Poverty And Some Effects Of It That We Do Not Perhaps Think About As Carefully As We Should.

Ashanti
Posted
Posted
Families in the first class, who set out to better themselves through education, are rare; they are probably rare in all societies, across the world.

actually, this is not uncommon in PI

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
My stepson is a very lazy guy. Hes a good guy ( doesnt drink or smoke and very polite and shy} but will not go out and get a job. So finally we said if you don,t go out and get a job you can not live in this house. So he left. After about a month his mom was missing him too much and he is back
And in between he lived at some other relative and DIDN'T look for job (?)  :lol:

sjp52
Posted
Posted

My stepson is a very lazy guy. Hes a good guy ( doesnt drink or smoke and very polite and shy} but will not go out and get a job. So finally we said if you don,t go out and get a job you can not live in this house. So he left. After about a month his mom was missing him too much and he is back
And in between he lived at some other relative and DIDN'T look for job (?)  :lol:

Yes

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

Is his shyness perhaps the problem?

Or at any rate a part of the problem?

Filipinos are often acutely shy.

Edited by Methersgate

El Negrito
Posted
Posted

Families in the first class, who set out to better themselves through education, are rare; they are probably rare in all societies, across the world.

Pretty common in Mexico too. Actually most of the Filipinos I talk to show the mentality that higher education is a must there, that is the same mentality in Mexico. On a side note I highly disagree with that. While I do have some college and university education I never went in pursuit of degrees or anything, just got what I needed for the moment and that's it. For many years, at least 12 or 13 I did just fine on high school.

Most of my friends with degrees either didn't have jobs or ended up working with me doing the same job for the same pay but with massive school loan debt. Personally I think university is a scam, community college or vocational schools are a nice balance of education and giving you what you need for real life.

• Like 1

Jumper0155
Posted
Posted
Personally I think university is a scam, community college or vocational schools are a nice balance of education and giving you what you need for real life.

I have to agree on this one.  The price of an education just keeps going up and up and typical salaries that I'm seeing that recent graduates are earning are not enough to justify the debt.  Be society has almost made having a degree a requirement nowadays.  In my opinion former military members (veterans) would be whom I would rather have as my coworkers since I think the military experience is far greater than that of just having attended college.

• Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

In the Philippines, there are additional factors. 

Many of the higher education institutions teach very badly indeed, The local term is "degree mills". Their staff are badly paid and they are emphatically run "for profit".

I won't name names.

Many Filipinos start higher education, and fali to complete their course.

There is a national vocational education system - TESDA.: http://www.tesda.gov.ph/

• Like 3

El Negrito
Posted
Posted
Be society has almost made having a degree a requirement nowadays.

Here in Mexico a lot of kids go get a degree in anything just to say they have one and then if they find a job they end up doing one not even associated with it. Most jobs don't even require a degree here but society makes you think they do. Even if they do require a degree it all depends on the need. Some English schools will hire a foreigner with no degree just because he is a native speaker and a Mexican they will hire with a degree even if its a degree in culinary arts.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Pretty common in Mexico too. Actually most of the Filipinos I talk to show the mentality that higher education is a must there, that is the same mentality in Mexico. On a side note I highly disagree with that. While I do have some college and university education I never went in pursuit of degrees or anything, just got what I needed for the moment and that's it. For many years, at least 12 or 13 I did just fine on high school.

Most of my friends with degrees either didn't have jobs or ended up working with me doing the same job for the same pay but with massive school loan debt. Personally I think university is a scam, community college or vocational schools are a nice balance of education and giving you what you need for real life.

Me too in general. Knowledge is GOOD, but why spend years in College/University when/if the education is bad...  :)

BUT in Phils it's so crazy many companies demands post High School exams to employ even for factory jobs and such!!!

But for my future kids, I plan to solve it by own business, in the "family business" or assist them start small own, if they don't want to have parents as boss  :)    or if the family business don't have any tasks suiting their personality or goals. 

((But it's a problem, because I expect my kids to become clever   :mocking:   and want "thinking jobs". In the main part of my business ideas, almost all jobs are "workers" work as factory production, guard and some days transports, only selling to manufacturers/traders/export. A few need a sale organisation. One need only intellectuals BUT that's the easiest one to copy by Filipins, which make me less interested.  Well. They can TRY to copy  :)  but even if they mess up their own businesses, it will be some bad for mny business too  :unsure:

• Like 1

El Negrito
Posted
Posted
But for my future kids, I plan to solve it by own business, in the "family business" or assist them start small own,

This is a much better solution than college.