks.  Based on your recommendation which one should I go and ask the doctor to prescribe based on your limited experience with me :)  I think I can get the other one Bacillus clausii without a prescription.  Alternatively I can take this metronidazole i have here already if it might benefit

Thanks a ton :) I have something to try other than the bland diet which I will be rigid with starting today

Edited by Shol

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

furazolidone ?

I can't read it it stated 1 tablet of 100 MG every 8 hours or more ?  I am reading online they recommend average is 3-4 a day but perhaps that is not required. Just want to make sure and see if you remember what she prescribed you.

usually i prescribe that drug as 100mg QID for at least 5 days....QID means 4 times a day...

Shol
Posted
Posted

furazolidone ?

usually i prescribe that drug as 100mg QID for at least 5 days....QID means 4 times a day...

OK hard to read so small the tablets i have here are labelled Metronidazole Amibazole but I am pretty sure they are 500 MG tablets.. should i eat only one a day ? I guess I can just go and get that one that Dave was using... unless you have a better one that you can recommend