Where Do You Think The Rp Stands

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Also the schools seem to care more about teaching the kids to sing and dance than learning English, math and science.

This drives me nuts! 

I am frankly amazed that anyone "comes good" after the non-education they receieve in Philippines schools, which seem to produce rote learning from amazingly badly written textbooks, song and dance, and "graduation ceremonies" for every child...

The textbooks are very basic. I read a 1st year college biology book in 30 minutes. It is about a grade 3 level. You have to buy new books from the school every year. You can't use a last year's 1st year biology book as they rearrange the same chapters from the 1950s.

• Like 2

fred
Posted
Posted

The Philippines will never move up from being a 3rd world country

.....NEVER.....

Not in my child's lifetime nor their child's lifetime.

THEY DONT have the will or desire to "improve", they do have the manpower , the "brains" to do so ..

BUT.. i will not discuss the politics

.church judicial system,

the 100-300 families that"control" most of the economical development

or Corruption,, if those items I will not discuss could be changed then...

WATCH OUT WORLD here comes the PHILIPPINES

100-300 families that control the Philippines? I heard it's only 5 families. The other thing holding them back is the crab mentality. Also the schools seem to care more about teaching the kids to sing and dance than learning English, math and science. If we have kids they will only be in The Philippines through pre-school. They'll then be educated elementary through college in The US but take summer vacations in our house in The Philippines.

If everything  became perfect and 1st world overnight here in the Philippines,I would think that many Foreign pensioners would be forced to search for a new idea of paradise because of financial reasons.

I suppose we should be careful what we wish for!

• Like 3

RBM
Posted
Posted

I believe the Philippines GDP is greatly inflated by Filipinos to make the Philippines to look bigger and better than it actually is.  Never underestimate Filipino Pride.

The figures in the link I posted are based on world bank statistics..They don't come from Malacanang.

If you want to know what is made in the Philippines,whats exported and what is imported..Read the link.

You might be surprised by some of the facts therein.

I doubt that Fitch would upgrade the R.P`s credit rating based on what Filipino`s tell them!! lol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_the_Philippines

Fred wonder if you have read this....The grim reality.....

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/05/the-grim-reality-behind-the-philippines-economic-growth/275597/

• Like 3

jpbago
Posted
Posted

First, they have to get past the no load, low bat issues.

Alby
Posted
Posted

Jpbago ...

On a phone, one would either text, call and/or browse?

Why phone companies come up with so numerous plans and codes, etc?

The funny thing is, I texted my SMART phone company using some wrong number and they replied to me saying it's an error but charged me 1 peso for it :) A punishment for not knowing I guess!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fred
Posted
Posted

I believe the Philippines GDP is greatly inflated by Filipinos to make the Philippines to look bigger and better than it actually is.  Never underestimate Filipino Pride.

The figures in the link I posted are based on world bank statistics..They don't come from Malacanang.

If you want to know what is made in the Philippines,whats exported and what is imported..Read the link.

I doubt that Fitch would upgrade the R.P`s credit rating based on what Filipino`s tell them!! lol.

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/05/the-grim-reality-behind-the-philippines-economic-growth/275597/

Yes I did..

A very accurate portrayal of reality in the R.P.. Some things never seem to change.

Perhaps if the poverty stricken massa discovered how valuable their vote is and not sell it for peanuts to the highest corrupt "politician" then they may begin to see that they could represent the most powerful political lobby group  the country has ever seen..

Not gonna happen in my lifetime or probably even my kids...

Sayangl!!

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Where Do You Think The Rp Stands?

It's still on its knees......he, he.  3rd world status but very knowledgeable and skillful in NOT losing face or showing no remorse,

especially from people in power (govt and church).  The culture of impunity and the culture of dependency is alive and well.  

You cannot be a one man campaign against stagnant growth even if you're Filipino -- just go with the flow.  Here's another angle

to the status quo -- the culture of bahala na....... 

Edited by Jake
deleted my obscene remarks
  • Like 1

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

But how do you really feel Jake

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

Very accurate. The Atlantic is a fine magazine.

I look at my outlaws; they are rice farmers and their cash income is about 130K pesos a year, It happens that they have no OFWs in their family, so they have not been able to rebuild their farm house - those of their neighbours (who tend to be cousins!) with OFWs have generally done so.

The local town - population 48K, is in the hands of a dynasty, who in turn owe allegiance to the provincial dynasty. It would be absurd to think of starting a business without cutting them in.

It is a trishaw town not a tricycle town - I expect most of the trishaw riders make 200 pesos a day, and are glad of it.

Edited by Methersgate

Thomas
Posted
Posted
When I look at successful countries, I see countries who make durable goods for their own consumption and export. I don't see much of that in the Philippines
Where can the shortfall in savings for investment come from? The obvious answer is from overseas - from international investors, who will look to take advantage of the abundance of labour and the good English of the workforce. But overseas investors are prevented from owning more than 40% of anything, and rather than get ensnared in the legal niceties of the anti dummy law, etc, they stay out. They are the more inclined to stay out because of the corruption issue.
Well. Big (foreign) investors could speed up developing much, but Phils need more CHANGED THINKING than capital.

Almost all of the Filipins, who dream of having an own company, think of sarisari or tricycle business, which would NOT add any money to the region.

Beside farming and animal breeding, there are very litle PRODUCTION made by Filipin small businesses, which could be their way out of powerty otherwice. 

Much basic business KNOWLEDGE ARE MISSING in many cases, making them doing stupid misstakes (E g don't understand the difference between Revenue and Profit, so they spend all, so they don't get money left to continue their business...)

But there are exceptions e g:

/The rather poor woman from north of Manila somewhere, who started a small bakery. Now her business is big.

/A Filipina friend of mine started sewing production, when she had NO MONEY at all. She had only a good production idea and contact where she could rent a sewing mashine when they didn't needed it themselves. She borrowed a litle through a very expensive short loan to get raw material to the first production. (It's rather new. Soon she earned double as she did as an employed, still improving the profit fast. The loan she paid back within 2 months.)

Some more Filipins HAVE GOOD business mind, but are SABOTAGED BY OWN FAMILY by demanding more than the PROFITABLE business can afford, so it's drained out...

(E g one I know produced at home some food to sell, but she gave up after family wanted ALL her REVENUE...)

I haven't been there, but if it's as good as news said, the mayor of Rosario has managed to develop it much by make OFW workers from there invest there.

Foreigners CAN owe 100 % of businesses if they are "export business"  (=Minimum 60 persent exported.)   But I don't know if the companies have to be inside the "export zones".  I don't want to be in such, which are in big cities, I want to have it close to my home, which will be rural somewhere.