The Debut

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

It's horribly complicated, Jack ; some websites still say the age of consent is 12, which it once was, and I think it is 16 for Moslems who marry with their parents' consent (which is why Freddie Aguillar suddenly converted to Islam to marry his 16 year old girlfriend - he's 63 I think?)

I think the only safe course for anyone is to take it as 18, and to be very well aware of the law which forbids a man to be in the same room as a girl under 18 who is not a blood relative without another adult present. (I had the fright of my life when I was staying in the Molave Guest House and my then 12 year old niece called to see if her aunt was there - K was out shopping - I thought the only safe thing to do was to leave the door open so the security guard could see into the room!)

Edited to add: I found a better answer:

There are multiple laws governing this: 
Sex with any child up to the age of 12 is classified as forcible rape. Sex with someone over the age of 12 but less than 18 is permissible as long as the age difference between the two is less than 10 years. Thus a 20 year old can have sex with a 15 year old but a 26 year old can not have sex with a 15 year old. See the selected quotes below and the full law in the links. 

``"Article 266-A. Rape: When And How Committed. - Rape is committed: 
"1) By a man who shall have carnal knowledge of a woman under any of the following circumstances: 
"a) Through force, threat, or intimidation; 
"b) When the offended party is deprived of reason or otherwise unconscious; 
"c) By means of fraudulent machination or grave abuse of authority; and 
"d) When the offended party is under twelve (12) years of age or is demented, even though none of the circumstances mentioned above be present. 

``(a) "Children" refers to person below eighteen (18) years of age or those over but are unable to fully take care of themselves or protect themselves from abuse, neglect, cruelty, exploitation or discrimination because of a physical or mental disability or condition;`` 

``Any person who shall keep or have in his company a minor, twelve (12) years or under or who in ten (10) years or more his junior in any public or private place, hotel, motel, beer joint, discotheque, cabaret, pension house, sauna or massage parlor, beach and/or other tourist resort or similar places shall suffer the penalty of prision mayor in its maximum period and a fine of not less than Fifty thousand pesos (P50,000.00): Provided, That this provision shall not apply to any person who is related within the fourth degree of consanguinity or affinity or any bond recognized by law, local custom and tradition or acts in the performance of a social, moral or legal duty.`` 

Source(s):

http://www.chanrobles.com/republicactno8... (Anti-Rape Law) 
http://www.chanrobles.com/republicactno7... (Special Protection of Children Against Abuse, Exploitation and Discrimination Act) 

The links to the online texts of the statutes may be useful for your daughter's school.
graph.png

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 3

Malcolm Graham
Posted
Posted

A debut party is a 18th birthday party.  I must have spent a fortune on making my kids 18th birthday parties a success in the UK so why shouldn't I do it here.  The whole thing is do you want the kids to enjoy themselves

• Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

A debut party is a 18th birthday party.  I must have spent a fortune on making my kids 18th birthday parties a success in the UK so why shouldn't I do it here.  The whole thing is do you want the kids to enjoy themselves

Don't be so darned reasonable, Malcolm!  :cheersty:

• Like 1

Malcolm Graham
Posted
Posted

Kids are the future which sadly is why i still pay for the kids education for the woman I dropped.  And they'll never forget you gave them the party

• Like 2

Americano
Posted
Posted

12, 16 or 18 years old it doesn't matter what the law says unless you are a foreigner.  Filipinos do whatever they want to regardless of the laws.  My wife's sister was married by the Catholic Church when she was 15 to a 27 year old Filipino man. Now one of my wife's 1st cousins is only 14 but expecting to give birth soon.  No one has filed charges against her adult boyfriend so he is good to go. He can continue to impregnate all the girls he wants to.

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

She-who-must-be-obeyed's eldest sister was likewise married in Church at 15. She did not stay that way.

I think that was when the age of consent was still 12 but it was still wrong.  

Foreigners are well advised to be extremely careful NEVER to be alone in a room with someone under 18 (make that 20, for safety's sake) with whom they are not related by blood (relationship by marriage does not count)...Prison and 50,000 pesos...

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

My wife's 15 year old sister only lived in the families home for 2 months before her husband's mother kick her out. It didn't matter that she was already pregnant.  An illegal marriage and pregnant but everything is fine because its the Filipino way.

komments
Posted
Posted

hmmmmmmmmm now back to the Topic.

Since in the real World, the "Debut" went out in the 50's ( but then the PI s in the 50's Still) :hystery:  This is now, no more, than a Coming of Age Party. We all had them and if it is thought about properly and paid for by the parents as they should be, Families might give a little more thought as to how many kids they want to knock out. I have 4 daughters, 3 of which are now grown and married but all had there own coming of Age party, my 15 year old will have hers.  

You have 5 Kids and you will have 5 Coming of Age Parties.( according to my BIL the coming of Age is 18 for Both B&G)

According to a couple here, we should of course pay for someone else's kids. Party, NOPE! you made your bed, you can now lay on it.

Can't afford Kids, Easy don't Have them. 

JP :tiphat:  :morning1:

Morning All!

While Deb Balls may not be as widespread as they once were many parents still throw Coming Out (or Sweet 16) parties for their girls.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

While Deb Balls may not be as widespread as they once were many parents still throw Coming Out (or Sweet 16) parties for their girls.

groupwave.gif Of course but always remembering, that Any Birthday, Toe Nail cutting day, I got stopped by the Pulis for no helmet day and especially No Budget day is a day for a party here!  You can here the Whispers grouphug.gif Lets have a party.  OK Why? idea.gif Just cos!   guiness.gif

girlpower.gif  Wins every time. or hadn't you noticed.

So who's Head of the House Now?

JP :tiphat:  :morning1:

Morning All.

jpbago
Posted
Posted

There is a wedding going on here today. 5 pigs, 80 chickens, 80 ducks, 56 Godmothers, 56 Godfathers, (I think they mean bridesmaids and best men but not sure). They rented the Colosseum. It is a Filipino wedding on both sides. He is a fashion designer in Saudi being forced to pay by her mother.

• Like 2