Where Do You Think The Rp Stands

Americano
Posted
Posted

Here's another story about the Philippines economic growth:

http://www.philstar.com/business/2014/07/11/1345067/booming-philippine-economy-fruit-arroyo-admin-not-pnoys

In my opinion the economic grow in the Philippines would be better described as "The wealthiest families in the Philippines experienced a 6.6% growth in their wealth."  This is more accurate because the economic growth didn't effect most people in the Philippines.  There's still about a 25% poverty rate.

Here's something to think about.  The Philippines continues to build more and more shopping malls all over the country which employs thousands or maybe millions of young boys and girls.  I never saw so many employees working in a mall in my entire life.  Five or six stand behind one or two cash registers and one or two on almost every isle.  What will happen in a few years when they are too old to work in a mall so they are replaced by younger boys and girls? 

There's not enough jobs being created for them and most of them won't be qualified for OFW jobs.

• Like 5

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

Very good point about shopping malls. Anyone who is no longer pretty is kicked out, and the staff, as I think we all know, are employed on short term contracts, so they cannot claim the protection of the labour laws, which at first glance look good - except that they hardly apply to anyone.

Another point - don't imagine that all these young people are models of virtue - there is plenty of drug dealing and drug taking going on amongst them - don't ask me how I know that.

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted

"This horrific continuous crime against children can be ended by a single executive order, strictly implemented, to close all sex bars and clubs that make girls and women available for sex."

With one stroke of a pen, tumbleweeds will be blowing down the streets in Angeles, the GDP will go down, tourism numbers will go down to 2 million instead of up to 10 million and poverty will increase.

http://www.manilatimes.net/children-sex-trade/131790/

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

"This horrific continuous crime against children can be ended by a single executive order, strictly implemented, to close all sex bars and clubs that make girls and women available for sex."

With one stroke of a pen, tumbleweeds will be blowing down the streets in Angeles, the GDP will go down, tourism numbers will go down to 2 million instead of up to 10 million and poverty will increase.

http://www.manilatimes.net/children-sex-trade/131790/

Father Shay Cullen, we note, wrote the article.

Whilst like most if not indeed all of us I loathe the sexual abuse of children, we have to cope with the fact that little girls are encouraged to be "sexy" by their parents, perhaps quite innocently dreaming of  a "career" for their little girl in "showbiz" or in "modelling", which will bring in much more money than a "career" selling shoes in a mall. It's a horribly slippery slope from there to the sexual abuse of minors.

And the poverty in the countryside can be gruesome. 

The attitude of mind needs to be changed. I would start with some very populat Filipino TV programmes which are, as we British would say, "heaving with totty" - scantily clad dancers in all directions.

As for "single executive orders", the President cannot compel Filipinos to pay their taxes or compel his own colleagues and staff to comply with the very detailed anti-corruption laws that are in force, so why Shay Cullen expects an order closing girlie bars to be enforced, I cannot imagine!

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 4

afathertobe
Posted
Posted

Whilst like most if not indeed all of us I loathe the sexual abuse of children, we have to cope with the fact that little girls are encouraged to be "sexy" by their parents, perhaps quite innocently dreaming of  a "career" for their little girl in "showbiz" or in "modelling", which will bring in much more money than a "career" selling shoes in a mall. It's a horribly slippery slope from there to the sexual abuse of minors.

Something we noticed when visiting some rural towns on Cebu Island as well. The sexualisation of children beings in schools and the way they dress girls (and boys to some extent I guess) in their dance and sing performances.

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

Something we noticed when visiting some rural towns on Cebu Island as well. The sexualisation of children beings in schools and the way they dress girls (and boys to some extent I guess) in their dance and sing performances.

Yes indeed. K tells the tale of her mother going to some lengths to ensure that her father did NOT attend her High School graduation because she was required to wear a skimpy costume and dance suggestively and her father would certainly have put a stop to the performance by dragging his youngest daughter off the stage.

People don't seem to make the obvious connection between the sexualisation of childhood and the sexual abuse of children. 

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 2

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

There's a law which makes it illegal for adults to require minors to dance seductively but its rarely enforced.  Two or three years ago there was a case in the news that involved a small boy or was it a girl?

Edited by Americano
  • Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

There's a law which makes it illegal for adults to require minors to dance seductively but its rarely enforced.  Two or three years ago there was a case in the news that involved a small boy or was it a girl?

I didn't know that! Thank you!

Two or three cases brought against school heads would very soon put a stop to schools doing it - which would be a step in the right direction.

Because schools encourage "Hawaiian dance shows" (by the way, what is culturally Filipino about Hawaii?) parents assume that it must be OK for their little tots to be dressed in skimpy outfits and make suggestive gestures.

It isn't.

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I won't go to far into how I see the Philippines changing in the future - or rather how they need to change - if they are to become a first world country.  And, at present, they are not a 3rd world country by the majority of definitions but 2nd world.  It all comes down to Pesos in and out and not the level of poverty as seen.  If that was the case, most American and European countries would no longer qualify as 1st World.  Anyway, to move up, the Philippines is going to require a major Constitutional revamping...   Who can do what, who can change what and what support is needed.  Political revamping will be required as well to prevent the dynasties that presently exist throughout the country...  All fresh blood is going to be needed.  Opening the country to outside investing is needed - but with an oversight by a government entity to prevent Filipino-owned corporations being sold to the wrong countries and/or other countries taking over.  And poverty will need to be addressed immediately...  Find a way to put the country back to work...  And, with the way the Chinese are trying to "invade" the Philippines, perhaps the idea that either people get a job or join the military for a couple years might be one way to go.  And, like I said, these are only scratches...  Some ideas might not make sense to all without knowing parts that I haven't put on here.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

Excellent ideas to revamp the constitution and pass a bill against family dynasties.  Also to completely overhaul PNP and

other law enforcement agencies.  Also revamp Customs and Immigrations.  Also revamp agriculture and natural resource

agencies.  Also revamp import, export and foreign business trade agreements.  Also revamp education.  Also.......

If the Philippines has the mindset to start today, it will probably take a couple generations to weed out the undesirables.  

In the meantime, it's the 3 G's --- guns, goons and gold based on long established jungle rules.....he, he.

In this upcoming primary election 2016, you will see parades with loudspeakers, campaign posters-banners and sexy

starlets with the wannabe presidents, senators and congressmen.  Most will have long and boring speeches and all of

them are nothing but a pitcher full of warm spit (quotation from Ramon Tulfo, Philippines Daily Inquirer).   

Es mo pun.......

• Like 1