The Debut

komments
Posted
Posted (edited)

Americano, by definition, superstition is the belief in supernatural causality (intersection of religion, spirituality, other unnatural forces). The 18 roses, treasures, and candles are CULTURAL symbols. No ghosts, vampires, aswangs, or mananaggals. But agreed. It's steeped in too many CULTURAL TRADITIONS that you neither care about nor are privy to.

What fun is a ball without zombies?  Are YOU ready for the zombie apocalypse?

Edited by komments
  • Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I'm really surprised by a lot of the comments here...  So many people who have moved to the Philippines for one reason or another yet they do not want to adapt the national traditions.  Nope!  Some would rather live as if they were back in their former countries...  I don't understand at all!  Funny how these are usually the same people who complain about things while saying it was so much better back home...!  I just don't understand...  Not sure I want to!

:rolleyes:  :mocking:

Malcolm Graham
Posted
Posted

But what about when the kids get to 7 then there is another big party  Or maybe it just hit me

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

The word debut came from the French. In American English its pronounced  dey-byoo  My wife who is from Mindanao says its pronounced de-butt here.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/debut

Edited by Americano

Americano
Posted
Posted

I'm really surprised by a lot of the comments here...  So many people who have moved to the Philippines for one reason or another yet they do not want to adapt the national traditions.  Nope!  Some would rather live as if they were back in their former countries...  I don't understand at all!  Funny how these are usually the same people who complain about things while saying it was so much better back home...!  I just don't understand...  Not sure I want to!

:rolleyes:  :mocking:

Your question is very easy for me to answer.  For me and my wife it has nothing to do with adapting to the national traditions.  My wife, me and both of our immediate families are not Catholics, therefore we do not participate in any Festivals or traditions that are Catholic.  My wife says the Filipino Debut is a Catholic tradition so we don't celebrate those either.  Also, we do not celebrate any Islamic, Hindu, Buddhist, Jewish, Mormon, etc. Festival or traditions. We do celebrate or observe national holidays like Independence Day, National Heroes Day.  It can be summed up as:  Freedom of Religion gives us the right to form our own religious beliefs.  We are not required to celebrate other people's religious beliefs.

• Like 1

brock
Posted
Posted

You can move to another country to live, Doesnt mean you have to abide by their traditions, You have only got to look at all the different cultures in your own country, You just do your own thing.

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

And people wonder why expats get such a bad name...

So sad!

:no:

Americano
Posted
Posted

Bob,

Do you follow all of the cultures in Canada?  Of course not, you choose which one or ones you follow just like everyone does. I hope you are not a follower of the ones who are in the Canadian news this week.  Its been live on CNN and BBC for the last few hours. So far 2 reported dead don't know how many wounded.  That's not a culture I want to follow.

pokermike
Posted
Posted

So if a person does not participate in any holidays i guess its ok,  but if he thens buys a christmas present for his wife or kids then he is not being true to those statements. i think its more like the person does not have enough money for these parties and celebrations or possibly they are just cheap and try to convince their wifes to be similar to them. Instead of trying to fit in. I agree with you, I am Bob no wonder they dont like us.

I think we should start trying to do away with their Holidays also and demand that business stay open becuase we dont like the way they do things. No more out of stock, no more butting in lines.

Or just maybe, why dont we just chill and try to be a good ex pat and join in all there countires celebrations and customs. Open your wallet.    Poker Mike

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Bob,

Do you follow all of the cultures in Canada?  Of course not, you choose which one or ones you follow just like everyone does. I hope you are not a follower of the ones who are in the Canadian news this week.  Its been live on CNN and BBC for the last few hours. So far 2 reported dead don't know how many wounded.  That's not a culture I want to follow.

Yes, at this time, it appears that at least one, and possibly several others who have no desire to explore the culture of the country have gone insane and started to kill people. A very good reason for expats to learn about the local culture where ever they are - those that do won't be identified as the evil foreigners...