The Cost Of The Philippine Dream

robert k
Posted
Posted

As for financing the dream, I see nothing wrong with the right invesment strategy. Widows and orphans stocks as JJ Reyes and others call them. If you are still young and earning or capable of still earning outside the market, you can be a little more agressive if you wish.

I would recommend not invest in anything because everybodys doing it. If you are not ahead of the crowd, you probably won't be the first to know when it's going to tank either.

I'm agnostic when it comes to gold which is always touted as a hedge against inflation. I am sure the poor suckers who bought gold near $1,700 per ounce feel a great deal of comfort today that they have a hedge against inflation that has lost 28% of it's value selling at $1,214 today. Gold will probably go back up, the question is will it be up if / when you need /desire to cash out?

Curley
Posted
Posted

One thing I discovered while talking to retired people and that was that at first they bought themselves some "toys" and went out or holidayed more but after the first few years their expenditure reduced quite substantially because they drank less, ate less and had less inclination to travel as they got older.

• Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted

As for financing the dream, I see nothing wrong with the right invesment strategy. Widows and orphans stocks as JJ Reyes and others call them. If you are still young and earning or capable of still earning outside the market, you can be a little more agressive if you wish.

I would recommend not invest in anything because everybodys doing it. If you are not ahead of the crowd, you probably won't be the first to know when it's going to tank either.

I'm agnostic when it comes to gold which is always touted as a hedge against inflation. I am sure the poor suckers who bought gold near $1,700 per ounce feel a great deal of comfort today that they have a hedge against inflation that has lost 28% of it's value selling at $1,214 today. Gold will probably go back up, the question is will it be up if / when you need /desire to cash out?

The gold price is fixed by a team of financiers not by supply and demand. I would never invest in it. Many years ago a good friend of mine did and he lost his Father's business because of it. In recent times my lawyer was telling me to invest and he laughed at me when it went to $2,000 an ounce, he never mentions it now.

Curley
Posted
Posted

if you cannot afford to lose it dont invest it, simple

If you don't invest then you lose out anyway. If it's your life savings then spreading your investment in unrelated banks at 3 or 4% or in rock solid widows and orphans funds is the safest way to go.

robert k
Posted
Posted

Pipeline companies, utilities and insurance companies generally show a profit and if they did not show a profit this year they will raise the rates next year to make up for it.

• Like 1

pokermike
Posted
Posted

I learn a lot on this forum , i have some extra money and was trying to actually come up with an idea on how to make money there.       i have laways had something on the side going on even while i am working but after all my visits there and talking with my wife and the advice from the forum members i now have decided no chance am i going to invest in anything.

I will be rolling over my 401k and selling my house then balancing out my investments to hopefully knock down 6% a year , and then use 4% percent to augment my budget. This should will keep my savings stable and i can live good for the rest of my life.

My wife agrees we dont need anymore money lets protect what we have and live well. By the way she passed her interview yesterday finally she is coming to me in the US

jpbago
Posted
Posted

if you cannot afford to lose it dont invest it, simple

If you don't invest then you lose out anyway. If it's your life savings then spreading your investment in unrelated banks at 3 or 4% or in rock solid widows and orphans funds is the safest way to go.

That is right. If you don't get at least 2%, you will lose out to inflation.

jpbago
Posted
Posted

One thing about gold here in the PI, you can buy gold jewelry for the going price of gold per gram with no mark up for the labour.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
One thing about gold here in the PI, you can buy gold jewelry for the going price of gold per gram with no mark up for the labour.

The gold standard, that gold which is traded on the markets that is, is actually 24 carats.  Gold bought and sold anywhere else as jewelry generally ranges from 9 to 18 carat depending on your budget, how tough/soft you want your jewelry to be;  24 carat gold jewelry does not last long at all.  So at best you're buying 75% gold if bought through jewelry.  

• Like 1

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
One thing about gold here in the PI, you can buy gold jewelry for the going price of gold per gram with no mark up for the labour

Unless things have changed since she lived there, my wife has always said that she prefers to purchase gold jewelry in Canada.  She's better assured of the actual gold content.