The Cost Of The Philippine Dream

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

What amazes me is these are mostly  normal guys whom have been modestly successful back home. Would never invest a cent with out advice. They come here and blow it immediately.... Question is why....

It is all about Trust, Unfortunately as we hear and read so many times, there is no or very little trust, I can say, I have the most Trust worthy wife on the Forum, (I could be right today, Tomorrow?)

Only last week a pretty good Mate, Pal. ( I have very few actual friends here for this very reason) met me for a beer and told me his tail of Woe! His wife of 12 years just Upped and Stripped 4.5 million from the Bank, Put the house up for sale and shot off with another Foreigner (Go Figure) To start a Resort Somewhere, Now, because of the Laws in the PI, Many if not all things, revolve around ones wife.  We would think that after all the Heartaches of our Own counties and all the Advice we get and the Homework we do, we would have got it right, but where trust is concerned ? it is only as good as the relationship!........... Yes?  in his case, 12 years of building, lost in 12 seconds? but who knows? So. what can I say, 

It is all about something, there seems to be little of sometimes. TRUST 

JP :tiphat: ( Look no funnies, so it must be serious words from me today ) 

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)

I will buy you a food cart and you show that makes money, I will then buy you two more and you hire people to run the other two. If that makes money we can buy, rent or build a food shack. If that makes money, then we can think of a restaurant

and how did that go over with the spousal unit Robert? lol :tiphat:

It sounded like too much work. :thumbsup:

Edited by robert k

BluesDude
Posted
Posted

I think some people grossly underestimate the difficulty for a foreigner to run a small business in the Philippines. My ex talked about starting a restaurant. I said ok, I will buy you a food cart and you show that makes money, I will then buy you two more and you hire people to run the other two. If that makes money we can buy, rent or build a food shack. If that makes money, then we can think of a restaurant, assuming we didn't get too many death threats from the already existing restaurant [in Socorro, Mindoro Oriental] which served really bad food, but which managed to stay open somehow. Don't jump into anything that requires serious outlay, do alot of testing of the water first, unless you have the money to blow on a hobby business.

Brilliant.

davewe
Posted
Posted

In my circle of people, I advice people not to do any investment here. It's very a simple why.

No investment will prosper unless there a solid legal system under it.

The Philippines (and sorry to say the Filipinos themselves too) is just a cash cow for the few very corrupt people who don't give a hoot about laws.

So how on earth do you expect to succeed here? ... Unless if course you too are one of those corrupt people.

One should either create his own cocoon and retire or what the hell does he expect to gain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the difficulties (just just a PI thing) is that for many, the guy retires and now has a retirement fund (401k/IRA, nest egg, etc.). He is used to living paycheck to paycheck and building his retirement money. How to tell him (and his wife) that that fund has to last for the rest of his life. So in many cases the guy spends it or "invests" it - and often the results are poor. It's burning a hole in his pocket and he can't resist.

stevewool
Posted
Posted

if you cannot afford to lose it dont invest it, simple

• Like 1

Alby
Posted
Posted

Stevewool has said it.

If you are ok with losing the money then it don't matter. Invest it ... Ops! I meant lose it :)

RBM
Posted
Posted

What amazes me is these are mostly  normal guys whom have been modestly successful back home. Would never invest a cent with out advice. They come here and blow it immediately.... Question is why....

It is all about Trust, Unfortunately as we hear and read so many times, there is no or very little trust, I can say, I have the most Trust worthy wife on the Forum, (I could be right today, Tomorrow?)

Only last week a pretty good Mate, Pal. ( I have very few actual friends here for this very reason) met me for a beer and told me his tail of Woe! His wife of 12 years just Upped and Stripped 4.5 million from the Bank, Put the house up for sale and shot off with another Foreigner (Go Figure) To start a Resort Somewhere, Now, because of the Laws in the PI, Many if not all things, revolve around ones wife.  We would think that after all the Heartaches of our Own counties and all the Advice we get and the Homework we do, we would have got it right, but where trust is concerned ? it is only as good as the relationship!........... Yes?  in his case, 12 years of building, lost in 12 seconds? but who knows? So. what can I say, 

It is all about something, there seems to be little of sometimes. TRUST 

JP :tiphat: ( Look no funnies, so it must be serious words from me today )

Jack thats one reason why I try live by the unwritten law.......NEVER INVEST MORE THAN 35% of ones assets here. At least this way one can walk away bruised but not ruined....

My sympathies to this guy its really rotten.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

the unwritten law...

My Grand father used to say about Horse Race Betting. Never bet more than you can afford to lose. Seems to be a good motto to live with to me. 

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

Jack thats one reason why I try live by the unwritten law.......NEVER INVEST MORE THAN 35% of ones assets here. At least this way one can walk away bruised but not ruined....

My sympathies to this guy its really rotten.

I would not put even 35% of my capital in an investment in the Philippines. Losing 1/3 of your nestegg to me is not a bruise, it's losing a leg so you limp on a prosthetic for the rest of your life.

• Like 4

Alby
Posted
Posted

Hehehe ... I am cheap. I will never ever invest!

It would be like approving of what you are complaining about :)