The Cost Of The Philippine Dream

tomaw
Posted
Posted

Robert, kids aren't rotten...they're just sweet to the point of being overripe. As for not sharing them with the world, haven't you heard that sharing is caring?

I actually lived in Cebu for a couple of years and attended elementary school there. Although I loved the experience, attending a Catholic school was useless since there were 2-3 periods devoted to Christian Living and the Bible. Though I did well on standardized tests, I received failing gradea for being a "diabolita" (asking my teacher if Catholics were cannibals because of the whole eating/drinking the body/blood of Christ" thing) and disrespectful (correcting my English teacher when she wrote "There are not the correct catsup to use for spagetti"). International schools are the better bet if you want your kids to have the best chances to be prepared and competitive for unis outside the country. On the other hand, though, I find that Filipino hs students are better prepared to do college-level maths (no remedial or pre-something classes). It's a balance. At the end of the day, the parents are a kid's first and perhaps most important teachers. Whatever is not learned at school can be taught at home. Either way, judging from the level of intellect I've seen in most forum members' posts, your kids will do well wherefore they attend school...genes, baby!

Filipino students better prepared to do college level math? Not from everything I've read on two forums. The exception though is if your kid is smart enough or you ''connected'' enough to send your child to one of the Science High Schools. The kid will have to pass a difficult test to get in and keep up the grades to stay in.

tomaw
Posted
Posted (edited)

You could also home school the kid here in the Philippines via online programs. A former coworker of mine did that with his teenage daughter from Florida.

If you could get together with other parents doing the same thing and have the kids get together for study groups and social activities, this could be a good idea. Otherwise the kids that are just home schooled with no interaction with anybody but their parents will grow up with zero social skills not to mention a rather boring existence. Edited by tomaw

i am bob
Posted
Posted

You could also home school the kid here in the Philippines via online programs. A former coworker of mine did that with his teenage daughter from Florida.

If you could get together with other parents doing the same thing and have the kids get together for study groups and social activities, this could be a good idea. Otherwise the kids that are just home schooled with no interaction with anybody but their parents will grow up with zero social skills not to mention a rather boring existence.

Thus they are better off in a true school - they can get the social interaction, the schooling - and then, after they are home at night, the parents can do the schooling that is missed during the day.  

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

Or home schooling and enroll the kids in sports, classes in Escrima or whatever you want.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

The exception though is if your kid is smart enough or you ''connected'' enough to send your child to one of the Science High Schools. The kid will have to pass a difficult test to get in and keep up the grades to stay in.

My daughter is no way Connected other than to me but i have to agree on the Science Highs, my Princess is now in her third year at Dumaguete Science High. She fought well at Elementary to sit for the High. The Entrance exam was Tough, I read it and my Wife explored it in great detail.  Now in her 3rd year she is enjoying it . Two things are for sure,

1. Grades of 85% and above are the criteria to continue, She had 2 warnings of transfer to a Regular high. Hard work and Attendance are what is needed to gain and keep this level of grade.

2. The science High System makes it Enjoyable to be Schooled, it is not all work and no play, they have a Full 9.5 hour day but in the centre of the day they have good activities, Bands, Orchestras Sports, and  in depth English and film making Activities.

Many of us Knock the education system generally but here we have at least one System that works.

A great Pity to Split children from a culture they are 50% of and a mother who is 100% of just because we think a US or a UK in deed any other countries schooling is really any better, without exploring all the possibilities and just what is on Offer.

JP

• Like 4

Alby
Posted
Posted

When it comes to schooling I think it's more up to the person!

If the person doesn't want to learn then that person will not learn no matter how good the school and parents are!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I have heard many times that teenagers who attend traditional schooling are more likely to "act their age" than those who are homeschooled who tend to act more like responsible adults. I would rather have my children be socialized by people of all ages and not have them socialized by a bunch of peers their own age. IMHO most traditional schools provide the wrong type of socialization. Children in traditional schools have to deal with bully's, peer pressure, other children taunting them and making fun of them, zero tolerance policies in the USA, bright students get bored and and slower students can get left behind, etc. What is good about that type of socialization?

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

IMHO most traditional schools provide the wrong type of socialization. Children in traditional schools have to deal with bully's, peer pressure, other children taunting them and making fun of them,  

Well my friend, that is all part of growing Up.

You seem a well adjusted member and from what I read  of your postings your traditional schooling does seem to have dome you any harm at all.

Just my observations. :)

JP :tiphat:  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

IMHO most traditional schools provide the wrong type of socialization. Children in traditional schools have to deal with bully's, peer pressure, other children taunting them and making fun of them,  

Well my friend, that is all part of growing Up.

You seem a well adjusted member and from what I read  of your postings your traditional schooling does seem to have dome you any harm at all.

Just my observations. :)

JP :tiphat:  :thumbsup:

If I am well adjusted (others may differ on that conclusion) then it is in spite of a public education, not because of it.

And that public education was over 40 years ago. Public education has gone much further down hill since then. I am

of course speaking primarily of traditional education in the USA.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

If I am well adjusted (others may differ on that conclusion) then it is in spite of a public education, not because of it. And that public education was over 40 years ago. Public education has gone much further down hill since then. I am of course speaking primarily of traditional education in the USA.

Then My friend we should agree to disagree on this and leave it there, before it becomes like a lot of these lengthy Topics,  an Emotional   post-2148-0-83119800-1413522211_thumb.pn never ending roller-coasting roundabout

JP :)  :tiphat: