The Cost Of The Philippine Dream

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted (edited)

Those children sing Carroll's outside your gate because someone is hungry, someone needs shoes, someone needs medicine. Maybe Christmas carols will keep some young lady from a life of..... well you know. Most children would love to be in school, but letting down the family would be dishonorable. So they sing for a bowl of rice to give to a younger sibling.

99% of the children who sing xmas carols outside my gate are not there because someone is hungry, need shoes, medicine and so forth...they're there to beg money for candy. And I made the rookie mistake of indulging them the first couple years and my generosity (and naivete) was rewarded by a never-ending stream of the same ones over and over. This has nothing to do with the so-called spirit of xmas, it's a scam. For the most part the ones who quit school do so because they're lazy, bored, and unmotivated. 

I have to agree with Mike, I was the same, but I only gave them some candy, at first it was only 2 or 3 children came to my door now it is 5 or 6 maybe 3 times night, news travels fast. I noticed at my local sari store they turn up there and the kind hearted lady owner gives them 5 pesos for about 6 children but she tells them to come just once a week.

Edited by frosty (chris)
  • Like 1

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

I understand, they probably sing for hours before they strike gold (peso). Two kind of givers they have come to know, those who think "oh look, Christmas carollers"! And those who think "oh my God"! Its those noisy-----Christmas carollers again"!!!! They've learned either way its pay day. I remember as a young lad, waking up to help my Grandfather Lorna O'Reilly milk the cows. I w oi uld pull and tug until I got the hang of it, but as well as grandad. But that wasn't why I did it, oh no! You see on the way back to the farm house in those wee hours just when the light cracked open the darkness, we would stop and pour cow juice into some old Ford hubcaps. Instantly! Cats and kittens would appear of every shape color and size. Tugging and pushing to nuzzle thier noses into one of 5 caps. It was amazing!! They only time you ever seen them all at once was then. I would watch until all the caps were bone dry then make my way back to the house wash up go back to bed and wait for the smell of bacon to lure me back up. I guess I see the kids kind of like those kittens. Seemed more and more came each month until a least a hundred would show. Grandad even added additional hub caps to keep up with demand. He said they served a purpose, keeping the barn and yard clean. Anyway I get it fellas just don't make it any easier, ya know?

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Thats alot of compassion

Hate to say it Word. But live here for a while and you might change a bit. The Philippines would knock the compassion out of Mother Teresa.

Being a "Kano" even if your not from America, you are just plain perceived as a target. The carolers only come once a year usually street kids from squatter (sorry I mean informal settlers) I wave them away and the wife tells them come back xmas eve. We give out pesos then.

I have walked around my area (daily exercise) and come upon a group of happy, smiling and healthy children playing and having a good time. As soon as they see me they all will put on one of those UNICEF faces you see on TV commercials, put out hand and rub their tummies. If I am sitting down in a near by park reading, kids and adults alike will by pass several Filipinos also sitting and head straight for me with a hand out. They know the Filipinos will tell them to take a walk but the "Kano" might be a soft touch and they always have LOTS of money. I could give example after example, story after story. You can try the ole trick that is used on beggars in the states and offer to buy them a meal, here they will say "YES", eat it then ask you for money. They will even expect you to feed them the next day. As mentioned above once the word gets out that you are an easy touch they will line up around the block :999: .

But....make the move, you won't regret it. its a great place to live, its just not the states. :cheersty:

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
...I have a bigger concern... with all that free time, how I will keep busy without spending all my money? And for sure, I will have to cut back on my visits to the bars there...

That is something everyone has to answer for themselves.  I know some expats that do so much volunteer work I get tired just hearing about it.  Others go to gym, and pools.  Some hang out in bars.  Everyone has to find their niche.  I enjoy doing nothing (and it is cheap)

My father used to tell me never retire... it is SO boring.  I knew it was boring for him but not for me.  I was supposed to work for a living.  Work gets in the way of life ha ha.

I do some volunteer work with my Rotary club.  But mostly I can lay in the hammock and watch the banana trees grow.  I love doing nothing.  I did nothing today, and did not quite finish so I am going to do nothing tomorrow too!  :tiphat:

• Like 4

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

Well fellas, the beautiful thing about these post on this subject is that it has struck a nerve. You see there's a reason Americans/ America is considered the most generous people in the world, those of you that have read these post whether you replied or not, have given a face to the generosity. I won't mention you all by name. There's a reason F ilipinas want to meet Americans so badly, were generous, kind, show apathy, empathy, and have the uncanny ability to walk in each others shoes. We are a great nation made up of folks that at one time needed a hand from someone. We don't forget those that help us. We have always paid it back or paid it forward. For some of us we recognize the opportunity to do just that by helping those around us. I've always been proud to be an American. you fellas. make me proud because I know whether you volunteer or do nothing, you can't help but type ouch the lives of those around you. You have made a difference to someone and only God know what fruit that will bear. So my hats off to you all, I look forward to joining your ranks this summer. Maybe find something to put our collective minds to that will let people know we were here on earth and the Philippines. P.S Did you know the largest POW rescue mission ever was accomplished by Philippine woman and children. Those rescued American soldiers. Read about it sometime. You know why? Because of our kindness and compassion and generosity.

robert k
Posted
Posted

I just give candy. I am going to send my children to school to be dentist. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

Thats how you plan for the future! Create a problem so you can fix a problem. Wait a minute that sounds too political!

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

Anyone know anything about Banawa Cebu. Thought i might try it to start. Been reading some good advice about not being too close to family.

robert k
Posted
Posted

Thats how you plan for the future! Create a problem so you can fix a problem. Wait a minute that sounds too political!

Someone has to support me and the old lady in our golden years. I just want to make sure they can afford it.

Just kidding. Really l want the kids to be able to support themselves so they don't have to live at home. :thumbsup:

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

Nothing wrong with any of those things.