Where Do You Think The Rp Stands

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Ok its been touched on in other threads but where do you see the Phils ?

3rd world  or a emerging 2nd world county or just a few years to 1st world .

third_world_map.jpg

Did anyone notice that First World countries are white people and most speak English?  There's a reason for this that I'm sure most for you don't want to mention or admit.

Japan and South Korea are, rightly, coloured green, as Taiwan should be (it is, incorrectly, red) and I am not at all sure that Anatolian peasants in Turkey are the same sort of people as Norwegians, Canadians or Japanese - they should be another colour.

• Like 3

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

South Korea only became a 1st World country due to the USA.  Without the help of the USA they would be very poor just like North Korea.

Some black leaders say that Africans are the oldest race of people dating back thousands of years which may be true but there's a black preacher in the USA who is not afraid to tell the truth.  He says after all these thousands of years Africans have not been able to make one ship that can travel on the ocean. All they can make is a canoe that only travels down a river.  Evidently they do not have the intelligence and creative minds to build a large ship or to invent anything. That's why they are a 3rd World country.  They have plenty of natural resources so its not the country's fault that they are poor its the people's fault.

Edited by Americano
  • Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

The PI's are certainly a 3rd world country right now - and for the foreseeable future will remain one.  They have only one export - OFW's.  They don't really produce anything.  They can't build an infrastructure to support stagnation...how will they support growth?   :tiphat:

• Like 3

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

One would like to think that public outrage at corruption would cause some changes.

Sadly, this seems most unlikely to happen. 

See here, in today's Rappler:

http://www.rappler.com/newsbreak/investigative/69161-lord-makati-binay-explain-wealth

The poor will still vote for their "benefactors" regardless of how corrupt they are.

Edited by Methersgate

John Mogusar
Posted
Posted

I was going to share a corruption story about a high local official, but I thought the better of it since my real name is attached! I had several Filipino friends warn me about the police in the city I was in ("they are not your friends!") and tell me interesting stories about the mayor, who has been in power since 1973 and was a good personal friend of Ferdinand Marcus.

In my nearly three-year stay, I only saw the local police out and about two or three times. This was aside from directing traffic.

One comic scene I witnessed: An officer was posted on a one-way street next to the local mall. There is always a sign in the middle of the street that states "DO NOT ENTER: ONE WAY STREET." But Filipinos always drive their motorcycles and tricycles and pedicabs down that street the wrong way. He stood next to the sign and physically stopped drivers from heading down the street the wrong way. When he took a smoke break, he leaned up against the sign and glared at Filipinos passing him going the wrong way, not caring that the officer was there.

• Like 2

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

I can say that in viewing the map and seeing the choices given there in red, with our without my asawa, I would choose the Philippines hands down simple by the way they in general view the Westerners which for the most part is friendly. The ability to communicate in English has a lot to do with it for me. I would also have to say that issues that plague the Philippines-in a lot of ways-are much more extreme in most of these other countries regarding issues that come with being a 3rd world country.

John, speaking of signs, I believe sometimes you have to read into it a little more to get the jist. Like at a gated subdivision I saw..the sign at the closed gate read "Entrance only-Do Not Enter".

• Like 2

Americano
Posted
Posted

One would like to think that public outrage at corruption would cause some changes.

Sadly, this seems most unlikely to happen. 

See here, in today's Rappler:

http://www.rappler.com/newsbreak/investigative/69161-lord-makati-binay-explain-wealth

The poor will still vote for their "benefactors" regardless of how corrupt they are.

Most people vote by name recognition not by who would be the best for the nation.  Therefore the politician criminals who are always in the news and have been for many years get most of the votes.

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

I was going to share a corruption story about a high local official, but I thought the better of it since my real name is attached! I had several Filipino friends warn me about the police in the city I was in ("they are not your friends!") and tell me interesting stories about the mayor, who has been in power since 1973 and was a good personal friend of Ferdinand Marcus.

In my nearly three-year stay, I only saw the local police out and about two or three times. This was aside from directing traffic.

One comic scene I witnessed: An officer was posted on a one-way street next to the local mall. There is always a sign in the middle of the street that states "DO NOT ENTER: ONE WAY STREET." But Filipinos always drive their motorcycles and tricycles and pedicabs down that street the wrong way. He stood next to the sign and physically stopped drivers from heading down the street the wrong way. When he took a smoke break, he leaned up against the sign and glared at Filipinos passing him going the wrong way, not caring that the officer was there.

The story you shared with us above is the reason bus only lanes will not work in the Philippines and one of the reasons that the Philippines will remain a 3rd World country for a very long time. I don't expect to see it raise to even a 2nd World country in my life time.  Corruption from the top of the government to the bottom of society and its acceptance, greed and ignorance keeps the Philippines from advancing in the world.  And, as many rightly say, you can't change it.

Edited by Americano
  • Like 2

Curley
Posted
Posted (edited)

Very true, especially when that official buys the votes of the very poorest. Just imagine the returns if you "invested" relatively small amounts of money with each poor family with several children old enough to vote.

Just look at what Thaksin did in Thailand, promised the rural poor rice farmers a highly subsidised guaranteed price for their rice no matter the quality. Thailand now has millions of tons of rice in storage that is rotting and for which the government paid more than the price to buy on the world market. Of course added to that are the connected large land owners/politicians who "sold" the government rice that they never had.

Edited by Curley
  • Like 2

John Mogusar
Posted
Posted (edited)

Very true, especially when that official buys the votes of the very poorest. Just imagine the returns if you "invested" relatively small amounts of money with each poor family with several children old enough to vote.

From Wikipedia:

"In 2007, (Joseph) Estrada was sentenced by the special division of the Sandiganbayan to reclusión perpetua for the plunder of stealing $80 million from the government and was sentenced a lifetime in prison, but was later granted pardon by President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo. He ran for president again in the 2010 presidential election, but placed second behind Senator Benigno Aquino III."

Despite stealing more money from the government (and thus the people) than most Filipinos make in one thousand lifetimes (literally), Joseph Estrada still received much of the poorest citizens' votes because he was perceived to have helped them.

Edited by MikeB
removed embedded links