The Cost Of The Philippine Dream

John Mogusar
Posted
Posted

Im like that to. My mind is so busy my body has no choice but to follow. My favorite thing is writing and playing guitar. I write three to four hours a day. I've written over 400 songs and plan on making at least 5 Cds. First one comes out in January. If any of you like you like country rock with a patriotic bit, let me know ill send you a copy. I was thinking I would love to fish in the Philippines. I would like to have a band and play some of the hotels. I want to join the VFW and do volunteer work in whatever school my son is at. So I don't plan on being bored. Im also a romance writer and want to get published in the Philippines. Can't wait to get there!

Sweet! You have an automatic *in* with the Filipinos. I avoided singing class starting in fourth grade by taking up violin. Didn't sing again until going to the Philippines almost 30 years later. Before heading to the Philippines, I read they would expect me to sing, because...after all, EVERYBODY sings! I practiced Wonderful World. Fortunately, it was a song they knew...In fact, nearly everyone in the Philippines probably knows more English songs spanning the decades than the average American.

They thought I had a good voice because I knew how to pronounce the English words well.  Haha, I fooled them! I've been singing up to three times a week locally and got my own karaoke setup at home now. I still suck, but not as bad and I'll passable in the Philippines now, lol.

After my first visit to the Philippines, one of the things that stuck out most was all the street children. I got to know most of the local street kids, as I would buy bread for them daily. When I returned to the U.S,, I ran some fundraiser volleyball tournaments and raised over $1000 USD with the intention of helping the street children. However, when I returned to the Philippines, I had difficulty locating a great place to donate. I decided to ask around in Cebu orphanages to see if they would take one child in return for the money (even though I was weary of that plan). They all wanted the money, but not the kid.

A friend had the idea of asking at the large Catholic church about programs they had to aid the street kids. To my surprise, they had NO such programs. I was stunned. I asked for suggestions where to donate. The reply was an even more stunning surprise..."DSW" (Department of Social Welfare). Wow, is there ANY doubt that this money would be instantly pocketed???

A couple weeks later, I was riding with some friends to a volleyball tournament in a nearby mountain region. One of them thought she may have seen a children's home. The next day, we made a special visit, and sure enough, it was.

Not only a children's home, but an AWESOME children's home. It was a spread of dozens of acres where they housed between 30-34 boys and girls that had been taken away from their parents for abuse and neglect. (I can't imagine what it takes to have a kid taken away in the Philippines!) They send them to public school, usually after a year of private tutoring, as most of them had not been attending school. They do most of the work--laundry, cleaning, some have special cooking duty. And they are taught daily living skills, as well as trade skills. They grow much of their own foods.

I donated the money and some clothes to them.

My experience with them was incredible. They treated the children extremely well, but with discipline. The kids were all initially emotionally disturbed, but they all fit in after a time and were one family. On subsequent visits, I brought a number of friends from my Barangay and we all played volleyball and ate with the kids. The meals were very simple, but good...better than I'd been used to eating from local cooking. I bought them a cheap karaoke unit, which they LOVED and got a lot of use out of.  

They had two house mothers (paid positions) and a number of volunteers who were successful businessmen. One great aspect of the home was family integration. The local community was active with the home and they would attempt to place the better-adjusted kids in families (this would usually take a number of years), while maintaining plenty of support.

I hope I can find a similar place in the Lipa City area, where I plan on living.

• Like 3

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

Great story! Wonderful thing being able to share with those less fortunate. Especially children! Keep up the good work and remember the seeds of kindness we plant today grow to the trees of kindness in the future. You may someday see more social programs and less greed and corruption. One these children could be the instrument of that change. My wife was shocked to see how much the poor have here compared to the Philippines. In fact she came to the conclusion that people in America are not poor at all. They can always get help if they choose to do so. She said in the Philippines if your hungry you stay hungry, if your homeless you stay homeless. She finally understood why I was shocked at the poverty level in the Philippines. I was giving all my money away but she stopped that and had me buy bread and donuts instead. I thick for me not doing something for them will be the hardest part about living in the Philippines. That's my wife's biggest concern as well. Speaking of singing, I used to go to the malls and sing for the Filipinos, the stores selling the majic sing would set everything up and I would sing and take request, I amazed at the numbers of people gathering to listen. The stores would invite me back and they would sell the systems while I was singing. I had so much fun! I Journey, Scorpions, Airsupply, Hall abd Oats, great memories!

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

Well afathertobe, when your little boy would rather play piano or read and explore biology, but you keep putting a wrench in his hands, because that was what you did or that is how you perceive his life should be, then you have robbed another human being of reaching his potential, his God given purpose in this life. I was a teacher in the Army for a couple of years. My students were those young men who for what ever reason lack direction. As I got to know each class I realized most never took the time to ask, what is it I'm interested in. What are my strengths. You see the world is full of those who have been told what to do and how to do it. But the people we remember, those we respect are those who follows their dreams. Thomas Edison, Mr. Rickover first Nuclear Sub. Johnny Cash, Ronald Regan. To name a few of my favorites. There is nothing wrong with making a living but there is something wrong with selling yourself short. Worse yet selling your children short. So as you embark upon your modeling career, look back, reflect on the years you did what you did to make a living, then ask yourself, if I could have done anything what would it have been. You see regret is the great equaliser, there is plenty for everyone. Dreams are the great liberators, but few are ever really free.

There is absolutely nothing wrong in having a degree in break things and kill people in case your dream doesn't pan out. :bash:

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

I re-read my post and no where did I say not to get a degree or have a plan, im sorry you misread my post. Most humans are driven to survive, succeed and will find away to do those things. Some may or may not go to college. Some prefer working through life other ways. My point has always been its never too late to dream and to persue those dreams. Would should teach our children not to give up on their dreams, and at the same time encouraging them to build upon their God given strength. Sounds like you may know from first hand what im talking about. Trust me my friend, its never too late. If some dreams are unrealistic at this point, others may still may be attainable.

robert k
Posted
Posted

CI re-read my post and no where did I say not to get a degree or have a plan, im sorry you misread my post. Most humans are driven to survive, succeed and will find away to do those things. Some may or may not go to college. Some prefer working through life other ways. My point has always been its never too late to dream and to persue those dreams. Would should teach our children not to give up on their dreams, and at the same time encouraging them to build upon their God given strength. Sounds like you may know from first hand what im talking about. Trust me my friend, its never too late. If some dreams are unrealistic at this point, others may still may be attainable.

Looks like you didn't get the gist of my post. Break things and kill people is hopefully some form of military but not always. I was speaking to your comment of being a teacher in the Army and your students lacking direction. As for me personally, l was medically discharged. I knew exactly what l was doing when l enlisted, l was 22 and already a successful automotive and diesel mechanic. I lost count of the times a superior would tell me that when they grow up they want to be just like me. :lol:  I could have fought the medical discharge but l had accomplished what l wanted to do and there is something to be said for quitting at the top of my game.

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

I can relate to that. Me too. I went into service because of economics. I grew up alot personally very fast. In fact I learned I had talents I would have never seen if It weren't for my service. Didn't really have any skills to speak of but worked hard my young life for my Father. It paid off. Great to talk to you and get to know you. Be Blessed!

John Mogusar
Posted
Posted

My wife was shocked to see how much the poor have here compared to the Philippines. In fact she came to the conclusion that people in America are not poor at all.

Exactly! I wish everyone in America could visit the Philippines and live among the common people there for one month. Maybe they would stop being so selfish and feeling so entitled to have what isn't theirs. I am be no means rich. In fact, I am borderline poverty according to our government. I want nothing to do with food stamps and welfare (although I did accept help for a three or four month bad stretch 20 years ago). Don't get me wrong...some people absolutely need them through no fault of their own.

But America is the only country in the world where people in poverty can have decent shelter, enough food, an Xbox, and a big screen TV...and then think they deserve MORE.

Being in the Philippines, especially getting to know many of the poor but good people, makes you really appreciate what you have.

John Mogusar
Posted
Posted

Speaking of singing, I used to go to the malls and sing for the Filipinos, the stores selling the majic sing would set everything up and I would sing and take request, I amazed at the numbers of people gathering to listen. The stores would invite me back and they would sell the systems while I was singing. I had so much fun! I Journey, Scorpions, Airsupply, Hall abd Oats, great memories!

I would love to be able to sing well.  When I get back to the Philippines, my one expensive purchase will be a nice karaoke rig and I'll host karaoke parties. It's the best way to meet people.

I'm a member of an Internet singing coaching site by Roger Burnley. He's got a great and affordable program, but I haven't had the time to invest. One of these days... I wanted to get lessons from Roger Love, but the cost is prohibitive. I have the problem where my swallowing muscles engage when I start singing higher-pitched. Then of course my voice strains and I lose it. In September, I had a full week where I experienced (on and off) the "correct" way to sing without my swallowing muscles engaging. I was able to sing Air Supply and Bruno Mars. Not very good...but I got in the pitch range and I sang for hours without straining my voice too badly. Well, that came to an end and I haven't come near that since. Oh, well, at least I know it's possible.

Singing is cheap entertainment, and moreso when you can entertain others in the process!

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

Dont need to be a great singer I'm sure your fine. Its about the fun and how it makes you feel. Dont be so hard on yourself, just practice to the songs you like and be yourself. I never said I was good! Just love to sing.

robert k
Posted
Posted

Dont need to be a great singer I'm sure your fine. Its about the fun and how it makes you feel. Dont be so hard on yourself, just practice to the songs you like and be yourself. I never said I was good! Just love to sing.

People have been killed in the Philippines for butchering the song "My Way", or so I've heard.