The Cost Of The Philippine Dream

jpbago
Posted
Posted

One thing about gold here in the PI, you can buy gold jewelry for the going price of gold per gram with no mark up for the labour

Unless things have changed since she lived there, my wife has always said that she prefers to purchase gold jewelry in Canada.  She's better assured of the actual gold content.

We got some 21carat made in Japan. They say that made in Saudi Arabia is good quality too.

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted

One thing about gold here in the PI, you can buy gold jewelry for the going price of gold per gram with no mark up for the labour.

The gold standard, that gold which is traded on the markets that is, is actually 24 carats.  Gold bought and sold anywhere else as jewelry generally ranges from 9 to 18 carat depending on your budget, how tough/soft you want your jewelry to be;  24 carat gold jewelry does not last long at all.  So at best you're buying 75% gold if bought through jewelry.  

When you buy a 21k gold chain weighing one ounce on January/14 for $1300 and sell it back to the same person in March/14 for $1500, you have made $200 in two months. Quite a good return.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

You can now buy the same kits as the moneylenders and gold buyers to assess the gold content of jewelry... I'd love to take one to a fancy jewelry store... :)

• Like 1

tomaw
Posted
Posted

I think The Philippines is a great place to retire. But a terrible place to invest or start a business in. If we have children I would only raise them there through pre-school and kindergarten. The schools and prospects for a decent job are very poor. My wife's a Filipina who will eventually be American. If we have kids they will be either American or have dual citizenship but their education and future will be in The US.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
If we have kids they will be either American or have dual citizenship but their education and future will be in The US.

I can see where you are coming from but wonder about your children s Future, do you mean they will stay in the US after you Retire?

robert k
Posted
Posted

Jack, if my future chiildren are as rotten as I was, packing them off straight away may be the best option. :thumbsup:

Not really, I wouldn't sleep well knowing I did that to an unsuspecting world. I would have to take my lumps and raise them myself. :1 (103):

• Like 3

UnCheckedOther
Posted
Posted

Robert, kids aren't rotten...they're just sweet to the point of being overripe. As for not sharing them with the world, haven't you heard that sharing is caring?

I actually lived in Cebu for a couple of years and attended elementary school there. Although I loved the experience, attending a Catholic school was useless since there were 2-3 periods devoted to Christian Living and the Bible. Though I did well on standardized tests, I received failing gradea for being a "diabolita" (asking my teacher if Catholics were cannibals because of the whole eating/drinking the body/blood of Christ" thing) and disrespectful (correcting my English teacher when she wrote "There are not the correct catsup to use for spagetti"). International schools are the better bet if you want your kids to have the best chances to be prepared and competitive for unis outside the country. On the other hand, though, I find that Filipino hs students are better prepared to do college-level maths (no remedial or pre-something classes). It's a balance. At the end of the day, the parents are a kid's first and perhaps most important teachers. Whatever is not learned at school can be taught at home. Either way, judging from the level of intellect I've seen in most forum members' posts, your kids will do well wherever they attend school...genes, baby!

• Like 4

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Just as an aside, I went to a Catholic boarding school, I used to tell the nuns on a regular basis "Nice dress".  My report cards were similar to yours Leilani  :cheersty:

• Like 3

jon1
Posted
Posted

You could also home school the kid here in the Philippines via online programs. A former coworker of mine did that with his teenage daughter from Florida.

• Like 3

tomaw
Posted
Posted

If we have kids they will be either American or have dual citizenship but their education and future will be in The US.

I can see where you are coming from but wonder about your children s Future, do you mean they will stay in the US after you Retire?

Ideally have homes in both The US and The Philippines. Spend school months in The US and vacation months in The Philippines.