Where Do You Think The Rp Stands

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

It really is a open ended question because there are not set definitions for 2nd world or 3rd world  

I would consider China 2nd world     The Phils 3rd   and a new 4th class for places like Somalia and the sub continent    

• Like 3

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

Come to America where poor people are fat.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Come to America where poor people are fat.

Yes. I have pointed that out to Filipins, who believe fat mean rich,

while it often mean they can afford to eat junk food...   :)

• Like 1

Albert Russell
Posted
Posted

That appears to be a Cold War map, showing the First World Countries (America and its' allies), the Second World (Russia and its' allies, and the Third World, which is basically everyone else.

Geographers and demographers now break the world down between developed and developing countries.

The Philippines is clearly in the later group.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
chico2663
Posted
Posted

Here's another story about the Philippines economic growth:

http://www.philstar.com/business/2014/07/11/1345067/booming-philippine-economy-fruit-arroyo-admin-not-pnoys

In my opinion the economic grow in the Philippines would be better described as "The wealthiest families in the Philippines experienced a 6.6% growth in their wealth."  This is more accurate because the economic growth didn't effect most people in the Philippines.  There's still about a 25% poverty rate.

25% poverty rate...If I were to guess the REAL poverty rate, my guess would be closer to 60%. 25% seems WAY too low. And I would guess unemployment (or severe underemployment) to be well over 50%.

I wonder what the REAL poverty level in the United States would be if we applied the same standards of poverty as in the Philippines? I had only two major culture shocks upon my first visit to the Philippines: 1. What REAL poverty is; 2. The hordes of street children.

Too bad every American could not be required to visit impoverished families in the Philippines and live among them for a month or longer. I wonder how long Americans in "poverty" could last without their big screen TVs, XBoxes, and air conditioning?

Yes, I realize that are needy families in the U.S., and I realize that standards are different here. And according to U.S. standards, I'd even guess many of us on this forum live in poverty while in the Philippines.

But the majority of people in "poverty" in the U.S. don't appreciate how good they really have it. Everybody (I don't mean EVERYBODY, of course!) is looking for government handouts.

anyone who grew up as a child in the military of the 60's and 70's would know what it's like to grow up poor. If you didn't get a stripe than your family didn't get any extra money. They new what powdered milk and govt. cheese tastes like. Learned to hunt and fish at age of 9 because that supplanted the food we didn't have. We ate more spanish rice and tortillas. That is why always say prayer for old man bush because he brought military out of poverish standards!

• Like 1