The Cost Of The Philippine Dream

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

When we pay close attention to our children, we begin to see gifts they have. I remember my oldest son was consumed by archaeologist and what they did. After getting a degree in computer science he called me one day and told me he was going back to school. He decided he wanted a degree in archaeology. Now he uses computers and his degree in archaeology to make a good living.

I use to think it best to chase dollars, but now I think its best to do what you love and the money will follow.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

...I have a bigger concern... with all that free time, how I will keep busy without spending all my money? And for sure, I will have to cut back on my visits to the bars there...

That is something everyone has to answer for themselves.  I know some expats that do so much volunteer work I get tired just hearing about it.  Others go to gym, and pools.  Some hang out in bars.  Everyone has to find their niche.  I enjoy doing nothing (and it is cheap)

There are several hobbies, which can cost some to buy the equipment but cost (almost) nothing to use.  I prefer having - a lot  :)  - of such hobbies.

I don't understand how people can be bored by having no hobbies. I have more hobbies than I have time to do, so I can away some hobbies to them who don't have enoigh   :)     The last time I was bored was ONE day when I were around 10 years old and became bored just because I were eager to do a thing, but missed a part and the shop were closed   :)

• Like 2

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

Im like that to. My mind is so busy my body has no choice but to follow. My favorite thing is writing and playing guitar. I write three to four hours a day. I've written over 400 songs and plan on making at least 5 Cds. First one comes out in January. If any of you like you like country rock with a patriotic bit, let me know ill send you a copy. I was thinking I would love to fish in the Philippines. I would like to have a band and play some of the hotels. I want to join the VFW and do volunteer work in whatever school my son is at. So I don't plan on being bored. Im also a romance writer and want to get published in the Philippines. Can't wait to get there!

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Im like that to. My mind is so busy my body has no choice but to follow. My favorite thing is writing and playing guitar. I write three to four hours a day. I've written over 400 songs and plan on making at least 5 Cds. First one comes out in January. If any of you like you like country rock with a patriotic bit, let me know ill send you a copy. I was thinking I would love to fish in the Philippines. I would like to have a band and play some of the hotels. I want to join the VFW and do volunteer work in whatever school my son is at. So I don't plan on being bored. Im also a romance writer and want to get published in the Philippines. Can't wait to get there!

/A while ago I saw an add selling rather cheap land with fish ponds and a small house in the middle between the 4 ponds. With such you could sit at your veranda and fish   :dance:

/I'm not sure, but I believe you will get hard to get work permit to perform in hotels and such.   (PERHAPS ok by you play other types of music than Filipins do.)

/LOCK UP!  Volunteer work can need work permit !!!   :1 (103):

/But no problem with work permit for writing, I suppouse.  Hard for officials to know if you work with such in Philippines anyway  :)  Several expats do such and sell them e g through own websites and/or Amazon. Or write in blogs.

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

I wouldnt want to around ponds, too many mosquitoes. I was talking about ocean fishing in the bays or off a boat. Some of the best sport fishing in the Philippines. Watched a t.v show last month about it.

Do I need a work permit to play as a guest of hotel for free. I only want to work out songs live before recording in the studio there.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I wouldnt want to around ponds, too many mosquitoes. I was talking about ocean fishing in the bays or off a boat. Some of the best sport fishing in the Philippines. Watched a t.v show last month about it.

Do I need a work permit to play as a guest of hotel for free. I only want to work out songs live before recording in the studio there.

OK.

(Much biger risk to get mosquitos breed in ponds where there are NO fish, better have fish which EAT insects   :)

It's a stupid law. Even AID workers need work permit !!!  :1 (103):  

It ISN'T sure hotels bother/iknow, but even if they let you play it can be RISK for YOU. Perhaps officials van see that as a deportation reason...  :unsure:    Some have been  deported for less   :bash:

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

Guess I'll have to back to playing NCO , EM clubs for uso in S. Korea. I can rotate through there every three months or so. Its ashame about the Philippines though.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Words...if you just want to try out your songs to gage audience reaction that shouldn't be a problem here. Just set up an awning almost anywhere and play away. You will fit right in. Public singing is the national pastime here. Every weekend I walk around and see whole extended families set up under a tent with a karaoke machine. Often times right in the street. We also have small bars scattered around (with karaoke machines naturally). I would bet a large sum that after you get used to the area that you plan on living you will find several places that you can hunker down and strum away.

• Like 1

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

I think your right about that.. my wife had a great idea about putting a good band together of Filipinos and she could manage and book them. To make extra money. I could write the songs.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Well. Laws and implementation of them is often much different in Phils  :)

BUT when settling permanently it's extra risk to break laws when being foreigner, because of the risk to be deported too. SOME Filipins can tell the officials just because of jelousy  :(