The Filipina And Her Man

Jake
Posted
Posted

That would be under a different topic..."The Bakla and His Man".

Would Bakla mean mistress or something even worse?

In Mexico -- puto (gay men)......

El Negrito
Posted
Posted
In Mexico -- puto (gay men)......

No that is more like...the f-word and there is another like that too. Gay men would be mariposas, marricon,  and a few others.

• Like 1

Julia
Posted
Posted

:mocking:

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Seeing "mariposa" for "bakla" reminded me that, in Hong Kong, a "butterfly" was a man who was not steadfast but who played the field.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Seeing "mariposa" for "bakla" reminded me that, in Hong Kong, a "butterfly" was a man who was not steadfast but who played the field.

I once gave a training lecture to my young and naive sailors prior to their very first port visit to Olongapo.

1.  Defamation of character -- do not call a Filipina who is obviously involve in prostitution, a prostitute

You will land in the city jail and miss your ship's departure (missing ship's movement).  

2.  Do not fall in love but you can fall in lust.....he, he.

3.  Do not butterfly -- going from one flower to another.  They get extremely jealous and some of them

have a bladed weapon

Only one sailor failed to heed my warning -- he fell madly in love and wanted to marry her.  I disapproved

his request to marry (against 7th fleet regulations anyway) but arranged (out of my pocket) another date

of different Filipina, which made him stop crying about his lost love.  

Another happy camper.......a sailor with a few flowers

Edited by Jake
spil chek
  • Like 2

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yes, Jake...the Nocturnal butterfly(noun)... usually found in flower gardens located primarily near many South East Asian ports-not indiginous to the area; rather carried by the tradewinds or on vessels originating from the US, Canada, Austrailia, and parts of Europe. Known to breed quickly and aggressively and disappear to parts unknown similar to that of a locust swarm. Certain subspecies however have been known to mate for life and end up joining forums.

Jake, I hope your subordinate settled landed on his feet-and who knows-he may actually be somewhere on these forums-Great story!!

(I edited the definition for slightly better accuracy) :cheersty:  cheers!

Edited by Hey Steve
  • Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Excellent advice, Jake, and brilliant comment by Steve!

Merchant navy advice is slightly different:

1. Pay for each round in cash.

2. Stick to beer and be sure you see her open the bottle in front of you.

3. The prettiest girl will give you a dose.

4. Never take the cab that is waiting outside; walk a block and hail one.

Now, I am reminded of some more advice. We had an Australian second engineer, of whom it could be said that his balls were connected to his brain by a 120 amp cable. We were going ashore in Singapore. We EXPLAINED to him that in Bugis Street what you see is NOT what you get. This advice did not penetrate his skull, because he disappeared in one of the bars, then there was a yell and a crash and he reappeared at the run, yelling "We had better get out of here!" (We did - at speed!) 

• Like 3

El Negrito
Posted
Posted

Kind of reminds me of social butterfly.

Americano
Posted
Posted

The term butterfly has been used for many years. Vietnamese women would call some American GI's butterfly in the early 1970's when I was there.

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Following my post earlier about the friend who is the ex-girlfriend of an old expat friend of mine...

As I mentioned she is a real estate broker, as is her "replacement"...

She called me today to say she is pretty sure she is actually being stalked by the present girlfriend, who rang her, pretending to be a client, using a pay as you go sim card, asking to view five particular houses, but would not give an address or an email and who was clearly disguising her voice...not once, but several times!

She also got a weird  phone call from a foreigner asking to view warehouses - on thirty minutes notice - the foreign man was having trouble restraining his giggles, so he had obviously been put up to it.

The thing is, of course, that my old friend DOES carry a candle for her - but is too much of a pukka sahib to do anything about it.

"Bunny boiling"  follows shortly!  

• Like 2