Need Help On Costs

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

I would strongly suggest that you and the other newer members read this POST by travis,

he called it like he saw it

2, since you have not been here, come for a short 30-45 day visit

so you can be aware of what "fun or dangers exist in the Philippines"

3. you should talk with someone who has been here or who is here so you can get any questions you have answered.

http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/10260-moving-back-to-the-us-was-the-best-decision-i-ever-made/#entry49358

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

In one of your posts you mentioned that in the past when moving to a new location you could easily find manual labor and low skilled pickup work.

That will not work for you in the Philippines for two reasons. There are already plenty of filipino's to do that work and they have better connections in their community than you will ever have. In the Philippines it is all about who you know. Second, that type of work pays a pittance. Maybe enough so you can drink a few beers at the end of the day. The minimum wage in the Philippines for a full time job is 250 to 300 pesos per day. That is $6-$7 USD per day.

English as a second language may be your best option for generating extra income. With that in mind you may want to consider relocating to an area of the Philippines where that is in demand. Those are primarily larger cities with call centers, BPO businesses and universities with Korean students. Those cities would have a higher cost of living than in the province.

• Like 2

ITSMRBILL
Posted
Posted

COPY THAT! I understand thanks for the great info!......im used to rain and hurricanes florida 8 years... I love rain btw any type even tropical lol...it does not bother me like some ppl. I worked in many call centers too. some things to think about good info!

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

One more thing.  Your visa extensions will take up about 10% of your monthly pension.  You will also be required to leave the country every so often for a visa run.  Deduct that from your monthly pension.

Good luck.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Well Bill. You asked and ye did receive. All kinds of opinions and advice weather to come or not, everything from NO WAY to JUMP ON THE NEXT PLANE. Looks like you have made up your mind and that's great. Now I suggest you really buckle down, take a deep breath and do some serious research and make a sound plan. For example:

1. Travel. Round trip changeable plane ticket in case things go wrong and you have an escape valve or a 1 way ticket with a throw away exit. (whats that you ask? lots of topics about them on the forum)

2. What to bring? You will have 2 carry on bags of 50 pounds each. I suggest getting shirts made of Underarmor material, the sweat dries fast and dark colors don't show much (and you will sweat lol). Bringing you own laptop? Make sure you have the $$$ to buy a converter here. 220 current not the 110 anything from the states uses. Shirts, shoes, flipflops, sandles, long pants, underwear all your clothing. If you are not 5 foot 6 and weigh 140 lbs or less, and have a size 6 foot, the chances are YOU WILL NOT find cloths that fit you here. And if you do they will be at the high end stores that you wont be able to afford on your budget.

3. Passport? is it current? whats the expiration date? might want to renew it there in case you don't settle in the Manila area.

4. Where to settle? Lots of different places (many topics here) Make sure you not to far in the jungle because you'll need to be close to a BI office so you can renew your visa periodically (whats that? lots of topics about it here...oh yeah there is another fee for that to figure into your budget).

This is just the tip of the proverbial iceberg, Others will chime in with many more I am sure. Oh yeah, one last thing (until I remember something later lololol) DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES calculate your getting a job here in any form what so ever into your plans. There are many many topics here about it. If you do happen to find something that is great, but I strongly suggest that you do not calculate getting one into you plans.

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3. Passport? is it current? whats the expiration date? might want to renew it there in case you don't settle in the Manila area.

Passports need to be so far away from the expiration date that you can come here and go back and yet still have 6 months before the expiration date.  Otherwise you will find yourself renewing your passport in Philippines.  Its been done, but it one more headache.  Unfortunately, I don't think you can renew it unless you have less than 1 year until expiry.  At least that is the info they gave me when renewing my Canadian Passport (going from memory so this ain't gospel, just something to check on).

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I suggest you read the thread on the Aussie in Toledo prison before you come just to see another potential pitfall.Good luck mate.

• Like 2

GregZ
Posted
Posted (edited)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thousand-Trails-RV-Park-Membership-/151353637195?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item233d61394b

An alternative for you.  This PARTICULAR camping membership is $500 + Transfer fee is $750.  Dues are $677.20 annually or $83.94 monthly.  This allows you 2 weeks (no additional cost) in the park and 1 week out.  Takes care of 2/3 your problem... but read on.

There are other BETTER memberships for about the same amount that allow park to park.  Right now on top of the dues I pay $100 a month for gas, etc to go from Orlando Thousand Trails to Wauchula Thousand Trails.  Two weeks in one and back to the other.  Total cost including dues is $150 a month for me.  Your results may vary.

If you are set on the Philippines then go for it.  I lived there WITH FAMILY for $800 a month.  If your posts are all true then you can do it.

Take things that do NOT need a step-down transformer; it will waste your electricity.  Just check your computer adapter to make sure it says 100~220 volt or something similar and get rid of any 110 volt items.

Check your change fee on an airline ticket carefully if you get a round trip ticket intending to maybe use it.  My last change fee was $250 on a cheaper ticket.  I recommend one-way and a throw-away ticket as I am a low budget guy like you.  After all you do NOT plan on using the return and it will cost at least $600 more.

Best of luck... :tiphat:

EDIT: There is also work camp.  I saw a position on a ranch.  All things provided in northern Colorado.  Work off the record for 20 hours a week.  There are also positions inside campgrounds that might appeal to you.

Edited by GregZ
  • Like 3

ITSMRBILL
Posted
Posted

roger that sir!...... I get it.... will check those boxes as needed. I figured as much so far converters live near govt. offices not in the boonies etc I'm on the same page!...THANKS GUYS FOR THE WORDS AND CAUTIONARY ADVISEMENTS I WILL WRITE ALL THIS STUFF DOWN AS SOON AS THE ROOM STOPPS SPINNIN LOL!

Classic Dry
Posted
Posted

I have to say you guys really are the best !!!

All great advice. Carefully thought about and very well considered.

Take a bow guys !!!  I take my hat off to you   :tiphat: and  :cheersty:

Regards to you all, 

Classic Dry.

• Like 2