Part 2 - Can I Live On $2,000 A Month In The Philippines?

pokermike
Posted
Posted

Starting my journey into my new life December 9th , fly from Phoenix to Los Angeles $172 , then flight from Los Angeles to Manilla $2,920. Guess thats going to be part of my budget times two at least once a year for me and my wife. I hope i can make that $3000 a month magic number. Its going to be close.   Poker Mike

• Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted
but so far after looking at so many houses , sure they see long nose , but everyone of the houses were dumps and way over 20,000 pesos a month. Could not have lived in any of them.

Yes, that was probably my biggest turn off from the Phils, the very poor standard of accomodation, I did find a very nice modern house in Davao at around 40,000 a month but he wanted to put soooo many restrictions on what I could and could not do, such as having more than two visitors stay at any one time that I turned it down and began to look at other countries.

I really should thank that man for the favour he did me. I now have my own house in a beautiful spot with very cheap cost of living and even a beautiful, well educated, intelligent woman in my life.

• Like 2

pokermike
Posted
Posted

Where are you now Vyrly , might move in on you..  poker mike

Curley
Posted
Posted

Vyrly ? Check out my avatar and below it

Larry45
Posted
Posted

Starting my journey into my new life December 9th , fly from Phoenix to Los Angeles $172 , then flight from Los Angeles to Manilla $2,920. Guess thats going to be part of my budget times two at least once a year for me and my wife. I hope i can make that $3000 a month magic number. Its going to be close.   Poker Mike

Wish you the best of luck, pokermike.  We are obviously on different sides when it comes to the economy argument, but we do have something in common, as we are both gamblers.  I trade the futures markets and you play poker.  In my experience, it's a whole lot easier to build a bankroll and maintain it, if your living costs are low.  Trading, or gambling, from a different country presents a whole different set of circumstances and situations.  Your emotions will run the gamut here and if online, you will have to adjust to timezone tendencies.  Anyways, I do wish you good fortune.  I suck at poker, as I can't deal with the bad beats and it tilts me easily.  I don't get that in trading.  Take care. :)

pokermike
Posted
Posted

Thanks guys, just got the money from the sale of my house. On the 2nd i am meeting with Fidelity and rolling my 401k and proceeds from the sale of my house into a 2040 index fund , probably too agressive , but i dont know about the market. Larry45 wish i knew the market like you i am jealous. I play a strong game of poker  when i am into that mindset, right now just taking care of my move and everything to many distrations so not playing. Dont let the bad beats bother you , they all end up breaking even. think of it thid way the game is not over till you are six feet under.

Curley thats why i know i am going to get stuck with a high rental in some high rise condos , from what i have seen they look the best. Have not seen any house i have liked. Guess i am spoiled my house i just sold was in Scottsdale very nice, going to miss it a little, but miss my woman more.  later guys thanks   Poker Mike

• Like 1

John Mogusar
Posted
Posted

That's an extremely expensive ticket from L.A. to PI. You can find one for under $1000 (round trip) if you shop around. Of course, it won't be business class, but at some point you gotta ask yourself where you will try to save some money.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
That's an extremely expensive ticket from L.A. to PI. You can find one for under $1000 (round trip) if you shop around. Of course, it won't be business class, but at some point you gotta ask yourself where you will try to save some money.

John, there is no talking to some people.

• Like 2

pokermike
Posted
Posted

The reason i went business class this time and made sure my reservations were made before the end of the year , was because i have a gaming consulting company and Pacor is looking at a few of my things. i own two gaming inventions. So this trip is a tax write off Uncle sam takes the beat. From now on coach, come on guys i am a lot smarter than i look. John most of the time i have tyhe best hand. i should have explained that earlier about my flight.  Wow one week and i am there for good or maybe try a few more countires.   Poke mike thanks guys

• 1 month later...
mogo51
Posted
Posted (edited)

I live in Thailand currently, but  move to Phils in the next year or so.  I have a budget here of 40kbht a month and live well but not lavishly.

Eat a mix of western and asian foods, eat out a couple of times a week (cheap but good restaurants) have a car/bike, go for a few drinks when I want to.

I have been to  Phils and think that overall it is slightly cheaper to live in Phils, I believe.  I have a Filipino gf who teaches here, so it is inevitable we will move there, as she is soon to be a grandmother.  I to  am looking forward to that, but not too close to family obviously.

She is from North Luzon and that area is very interesting, but not many westerners as I can detect?  Any thoughts.

Moderators edit:  40K BHT is 53K Philippine Pesos at today's rate 

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
Help the reader to convert currency