Poverty And Some Effects Of It That We Do Not Perhaps Think About As Carefully As We Should.

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

The Philippines seems to be a nation with very distinct social borders separated by what I believe are 4 different approaches to tackling their own family's poverty. The hard way out (education, sacrifice, determination), the quick way out-Bar Girl, criminal activity, scammers, the OFW, and resignation and acceptance of a hard frugal life.

Nice groupings but I am not sure that I agree.

Families in the first class, who set out to better themselves through education, are rare; they are probably rare in all societies, across the world.

I doubt if anyone sets out in life to become a scammer, a criminal or a prostitute; I think that people find themselves adrift and grab what seems to be a "way out", without thinking things through. But I am no criminologist.

The gist of my original posting was that nobody accepts a hard frugal life; it is forced on them; they only accept it in the sense of not committing suicide. They are not heroically resigned to their lot; they hate it.

• Like 2

Classic Dry
Posted
Posted
Families in the first class, who set out to better themselves through education, are rare; they are probably rare in all societies, across the world.   I doubt if anyone sets out in life to become a scammer, a criminal or a prostitute; I think that people find themselves adrift and grab what seems to be a "way out", without thinking things through. But I am no criminologist.   The gist of my original posting was that nobody accepts a hard frugal life; it is forced on them; they only accept it in the sense of not committing suicide. They are not heroically resigned to their lot; they hate it.

Interesting, thought provoking and insightful Methersgate, from 1st post to last.

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted

The Philippines seems to be a nation with very distinct social borders separated by what I believe are 4 different approaches to tackling their own family's poverty. The hard way out (education, sacrifice, determination), the quick way out-Bar Girl, criminal activity, scammers, the OFW, and resignation and acceptance of a hard frugal life.

Hey Steve,

Wow, I'm nodding my head in total agreement with you.  It is quite apparent that your ideas and understanding

of the Philippines, is not in Kansas anymore.....he, he.

Well done, my friend -- Jake

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Nice groupings but I am not sure that I agree.

Families in the first class, who set out to better themselves through education, are rare; they are probably rare in all societies, across the world.

I doubt if anyone sets out in life to become a scammer, a criminal or a prostitute; I think that people find themselves adrift and grab what seems to be a "way out", without thinking things through. But I am no criminologist.

The gist of my original posting was that nobody accepts a hard frugal life; it is forced on them; they only accept it in the sense of not committing suicide. They are not heroically resigned to their lot; they hate it.

They are not heroically resigned to their lot; they hate it.

Good morning Andrew,

I'm on my 2nd cup of coffee and your statement above just slap me in the face, finally waking me up.  Such a profound

statement, especially coming from a trim and proper Englishman who have seen many faces of poverty throughout the

Far East region.  

Perhaps we could have a better understanding of poverty in general if we could focus on their early childhood.  What

it's like to be born starving and often times neglected?  What it's like to have no parents and you're living like a street

rat?  

My early childhood in the streets of Olongapo was OK, since my father was making US dollars as a new sailor in the US

Navy.  I had clothing, a home, brand new rubber shoes (flip flops) and no problems with nothing to eat.  Actually, most

of my classmates were doing OK -- I really don't remember any destitute looking kids in my elementary school.  I did not

even think it was unusual to see kids my age, swimming in a river just below the bridge, which was the main gate to the

naval base.  

I didn't realize it was their livelihood to beg for coins thrown from above.  Many drunken sailors would purposely toss the

piso coin away from the pretty ladies begging for coins.  And then the coin divers would try to retrieve those coins at the

bottom of Chit River.  They usually come up with the coin and a chit-eaten grin (literally).  One whiff of that river could

really sober up a drunken sailor.  

I wonder how their life was like?  Why can't they have a life like mine.  Do they have a choice or no choice at all?  And

finally, I saw kids (1990) in the streets of Batangas sniffing Rugby.  I ask Judy's cousin what was that all about?  He said

they're sniffing that surface adhesive (looks like yellowish camel snot) so they can reduce their hunger pain.  And of

course it's very addictive, not to mentioned they are already malnourished and their body and mind are being destroyed

from the inside.  

In the streets of India, Bangladesh and other Asian countries, the rat population eats better than the homeless kids with

no hope, no future and with no breakfast again.......

Respectfully -- Jake 

Edited by Jake
spil chek
  • Like 2

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted
bottom of Chit River
I forgot all about that river. I never realised anyone ever swam in it.

I said it once, and I will say it again, geography can be really cruel. I think that everytime I go into the Crit Care Peds ward at Soto, and see at least 4 really acute kids per bed, where if they could magically be beemed to Perth, they would have each have their own beds and the best care that money can buy....geography is a bitch!

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted
    Perhaps we could have a better understanding of poverty in general if we could focus on their early childhood.  What it's like to be born starving and often times neglected?  What it's like to have no parents and you're living like a street rat?     My early childhood in the streets of Olongapo was OK, since my father was making US dollars as a newly recruited sailor in the US Navy.  I had clothing, a home, brand new rubber shoes (flip flops) and no problems with nothing to eat.  Actually, most of my classmates were doing OK -- I really don't remember any destitute looking kids in my elementary school.  Additionally, I did not even think it was unusual to see kids my age, swimming in a river just below the bridge, which was the main gate to the naval base.     I didn't realize it was their livelihood to beg for coins thrown from above.  Many drunken sailors would purposely toss the piso coin away from the pretty ladies begging for coins.  And then the coin divers would try to retrieve those coins at the bottom of Chit River.  They usually come up with the coin and a chit-eaten grin (literally).  One whiff of that river could really sober up a drunken sailor.     I wonder how their life was like?  Why can't they have a life like mine.  Do they have a choice or no choice at all?  And finally, I saw kids (1990) in the streets of Batangas sniffing Rugby.  I ask Judy's cousin what was that all about?  He said they sniffing that surface adhesive (looks like camel snot) so they can reduce their hunger pain.  And of course it's very addictive, not to mentioned they are already malnourished and their body and mind are being destroyed from the inside.     In the streets of India, Bangladesh and other Asian countries, the rat population eats better than the homeless kids with no hope, no future and with no breakfast again.......   Respectfully -- Jake 

Thanks a lot, Jake. I really appreciate that.

I never saw the kids swimming for coins but I often walk over that bridge nowadays. That's a good description of the batang hamog ("children of the morning dew" - street kids) you have there.

I think you are right - we have to start with childhood.

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Perhaps we could have a better understanding of poverty in general if we could focus on their early childhood.  What it's like to be born starving and often times neglected?  What it's like to have no parents and you're living like a street rat?     My early childhood in the streets of Olongapo was OK, since my father was making US dollars as a newly recruited sailor in the US Navy.  I had clothing, a home, brand new rubber shoes (flip flops) and no problems with nothing to eat.  Actually, most of my classmates were doing OK -- I really don't remember any destitute looking kids in my elementary school.  Additionally, I did not even think it was unusual to see kids my age, swimming in a river just below the bridge, which was the main gate to the naval base.     I didn't realize it was their livelihood to beg for coins thrown from above.  Many drunken sailors would purposely toss the piso coin away from the pretty ladies begging for coins.  And then the coin divers would try to retrieve those coins at the bottom of Chit River.  They usually come up with the coin and a chit-eaten grin (literally).  One whiff of that river could really sober up a drunken sailor.     I wonder how their life was like?  Why can't they have a life like mine.  Do they have a choice or no choice at all?  And finally, I saw kids (1990) in the streets of Batangas sniffing Rugby.  I ask Judy's cousin what was that all about?  He said they sniffing that surface adhesive (looks like camel snot) so they can reduce their hunger pain.  And of course it's very addictive, not to mentioned they are already malnourished and their body and mind are being destroyed from the inside.     In the streets of India, Bangladesh and other Asian countries, the rat population eats better than the homeless kids with no hope, no future and with no breakfast again.......   Respectfully -- Jake 

I never saw the kids swimming for coins but I often walk over that bridge nowadays. That's a good description of the batang hamog ("children of the morning dew" - street kids) you have there.

I can't speak for other cities, but in Cebu it seems most of the shanty towns surround these large squares of asphalt about the size of a basketball court, which also doubles for a basketball court. Most of the street urchins wagging school, unemployed, and people just with nothing to do, just hang around these areas.

On a side note, the very ill also get pushed out into this area. These squares is where we most often pick up patients with TB.

• Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I can't speak for other cities, but in Cebu it seems most of the shanty towns surround these large squares of asphalt about the size of a basketball court, which also doubles for a basketball court. Most of the street urchins wagging school, unemployed, and people just with nothing to do, just hang around these areas.

On a side note, the very ill also get pushed out into this area. These squares is where we most often pick up patients with TB.

Every barangay must provide a basketball court. It's in the Constitution. That's why you always find them.

• Like 1

Miguk
Posted
Posted
It's not the same now.The poverty is actually worse than it was, because there are so many more people. There is greater pressure on everyone, and this bears down most of course on the poor.

Really?  I would be interested in a comparison to now versus the first time I was there in 1980.  There was dreadful, widespread, starvation-inducing poverty then.  Seems like a more prosperous place now.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
El Negrito
Posted
Posted

Do you guys think that sometimes we perhaps overdue the whole poverty stricken nation thing? I mean most of the Filipinos I know are pretty well off with better phones and such than me. Maybe a bit of balance is needed? Maybe we are starting to view ourselves as the "rich foreigner" that can save them? Just asking.

• Like 2