Poverty And Some Effects Of It That We Do Not Perhaps Think About As Carefully As We Should.

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Andrew, very nice reading on this subject. Indeed very in depth analogy as to the mind set of the poor-especially what I see- as poor folks- doing all they can to maintain what dignity they can gather. I have an American friend in Negros who submits a paper personally to the Baranguay captain on his observations of improvements in his area. Attached to the back are two p1000 bills. He submits it once a month. The paper is not important, of course, but the bills discreetly attached to the back is in fact very important. Nobody says thanks-nobody knows what happens to the money-but it's like a code. His wife's family who are very poor occasionally will have someone check on them and discreetly drop off some baboy, manuk, and some rice and ask if they need anything from Mercury Drug.

It's quiet-it's simple-and it's maintaining dignity by not advertising your generosity and I think that in itself shows some respect. It goes a long way.

Thank you, Steve.

I think your friend in Negros is showing a very good understanding of the world that he has chosen to move into. Indeed, I am going to copy that idea myself if I move back.

Incidentally, nobody ever says "thank you" - at least, not in my experience - for the reasons given in my post - they assume that God has been good to you and you should share your undeserved good fortune with them.

Attached to the back are two p1000 bills. He submits it once a month.

Wow Steve, kudos to your friend. I am usually the skeptic regarding such actions but that moved me. I do however wonder if his money is reaching the intended targets? Or maybe his target is the captain unless I am misunderstanding.

His wife's family who are very poor occasionally will have someone check on them and discreetly drop off some baboy, manuk, and some rice and ask if they need anything from Mercury Drug.

Now this is more my style. Drop off some practical goods to help. It really shows if they are in need. On one of my first trips to Mexico a kid came begging for money and I was with my girlfriend/later wife. I was use to people begging and I rarely give money, but this kid was cute and seemed hungry so I gave him my food which I had just purchased and hadn't eaten. What happened? He scowled at me and threw it on the ground,

By contrast I have done the same for others and they thanked me very much for the food. Funny world huh?

I guess, whever the money goes..who knows? But it's simiar to the laws of physics. For every action there is an equal (or similar) reaction. Giving disceetly sometimes is a way of saving the person honor in as much that others do not see the handout. It can go a long way when both the giver and reciever know that's the intention.

Exactly

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
Most of my friends with degrees either didn't have jobs or ended up working with me doing the same job for the same pay but with massive school loan debt. Personally I think university is a scam, community college or vocational schools are a nice balance of education and giving you what you need for real life.

Survey says:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/education/guess-which-degrees-practically-guarantee-a-job-and-a-big-salary/article20347971/

El Negrito
Posted
Posted
Yes, IF I/wife/kids manage to earn enough by it     College/University educations cost much totaly anyway, which aren't sure giving any jobs at all. If put same amount to business investments, they at least give work a while...  

Totally agree. I have had so many friends waste so much time and money and come away broke or worse.

El Negrito
Posted
Posted

Well this is just one survey and it doesn't talk about the massive amounts of debt that these educations incur. One thing that comes to mind is the nursing field. I notice this is by the Globe and Mail so I am guessing a Canadian study and in Canada a nursing degree is a 4 year university degree, they did away with the 2 year college degrees years ago. The US still has the 2 year college degrees.

I have worked for years in an ER with both college and university educated nurses and the college ones are actually much better in my opinion. The university ones have a lot of head knowledge but in real life medicine I would choose a college educated one or a college educated one who went back and got a university degree later hands down. Also the college educated ones have far less debt and even if they go and get a university degree later they are able to do it much cheaper because they get credit for their work and life's experience.

I still say for the most part university is an unnecessary waste. However if you want to be a doctor or lawyer it is a must but doesn't guarantee success, a job yes maybe but success as in loans paid off and living the dream life, naaaw.

I still point to some of the richest people in the world who never even finished high-school. 

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Well this is just one survey and it doesn't talk about the massive amounts of debt that these educations incur. 

Also the college educated ones have far less debt and even if they go and get a university degree later they are able to do it much cheaper because they get credit for their work and life's experience.

I still say for the most part university is an unnecessary waste. However if you want to be a doctor or lawyer it is a must but doesn't guarantee success, a job yes maybe but success as in loans paid off and living the dream life, naaaw.

I still point to some of the richest people in the world who never even finished high-school. 

FICO, a financial services consulting company, says that in 2012, the average U.S. grad’s student loan debt was $27,253 (about the same as in Canada) 

With nearly a 100% employment rate, and earning on average $42,600/year after 6 months and up to $100,000 in 2 years, I don't see student loans to be a deterrent.

sjp52
Posted
Posted

Is his shyness perhaps the problem?

Or at any rate a part of the problem?

Filipinos are often acutely shy.

It could be partly

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

Is his shyness perhaps the problem?

Or at any rate a part of the problem?

Filipinos are often acutely shy.

It could be partly

I can sympathise with him. I was a shy youth.

A bit of shyness, plus the usual Filipino need for a "friend" to help him get a job, plus a bit of laziness, will add up to an insurmountable barrier.

Is there anyone whom you can ask to take him on, even unpaid, for a while? Just to break the ice, so to speak, so he can gain a little self confidence and say he has been working when he applies for the first real job?

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 3

Coffeehound
Posted
Posted

Then too if you are in a rural area, a tree may be much more appealing than a public cr. I believe it was JJ Reyes who said ladies carry the unbrella as sunshade and modesty partition if they have to go on the street, makes sense to me.

In rural or semi-rural areas I totally understand. Not on a city street. In any event there are usually places to conceal ones self.

For years I've kept a little receipt stub in my wallet for a pay potty in Manila. It reminds me no matter how bad things seem, somebody else has got it tougher...

• Like 2

El Negrito
Posted
Posted

My son is laughing all the way to the bank; he chose to go to sea and he is just finishing the first sea phase of his deck cadetship which in the UK is three years - college/sea time/college/sea time/college/exam/first job. Unlike his friends at university, he does not run up debt; he gets paid! He has just now gone ashore in Santos, Brazil. Getting paid to see the world beats backpacking...

Awesome! Sounds like a great program and much more reasonable alternative than many other 4 year university programs  which seem to have far less practical benefit. I wish more parents and children choose such alternatives.

• Like 1