Changing Dumaguete

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
What other mid sized cities?

I'll be investigating Iloilo, Bacolod and Tagbiliran in the next couple of weeks Dave.  I'll do my usual post-trip report.  

I was in Dumaguete last year, still liked it as a visitor, but to qualify that I've never spent more than 6-7 days there. It's still reasonably high on my list of possibles when you compare it to Cebu City or Manila.  

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)

What other mid sized cities?

I'll be investigating Iloilo, Bacolod and Tagbiliran in the next couple of weeks Dave.  I'll do my usual post-trip report.  

I was in Dumaguete last year, still liked it as a visitor, but to qualify that I've never spent more than 6-7 days there. It's still reasonably high on my list of possibles when you compare it to Cebu City or Manila.  

We were in Tagbilaran last April. It's OK and has the needed stuff, but not very exciting. Of course you have Alona beach and the rest of Bohol for excitement. But we both liked Duma as a city a bit better than Tag. I'll be interested in your impressions. OTOH, I don't think it's booming like Duma and therefore you won't have the overexpansion problems as described. But frankly there is a reason is not booming IMO.

Edited by davewe
  • Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Agreed, I normally carried toilet paper but I got complacent going one day to Hypermart which usually has reasonable facilities. I had to buy some paper and I have been carrying the remainder ever since and not needed it, a sort of wadded up paper good luck talisman. Lol. :no:

Interesting comment, we prefer to go to Hypermart rather than face he multitudes at Lee Plaza. I believe its he same owner.

What I find comical is so many locals waiting outside Lee Plaza from 8am onwards.....

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

Places I find pleasant, not necessary in preferencial order would be the following. Legespi City Albay, Dapitan City, Naga City, San Carlos, Ormoc (pre yollander as have not been there after) Little more isolated and smaller would be Camiguin, Siquijor and San Fran Mindanao, even Bayawan where I currently are is nice. We walked for 2 hours on the beach yesterday, never saw a soul, clean beach wonderful sun sets from one of the many beach bars, few foreigners.

For me Bacolod beats Dumaguete hands down, no comparison. Just takes a little time to learn the lay out in Bacolod and how to ovoid the busy areas. Pretty much everything we need is there, bonus is some wonderful restaurants

Don't forget its horses for courses. Oh forgot, after almost 4 years in Cebu I never go back ever unless absolouly necessary.

robert k
Posted
Posted

Agreed, I normally carried toilet paper but I got complacent going one day to Hypermart which usually has reasonable facilities. I had to buy some paper and I have been carrying the remainder ever since and not needed it, a sort of wadded up paper good luck talisman. Lol. :no:

Interesting comment, we prefer to go to Hypermart rather than face he multitudes at Lee Plaza. I believe its he same owner.

What I find comical is so many locals waiting outside Lee Plaza from 8am onwards.....

I like Cangs even better! For having such a small parking garage, I have always been able to find a parking place with no trouble. :thumbsup:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Oh forgot, after almost 4 years in Cebu I never go back ever unless absolouly necessary.
I was there in 2008, 2009, and 2010 and agree with your statement.  Seems like the problems that used to annoy me get worse every year.  No point on dwelling about that though, some like it.  Perhaps we met while I was there but my memory is so bad that I don't recall  :tiphat:

• 1 month later...
mogo51
Posted
Posted

like the city this place is unable to cope with the expanding population.

You can change that to: like the Philippines is unable to cope with the expanding population.

The airports, the highways, the government buildings, the utility companies, the malls, the streets, everything. The locals here do not plan ahead, not even for 6 hours. They go to the market to get food 3 or 4 times each day instead of getting enough for the day or next. Tricycles everywhere. They have refs but the thinking is not there. It seems that others do not plan ahead either until the demand is too great then they have to work around it. We went to pay the electric bill yesterday but left as there was hundreds of people in line and only 2 cashiers. No online payment available. When the girls pay their tuition, there are hundreds of students lining up for hours as only two cashiers open. It seems like it was a surprise that the tuition is due. Same at the SSS. The DPWH reclaimed some land to expand the highway from 2 lanes to 4 but then after the highway was finished, the people moved back onto the outside lanes so it is back to 2 lanes in many places.

Well I am an expat in Pattaya Thailand and it is no different!  I still think you are in a better place, with military rule here expats are persona non gratia.

callippo
Posted
Posted

The central section of Dumaguete could be the most the crowded, and messed up/congested bit of the Visayas, and that includes even Colon and Opon, Lapu-Lapu which are the two other contenders that immediately spring to mind. Although I haven't been for a couple of years, even

Even 10 years ago it was bad. Outside town the situation improves massively. There is also fartol many foreigners in Dumaguete considering its small size (same as Toledo). There being so many of them affects the complexion of the whole place. There being a large number / amount of foreigners around per capita never has a good effect in Asia. See Fields, Pattaya, Chiangmai for over examples.

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted
Outside town the situation improves massively. There is also fartol many foreigners in Dumaguete considering its small size (same as Toledo). There being so many of them affects the complexion of the whole place. There being a large number / amount of foreigners around per capita never has a good effect in Asia. See Fields, Pattaya, Chiangmai for over examples.

Another member of this forum has said the same to me, privately, abour Dumaguete.

Your examples speak for themselves. Alas.

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Well I am an expat in Pattaya Thailand and it is no different! I still think you are in a better place, with military rule here expats are persona non gratia.
I claim almost all places are better than Pattaya   haha