The Cost Of The Philippine Dream

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

My wife and two other Filipina friends of mine wanted to go to college. I told them I would take them to a community college in 30 days to take entry exams. I bought them books at a half price book store and they studied every day for thirty days. Math, english, comprehension, writing. I set up the appointments, took them in and the ladies giving the test was a little judgemental in her questions and attitudes. I picked up on it right away, but the F ilipinas were oblivious, to excited to be making progress in life. The F ilipinas all came from providence, Lapu-lapu Leyty. My wife with two years of college in Cebu. I had never met three people hungrier to learn and to somebody. Anyway, they took the 2 hour test and got the results right away. They all passed including the english. They could have started college then and there but they decided to get GEDs first. They wanted to be thier best. This was thier idea not mine. So they got the GEDs. Then they went community colleges. Two went on to become nurses at a very large hospital in Indiana. The other working on a degree in computer graphics. I said all this to say my main reason for coming to the Philippines, so that my son can be pushed and forced to compete in school like these ladies were in the Philippines. I have several friends who are teachers and they are totally upset with attitudes and influences the students bring into the class. A few students can ruin the education of many. These ladies even as children knew the hope of getting out of poverty was an education. Dont underestimate the will to survive or the will to be something or someone. I have a Filipino friend who is a electrical engineer for the VA hospital. He came from

• Like 1

tomaw
Posted
Posted

If we have kids they will be either American or have dual citizenship but their education and future will be in The US.

Ideally have two homes, one in the U.S. and one in The Philippines. The kids wold go to school in Th U.S. and spend summer vacation in The Philippines.

I can see where you are coming from but wonder about your children s Future, do you mean they will stay in the US after you Retire?

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

The children here in the states learn much more than they should at such a young age. Morality at an all time low. America no longer respected as a super power that produces great students and great leaders. Look at the education stats where do we fall in all categories of education. Im not saying Philippines is perfect, but I know competition to succeed is powerful. I have five children three attended DOD schools. They all excelled in school and life. Speaking more than one language. That in its self is worth 20 IQ points. It makes them more organized mentally and able to multi task. That translates to better students, better employees. A privately run international school in the Philippines is a much better value in every way. Most American children raised internationally gone on to some of the most prestigious schools in America. What we learn and how we learn in our young lives sets the standard or bar if you will, on how we learn and why we're learning in our older lives, high school, college etcetera. This information is easy to find just by research. There is even data that equates American and Filipino mixed children as being born with very IQs. My 4 year old could name all the planets and dinosaurs at two years. He was speaking full five word sentences at 2.5.He's 4 now and people think there talking to a 6 year old. I've l rd Arnold something else as well, folks underestimate the intelligence of Filipinos. They are survivors, dont let culture fool you.

• Like 4

MikeB
Posted
Posted

A privately run international school in the Philippines is a much better value in every way.

Thanks for sharing your personal experience. I have a 2 year old and I am struggling with where to raise him and doing the research as much as possible. I am not at all convinced that taking him to the US for education is the better way. It could be but not necessarily. There are plenty of career opportunities in Asia and SE Asia - HK, Singapore, China, etc. Speaking a little Mandarin wouldn't hurt.

All the reasons that I don't want to go back are pretty much the same reasons I don't want to take him. The big factor is, can you afford the better schools here; not best, better. I think we can all agree that, except for the National Science High School system,  the public schools in the Philippines are not an option.

What are DOD schools, Dept of Defense? 

• Like 3

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

A child raised in the Philippines in the right school will be much more socially intelligent and competitive. Children here are swallowed by a world that no longer values their uniqueness or the role they might play in the future of America. Some might think this is bs, but the cost associated with finding a private school is at an all time high. Parents know the public school system is failing as does the government. That's why they try charter schools and other types of experimental teaching tools. They are trying to get a Handle on all this. Now they have started a core initiative that dumbs down the standards in order to raise scores. The teachers unions don't want teachers held accountable for low scores. The Philippines even teaches a more accurate curriculum of American history than we do. If you want your child swallowed by the world to become anti social, lack basic skills to get jobs that don't exist, learn to text, play video games and take selfies before third grade then by all means here is the place to be. Sorry but I feel strongly about the future of our children and our country.

• Like 3

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

Sorry another thought. If those of us that have children of school age in Philippines, what's stopping us from getting involved with those schools in real way. After we supposedly have some of the best education going. We have lived, seen the world. What if came together and injected money, technology and support to these schools and teachers. Making sure they had the tools and resources to make our children competitive in the world. Kind of a Americano PTO. Everyone would benefit. We could have fund raisers as only Americans can have. Anyway just brain storming my thoughts on the matter.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

We are getting some good and realistic information in these latest posts but...... it does not matter How good a school is, a child will only get an education IF they actually go to school. I have just come back from the BOI after doing my mandatory 60 day Extension, Now if i don't do this I am overstaying and thus become an illegal alien, Am I right ( or wrong?) in thinking School is Mandatory? if it is then we have an awful lot of bad kids ( or Parents.) they either just don't go or go in the morning and spend the Afternoon Pi......g me off with carol singing? at my gate or letting off these infernal home made bazooka things. no Child Filipino or any other nationality is going to get an Education if they don't go to School. OH! I hear all the time as I know many here do, "The Kid didn't get a chance" We can all blame the System But.... the school is there, If the Child is not keen on it or the parents can't be Bothered well sorry "WHOS? fault is that?

If education is there for the taking and it is mandatory, fine the parents, Name and shame them as is the case in most countries.

No good keep blaming the System.

We as parents have a Duty to our Children but all I hear in my Barangay is, the school is Crap and such words.

Having said that, the kids that do go regularly stand a better chance of progression as the Class size could be about 50% reduced by non attendees.

To me, some sort of regulation of attendance by the DipEd might just help the public school system achieve a better name.

JMHO

'Can't read and write can't add up Should have to school then' ( it is really, that Simple) Or have I got my head up my backside again?

JP

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

Jack your right! Give a kid a fish or teach him to fish. School sytstem needs to be propped up by better rules and regulations. Enforcement is another problem. It wasn't that long ago the US had the same problems. Schooling was not important. You see its about poverty. Poverty and survival are the enemies of education. If you had a farm you couldn't afford to have a farm hand running off without doing chores. At one time children worked in mines, and other dangerous things to help feed and to provide clothing and shoes for the family. When the unions came along laws were passed to protect children. Schools and education found its way to the forefront of the American dream. In the Philippines you see all this happening just like it did in America. Our unions have run a muck, but then they saved our children. The Philippines needs a good.dose of unionization. Unfortunately corruption is the enemy of unionization. Those children sing Carroll's outside your gate because someone is hungry, someone needs shoes, someone needs medicine. Maybe Christmas carols will keep some young lady from a life of..... well you know. Most children would love to be in school, but letting down the family would be dishonorable. So they sing for a bowl of rice to give to a younger sibling.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Those children sing Carroll's outside your gate because someone is hungry, someone needs shoes, someone needs medicine. Maybe Christmas carols will keep some young lady from a life of..... well you know. Most children would love to be in school, but letting down the family would be dishonorable. So they sing for a bowl of rice to give to a younger sibling.

99% of the children who sing xmas carols outside my gate are not there because someone is hungry, need shoes, medicine and so forth...they're there to beg money for candy. And I made the rookie mistake of indulging them the first couple years and my generosity (and naivete) was rewarded by a never-ending stream of the same ones over and over and....so I committed to memory, "Ayaw pindota ang doorbell! Wala karon - balik sa Pasko. And when the big day comes I unplug the bell and ignore them. This has nothing to do with the so-called spirit of xmas, it's a scam. For the most part the ones who quit school do so because they're lazy, bored, and unmotivated. 

• Like 3

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

Jack I apologize I don't mean to imply your cold hearted. Your there and know much more than I about the culture. We can only hope and pray that the Philippines someday will realize they have thrown away thier greatest resources in the name of tourism. I hope somewhere in some classroom sits a young person who will change the direction of the Philippines by becoming the strong leader she needs. In the mean time I hope my fellow expatriates will be great roll models and continue to show compassion and joy to those less fortunate regardless of their motives. Last I checked 598,000 Americans in the Philippines. Thats alot of compassion.

• Like 1