The Cost Of The Philippine Dream

stevewool
Posted
Posted

It is not always easy to Do but we should be looking at, is making the Dream Fit the money, not hoping the money will fit the Dream.

We all hope that our Perfect Dream will not be just a Pipe Dream.

For me it was always about  "living within your means" and  I think, this is where anyone should start.  Can I afford it.  NO? move on to a lesser Costing Dream. Research is the Answer.

Here Endeth the lesson  :rolleyes:

Amen to these words

• Like 4

Alby
Posted
Posted

How much you need and how much you have will decide where?

A billionaire would not even think of retiring in the Philippines had he not had a B? :)

The Philippines is cheap but for a reason ... or many :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Here in lies the secret.

We shall never know just how many return to base with shattered dreams.............a lot poorer..

• Like 4

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Here in lies the secret.

We shall never know just how many return to base with shattered dreams.............a lot poorer..

Indeed thats why we have to plan and plan again and always have that escape for the just in case,

• Like 1

tomaw
Posted
Posted

In the US (or whatever your home country is) we want to be like and learn from people that are successful not from people that tried and failed or didn't try at all. When it comes to expat forums like this people are willing to take advice from those that hate the Philippines but continue to live there. Learning from others mistakes and avoiding making the same mistakes I go,along with, but giving up completely due to someone else's failures makes no sense at all.

• Like 3

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Yes, they don't participate in forums, do they?

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Yes, they don't participate in forums, do they?

Maybe not but myself and for sure others have met many crying into their beer.

Only last week in Dumaguete while having lunch an ex pat started chatting. An hour later it all came out, his ill fated venture into a restaurant. Just needed an ear that was all. Same thing in Camiguin a while back, Swiss guy lost millions.....On and on it goes...

What amazes me is these are mostly  normal guys whom have been modestly successful back home. Would never invest a cent with out advice. They come here and blow it immediately.... Question is why....

Alby
Posted
Posted

In my circle of people, I advice people not to do any investment here. It's very a simple why.

No investment will prosper unless there a solid legal system under it.

The Philippines (and sorry to say the Filipinos themselves too) is just a cash cow for the few very corrupt people who don't give a hoot about laws.

So how on earth do you expect to succeed here? ... Unless if course you too are one of those corrupt people.

One should either create his own cocoon and retire or what the hell does he expect to gain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robert k
Posted
Posted

I think some people grossly underestimate the difficulty for a foreigner to run a small business in the Philippines. My ex talked about starting a restaurant. I said ok, I will buy you a food cart and you show that makes money, I will then buy you two more and you hire people to run the other two. If that makes money we can buy, rent or build a food shack. If that makes money, then we can think of a restaurant, assuming we didn't get too many death threats from the already existing restaurant [in Socorro, Mindoro Oriental] which served really bad food, but which managed to stay open somehow. Don't jump into anything that requires serious outlay, do alot of testing of the water first, unless you have the money to blow on a hobby business.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
I will buy you a food cart and you show that makes money, I will then buy you two more and you hire people to run the other two. If that makes money we can buy, rent or build a food shack. If that makes money, then we can think of a restaurant

and how did that go over with the spousal unit Robert? lol :tiphat: