Changing Dumaguete

robert k
Posted
Posted

Dumaguete has a lot of banks, he must have meant branches of his bank.

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted

I do not mean branches of my bank, I mean any bank. For the last 500 years, there was just one bank and one credit union. Now, just now, we have TWO banks, one MayBank and one BDO. We have no malls and just 2 months ago, no grocery stores. Now we have a small one, Prince, about 20m square. We had/have to go 23 km to Bacolod. The one hospital is merely a waiting room for transfers. The same mayor/family has been in power for like 60 years. In case you ask why that I am here, it is family who all live and die within 1 km of their birth place.

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

I do not mean branches of my bank, I mean any bank. For the last 500 years, there was just one bank and one credit union. Now, just now, we have TWO banks, one MayBank and one BDO. We have no malls and just 2 months ago, no grocery stores. Now we have a small one, Prince, about 20m square. We had/have to go 23 km to Bacolod. The one hospital is merely a waiting room for transfers. The same mayor/family has been in power for like 60 years. In case you ask why that I am here, it is family who all live and die within 1 km of their birth place.

Sounds like paradise to me.

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Sounds like paradise to me.

One man's junk is another man's gold!

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)

Sorry, my mistake, I thought this was a thread about Dumaguete? I sometimes wish I were 23 kilometers from Bacolod, I bet both my girl and I would enjoy the shopping.

Mike S has also reviewed a couple places I would like to eat at. :thumbsup:

Edited by robert k
  • Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Spent the morning in Dumaguete and the evening in Dipolog: Dipolog wins.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

Dumaguete is not at it's best in the morning. My drive into town this morning at 6:30 am was pleasant, marred only by some mentally deficient trike drivers who with enough room to park a Ceres bus on the side of the road had to block the National Highway while they negotiated a fare with a passenger.

I had the rare breakfast at McDonalds, sausage McMuffin with egg and a coke. The dispensing machine was out of coke but they were serving from 1.5 L bottles. Possibly enough people like me have explained that if we want a coke which the establishment normally would serve and there is none, we are leaving. Businesses do learn, 15 months ago it would have simply been no stock sir, as I am sure it still is many places, but it's a start.

After breakfast, I attended to the real business of the day, getting a door hinge repaired on the truck at a shop. It went well and when I paid the cashier, she said salaam'at and I took a chance and trotted out my extremely limited Bisaya to which she reacted midway between shocked and pleased. All in all, a good start to a day! :thumbsup:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Possibly enough people like me have explained

Ohhhhh I gotta tell ya . .  they ran out of napkins over Christmas and were using those filipino napkins that they bought locally.  I went up to the front manager, held one against my index finger and asked her:  "Have you got any tissue big enough to wipe ALL of my fingers at the same time??"  She gave me 5 of those finger size napkins.

And that is why I always carry my own tissue and handkerchief.  Except that day when they were needed, of course.

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

Agreed, I normally carried toilet paper but I got complacent going one day to Hypermart which usually has reasonable facilities. I had to buy some paper and I have been carrying the remainder ever since and not needed it, a sort of wadded up paper good luck talisman. Lol. :no:

• Like 1

davewe
Posted
Posted

When I was researching last year places to move in the Philippines, Dumaguete was a (very) distant second or third choice. I guess your report drops it completely off my list. No matter, as I think I've found my paradise. :) (Lipa City)

I always thought Dumaguete would be my city of choice as it was several years agos.

Now for reasons outlined by myself and others its a strong no no.

Having traveled pretty extensively throught the country I can say there are quite a few mid sized cities where one can live happily without the negatives of Dumaguete.

Off topic how ever yesterday we drove toBayawan, the road is beautiful as is the scenery, wonderful 2 hour drive.

What other mid sized cities?