Poverty And Some Effects Of It That We Do Not Perhaps Think About As Carefully As We Should.

jpbago
Posted
Posted
Filipinos are often acutely shy.

You must mean the women. The men pull their pants down and piss everywhere.

• Like 2

El Negrito
Posted
Posted

Ewwww and here in Mexico I have seen women from the rural areas do the same or allow their kids to do so.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Ewwww and here in Mexico I have seen women from the rural areas do the same or allow their kids to do so.

Well big EL your transition into Filipino life is not  going to be as hard as you may have even Thought! if you can already understand this, :thumbsup:

Many Provincial Homes Do not have enclosed CR's / Rest Rooms It is just do it where you can or is that, where you want. When I first came here in 1997 I was Astounded, The Tricycle taking me to my then GF's house made a stop at the side of the road, What's happening I said, to Azon, Ma In front, wants to Urinate, :rolleyes:  he he You mean Pee? Yes she said. OK, so The lady in her  early 30's if I remember, just Dropped her Shorts and panties and Walla  Instant relief on her face. Up came the panties and Shorts and Off we went, absolutely no embarrassment at all ( Ahem, apart from me, that is) of course Men do it whenever the need takes them Wherever they are, Town of Barangay 

After all these years now, It is second nature to even walk the Dogs and see a lady/child/ sometimes even a Teenager get took Short. It is the Filipino way. I never give a thought now. it is the way life is here, Especially in the Provinces.

Having said that, apart from Malls and Bars etc, you will be pushed to Find Public CR's( WC's) so you may even see this in small streets and alleyways in City's and Towns.  :unsure:

EL, this you will soon see, we are Getting close to your 6 months.  :)

How is the saving going?

JP :tiphat:

El Negrito
Posted
Posted
Well big EL your transition into Filipino life is not  going to be as hard as you may have even Thought! if you can already understand this,

I have seen people pissing in the streets of Canada so I think this is universal and this is in well developed cities. Funny in Ukraine they had public WCs even rural areas, more like an out house.

EL, this you will soon see, we are Getting close to your 6 months.  How is the saving going?

Saving away! I think it will be more like a year though.  :)

robert k
Posted
Posted

Then too if you are in a rural area, a tree may be much more appealing than a public cr. I believe it was JJ Reyes who said ladies carry the unbrella as sunshade and modesty partition if they have to go on the street, makes sense to me.

El Negrito
Posted
Posted

Then too if you are in a rural area, a tree may be much more appealing than a public cr. I believe it was JJ Reyes who said ladies carry the unbrella as sunshade and modesty partition if they have to go on the street, makes sense to me.

In rural or semi-rural areas I totally understand. Not on a city street. In any event there are usually places to conceal ones self.

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted (edited)

Andrew, very nice reading on this subject. Indeed very in depth analogy as to the mind set of the poor-especially what I see- as poor folks- doing all they can to maintain what dignity they can gather. I have an American friend in Negros who submits a paper personally to the Baranguay captain on his observations of improvements in his area. Attached to the back are two p1000 bills. He submits it once a month. The paper is not important, of course, but the bills discreetly attached to the back is in fact very important. Nobody says thanks-nobody knows what happens to the money-but it's like a code. His wife's family who are very poor occasionally will have someone check on them and discreetly drop off some baboy, manuk, and some rice and ask if they need anything from Mercury Drug.

It's quiet-it's simple-and it's maintaining dignity by not advertising your generosity and I think that in itself shows some respect. It goes a long way.

Edited by Hey Steve
  • Like 4

El Negrito
Posted
Posted
Attached to the back are two p1000 bills. He submits it once a month.

Wow Steve, kudos to your friend. I am usually the skeptic regarding such actions but that moved me. I do however wonder if his money is reaching the intended targets? Or maybe his target is the captain unless I am misunderstanding.

His wife's family who are very poor occasionally will have someone check on them and discreetly drop off some baboy, manuk, and some rice and ask if they need anything from Mercury Drug.

Now this is more my style. Drop off some practical goods to help. It really shows if they are in need. On one of my first trips to Mexico a kid came begging for money and I was with my girlfriend/later wife. I was use to people begging and I rarely give money, but this kid was cute and seemed hungry so I gave him my food which I had just purchased and hadn't eaten. What happened? He scowled at me and threw it on the ground,

By contrast I have done the same for others and they thanked me very much for the food. Funny world huh?

• Like 4

Thomas
Posted
Posted

But for my future kids, I plan to solve it by own business, in the "family business" or assist them start small own,

This is a much better solution than college.

Yes, IF I/wife/kids manage to earn enough by it   :)

College/University educations cost much totaly anyway, which aren't sure giving any jobs at all. If put same amount to business investments, they at least give work a while...   :)

• Like 1

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

Attached to the back are two p1000 bills. He submits it once a month.

Wow Steve, kudos to your friend. I am usually the skeptic regarding such actions but that moved me. I do however wonder if his money is reaching the intended targets? Or maybe his target is the captain unless I am misunderstanding.

His wife's family who are very poor occasionally will have someone check on them and discreetly drop off some baboy, manuk, and some rice and ask if they need anything from Mercury Drug.

Now this is more my style. Drop off some practical goods to help. It really shows if they are in need. On one of my first trips to Mexico a kid came begging for money and I was with my girlfriend/later wife. I was use to people begging and I rarely give money, but this kid was cute and seemed hungry so I gave him my food which I had just purchased and hadn't eaten. What happened? He scowled at me and threw it on the ground,

By contrast I have done the same for others and they thanked me very much for the food. Funny world huh?

I guess, whever the money goes..who knows? But it's simiar to the laws of physics. For every action there is an equal (or similar) reaction. Giving disceetly sometimes is a way of saving the person honor in as much that others do not see the handout. It can go a long way when both the giver and reciever know that's the intention.

• Like 3