The Debut

UnCheckedOther
Posted
Posted

Robert K, I agree with you that having a paid for house and/or zero debt indicators of social status or fiscal responsibility.

I must say that the big debut are done by those who have the means to afford it ie those who won't get into debt to afford it. It's not just a Filipino thing. A lot of my (non-Filipino) friends in the US became debutantes at balls as well, and a few friends I grew up with in Europe when dad was stationed there were invited to the deb balls in Paris. Yeah, it may seem hoity-toity and needless, but it is tradition. It's a networking event as well if you invite the right people. It's not for everyone, sure :)

As for those who want to have an "en grande" debut (or wedding) but have to pay it on layaway, go into debt, or live on crackers for a year to finance it, just get 18 sampaguitas, 18 candles (recyled from brownouts), and 18 barbecue sticks. Done and done.

• Like 4

Americano
Posted
Posted

"18 roses dance ...  18 candles ...  18 treasures  ..."      Sounds like too much superstition for me.  I won't be paying for any Debuts or attending any either.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I knew there was a reason why I have three boys. :cheersty:

Same here thank God.

Ok So you both have boys I will keep my daughter away no offense but that`s too many for me to fight off at one time.

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

its a bit like win 5,000 on the lottery and then spend 10,000 to celebrate,,,,Any excuse to party and show off,,,,Then next day, Skint again.

Sounds about right Brock it`s the same in Thailand. They don`t see that they could do something better with the money. IE repair the leaking roof or similar things.

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted

I knew there was a reason why I have three boys. :cheersty:

The Debut for the boys is at age 21. Start planning.

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

In Britain we used to have "Debutantes" who were Presented at Court at the start of the London Season, which opened with Queen Charlotte's Ball. 

This was all offficially put a stop to when Queen Elizabeth (Whom God Preserve!) abolished it, in 1958, saying that it was snobbish and ridiculous.

However, snobbery being what it is, although Debutantes have been officially abolished, some vestiges of the London Season remain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debutante

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Season_(society)

So far as I am concerned, as an Englishman, if the Queen has abolished it, it's abolished.

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 5

jpbago
Posted
Posted
Myself i think its just a show off time, spending all that money for the entertainment of others, a conplete was of cash and time, just myself thinking this no offense ment to others

The PI does a lot of that in their many festivals that last a week or more plus all the barangay festivals and such. Bacolod just had the Maskara festival that lasted 19 days. We have 2 a year that last 10 days each. It is a way to get people to spend their money from heaven ( from OFWs, oversea relatives and oversea husbands/boyfriends). It lets the government off the hook. They call it "Share your blessings" as they never worked for the money. Steve calls it working hard for your money. 

• Like 1

UnCheckedOther
Posted
Posted

Americano, by definition, superstition is the belief in supernatural causality (intersection of religion, spirituality, other unnatural forces). The 18 roses, treasures, and candles are CULTURAL symbols. No ghosts, vampires, aswangs, or mananaggals. But agreed. It's steeped in too many CULTURAL TRADITIONS that you neither care about nor are privy to.

• Like 2

pokermike
Posted
Posted

i think its our resonsibility to fit in with local customs i will be participating in everything to keep my wife happy and her family. I give my wife 34,400 pesos a month for her family, and my wife decides who it goes to. I also give my wife 8600 pesos a month for a family emergency fund  they they have not touched it now for two years. They know not to ask me for loans or extra money for anything.

I do go to all parties and gatherings but wife handles the money issues out of her family money, she plans well.

Thats why i dont see how its possible to live on $1,000 a month , with the expected and deserved help to the family , i mean we did marry their child. WE OWE   Poker Mike

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

What utter nonsense.  That's all I have to say about a debut.

• Like 4