Where Do You Think The Rp Stands

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

As an aside, my brother in law calls elections season, "new wardrobe month" cuase everyone gets new t-shirts :hystery:

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

One would like to think that public outrage at corruption would cause some changes.

Sadly, this seems most unlikely to happen. 

See here, in today's Rappler:http://www.rappler.com/newsbreak/investigative/69161-lord-makati-binay-explain-wealth

The poor will still vote for their "benefactors" regardless of how corrupt they are.

Most people vote by name recognition not by who would be the best for the nation.  Therefore the politician criminals who are always in the news and have been for many years get most of the votes.

Absolutely correct, also total lack of accountability makes a politicians dream come true. The proverbial license to...........

fred
Posted
Posted (edited)

For several years I have been reading about the great economic growth of the Philippines partly due to exports so I kept asking what does the Philippines export.  I knew the Philippines was the biggest importer of rice but never heard what they export.  Finally I read it in a news article.  The Philippines exports brake shoes and wiring harnesses for cars. Whoopie do.

Most of the economic growth in the Philippines is from OFW's, Filipinos living abroad who send money home to their relatives, foreigners living in the Philippines and visitors. Without them the Philippines would be one of the poorest countries in the world.

The Economy of the Philippines is the 39th largest in the world, according to 2013 World Bank statistics, and is also one of theemerging markets in the world.[24] The Philippines is considered as a newly industrialized country, which has been transitioning from being one based on agriculture to one based more on services and manufacturing. According to the World Bank ICP 2011, the estimated 2011 GDP (purchasing power parity) was $543.7 billion.[25] Goldman Sachs estimates that by the year 2050, the Philippines will be the 14th largest economy in the world, Goldman Sachs also included the Philippines in its list of the Next Eleven economies. According to HSBC, the Philippine economy will become the 16th largest economy in the world, 5th largest economy in Asia and the largest economy in the Southeast Asian region by 2050.[26]

Primary exports include semiconductors and electronic products, transport equipment, garments, copper products, petroleum products, coconut oil, and fruits. Major trading partners include the United StatesJapanChinaSingaporeSouth Korea, theNetherlandsHong KongGermanyTaiwan, and Thailand. The Philippines has been named as one of the Tiger Cub Economies

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_the_Philippines

A lot of people suggest that OFW remittances are the be all and end all in regards the local economy.

From memory..GDP was around 270 Billion USD last year with steady  growth rates between 6 and 7 Percent in recent years..Not too shabby!

OFW money entering the economy (around 25 Billion $$`s is NOT included in GDP figures..

Edited by MikeB
unlinked
  • Like 2

Alby
Posted
Posted

Here are some signs of corruption ...

I recently put Skycable as my TV provider. I went for the Dual HD plan. It was 999 P but with 2000 p installation fee!! I did a one year contact.

What do I get?

The technician used one of HDMI ports for the TV signal! In another word he used my TV instead of the usual cable connection. Fine. What kind if signal do I get?

Shaky picture that cuts off while watching!

So, what did I pay for?

Do other cable companies do any different? No! Coz they know there is no choice for a Filipino and they know they can get away with it. Who's to follow up?

My gf sister doesn't give her ID or passport if a policeman asks for it. Coz she says, they are corrupt and they could do anything with it!

So, here you go. Fix what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

For several years I have been reading about the great economic growth of the Philippines partly due to exports so I kept asking what does the Philippines export.  I knew the Philippines was the biggest importer of rice but never heard what they export.  Finally I read it in a news article.  The Philippines exports brake shoes and wiring harnesses for cars. Whoopie do.

Most of the economic growth in the Philippines is from OFW's, Filipinos living abroad who send money home to their relatives, foreigners living in the Philippines and visitors. Without them the Philippines would be one of the poorest countries in the world.

The Economy of the Philippines is the 39th largest in the world, according to 2013 World Bank statistics, and is also one of theemerging markets in the world.[24] The Philippines is considered as a newly industrialized country, which has been transitioning from being one based on agriculture to one based more on services and manufacturing. According to the World Bank ICP 2011, the estimated 2011 GDP (purchasing power parity) was $543.7 billion.[25] Goldman Sachs estimates that by the year 2050, the Philippines will be the 14th largest economy in the world, Goldman Sachs also included the Philippines in its list of the Next Eleven economies. According to HSBC, the Philippine economy will become the 16th largest economy in the world, 5th largest economy in Asia and the largest economy in the Southeast Asian region by 2050.[26]

Primary exports include semiconductors and electronic products, transport equipment, garments, copper products, petroleum products, coconut oil, and fruits. Major trading partners include the United StatesJapanChinaSingaporeSouth Korea, theNetherlandsHong KongGermanyTaiwan, and Thailand. The Philippines has been named as one of the Tiger Cub Economies

A lot of people suggest that OFW remittances are the be all and end all in regards the local economy.

From memory..GDP was around 270 Billion USD last year with steady  growth rates between 6 and 7 Percent in recent years..Not too shabby!

OFW money entering the economy (around 25 Billion $$`s is NOT included in GDP figures..

Of course the Philippines has a large economy.  It takes a lot to feed and clothe over 100,000,000 people.  The Philippines sells a lot of merchandise to Filipinos but well over 90% of the merchandise is imported from other countries, mostly from China. Very little is actually made in the Philippines.

I believe the Philippines GDP is greatly inflated by Filipinos to make the Philippines to look bigger and better than it actually is.  Never underestimate Filipino Pride.

• Like 2

fred
Posted
Posted
I believe the Philippines GDP is greatly inflated by Filipinos to make the Philippines to look bigger and better than it actually is.  Never underestimate Filipino Pride.

The figures in the link I posted are based on world bank statistics..They don't come from Malacanang.

If you want to know what is made in the Philippines,whats exported and what is imported..Read the link.

You might be surprised by some of the facts therein.

I doubt that Fitch would upgrade the R.P`s credit rating based on what Filipino`s tell them!! lol.

• Like 2

tomaw
Posted
Posted (edited)

The Philippines will never move up from being a 3rd world country

.....NEVER.....

Not in my child's lifetime nor their child's lifetime.

THEY DONT have the will or desire to "improve", they do have the manpower , the "brains" to do so ..

BUT.. i will not discuss the politics

.church judicial system,

the 100-300 families that"control" most of the economical development

or Corruption,, if those items I will not discuss could be changed then...

WATCH OUT WORLD here comes the PHILIPPINES

100-300 families that control the Philippines? I heard it's only 5 families. The other thing holding them back is the crab mentality. Also the schools seem to care more about teaching the kids to sing and dance than learning English, math and science. If we have kids they will only be in The Philippines through pre-school. They'll then be educated elementary through college in The US but take summer vacations in our house in The Philippines. Edited by tomaw
  • Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

The economic growth is, for the most part, not being reinvested in infrastructure improvements, job creation, and the educational and medical needs of the people who most need it. It's going into the pockets of the few while the plight of the many is unchanged. Nothing new there. As for the current "boom", at least one expert credits the much-maligned previous President, the former economics professor of the current.

http://www.philstar.com/business/2014/07/11/1345067/booming-philippine-economy-fruit-arroyo-admin-not-pnoys

• Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted
Also the schools seem to care more about teaching the kids to sing and dance than learning English, math and science.

This drives me nuts! 

I am frankly amazed that anyone "comes good" after the non-education they receieve in Philippines schools, which seem to produce rote learning from amazingly badly written textbooks, song and dance, and "graduation ceremonies" for every child...

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

That $25B is the be all and end all to the common people, it's more than half of what they have to live off of, the rest of the GDP goes into a few pockets, clearly.

• Like 1